INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOSSIPS Kitchen

Go down

GOSSIPS Kitchen Empty GOSSIPS Kitchen

Post by hound dog Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

I stopped by this place, advertising itself principally as an "oyster bar" on the Carretera in Ajijic yesterday and had some lunch. If I were to try to describe the theme of this place I would depict it as loosely resembling eclectic New Orleans style. The offerings are broad enough to please the diner with other, less regional, offerings.

The chef and (apparent) owner is a Kenyan and an entertaining fellow who, as he tells it, came in here to work for the Canadian conceit known as Restaurant Number Four and then started this place but, forgive me if I am a bit sketchy on the details. Let´s just say, at this point, that his offerings are worth your trying and include an oyster bar, seafood entrees, an interesting assortment of unusual sandwiches and a menu section designated as "HOOK UPS" with varied offerings such as crab cakes (with an overarching bow to Paul Prudhomme) fried catfish and tilapia and the like.

This guy presents some very tasty sauces including "curry", remoulade, chutney and other accompaniments and the remoulade I tried yesterday was excellent.

The chef/owner here is a Kenyan as stated earlier and, also as stated earlier, an amusing fellow and I enjoyed discussing his enterprise and goals as he goes forward. I think this guy has some great ideas, has a good background as a Kenyan chef and his food should add an important dimension to local cuisine if he lasts in a community not noted for innovative dining. Dawg lived in Kenya during the 1960s and GOSSIPS has nothing to do with East African food except for their bow to East Indian food influences in that region but it seems to me that his background in an area where various food preparations converge will give him a heads up in preparing his somewhat eclectic "New Orleans" style menu. Because of his background in polyglot East Africa, he should be accomplished at preparing dishes with exotic influences and, if he is good at that - not at all a foregone conclusion - he will add value to the local restaurant scene.

Yesterday, I had the so-called "Paul Prudhomme" crab cakes with cole slaw and some New Orleans style bread pudding. The crab cakes were OK if somewhat lacking in crab but still tasty, the cole slaw with a spicy mustard sauce was outstanding and the New Orleans style bread pudding was excellent only needing a dark aged rum sauce to have become exquisite.

If this guy lasts he will add immensly to the fare available here as he gets his legs. My experience at Lakeside tells me me the town is too stale and mired in tired midwestern values to welcome truly innovative cuisine. I hope I´m wrong. Meanwhile, get over there and try this marvelous new place. A fine and locally unique treat.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down