INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your impressions of Ixtlahuacan...

+9
solajijic
Pedro
viajero
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
Chapalagringa
Flamingo
CheenaGringo
ltollefs
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your impressions of Ixtlahuacan... Empty Your impressions of Ixtlahuacan...

Post by ltollefs Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Doing more 'google' walks and we would like to obtain residents opinions and experiences on Ixtlahuacan and its barrios (Lomas de Ixtlahuacan, Agua Escondida), if anyone would care to share - general feel, likes, dislikes, etc.  Muchas Gracias
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Your impressions of Ixtlahuacan... Empty Re: Your impressions of Ixtlahuacan...

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

We had a home built in Villas Lomas de Ixtlahuacan in 97/98 and sold it in 2006:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118146709599975173363/albums/5549521947449326689

I saw the comment made on TOB about how they didn't get the breezes off the lake but will correct that statement by saying that we did get the afternoon breezes during the hot/dry season which blew up the hillside and through the house when we had doors or windows open. Funny thing is that when we were selling the house FSBO, one of the most common criticism was that it was too cold on that side of the hill.

Should you have specific questions, please send me a PM and I will be only too happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 pm

We lived for about 5 months in Lomas de Ixtlahuacan. Problems with illegal electricity and obnoxious landlady.

Pros:
It is a real Mexican village, with no pretensions
Lomas and Agua Escondida have a rural feel and are fairly quiet except during festivals and parties
The Sunday tianguis is great fun. There is a little restaurant only open on Sundays during the market with some of the finest Mexican food I have tasted. Best place in town to get produce

Cons:
The area overall is poor and the infrastructure is dicey
Shopping is a challenge. I found one meat market that was OK and no fish market. Other than the tianguis, produce was iffy
Depending on who you ask, and where the house is located, Agua Escondida has some serious water and electrical issues
The drive to and from Chapala can be nerve wracking - with cows in the road and crazy Guadalajara drivers - and I wouldn't consider driving it at night.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:03 am

Con: "The drive to and from Chapala can be nerve wracking - with cows in the road and crazy Guadalajara drivers - and I wouldn't consider driving it at night."

While we did refrain from driving the highway from the lake on weekends because of the crazy weekend drivers, we never really hesitated driving into Chapala or Ajijic for dinner. Flamingo is absolutely right about the potential for cattle on the highway but I did get familiar with the spots where we could expect to find them. I wonder if the highway revisions at the Ixtlahuacan intersection may have helped clean up the cattle who liked to soak up the moon's glow along the highway?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 am

Cedros is a little pueblo not too far down the highway that you may want to google.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:51 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Con: "The drive to and from Chapala can be nerve wracking - with cows in the road and crazy Guadalajara drivers - and I wouldn't consider driving it at night."

While we did refrain from driving the highway from the lake on weekends because of the crazy weekend drivers, we never really hesitated driving into Chapala or Ajijic for dinner.  Flamingo is absolutely right about the potential for cattle on the highway but I did get familiar with the spots where we could expect to find them.  I wonder if the highway revisions at the Ixtlahuacan intersection may have helped clean up the cattle who liked to soak up the moon's glow along the highway?

I regularly drive to/from the airport in the dark. I have only seen cattle once and it was on the Libremeinto.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:56 am

CB:

In the "old days", we would see horses on the Libremeinto, especially right near the junction with the Chapala highway. And then cattle right in the first or second set of curves after you crest the hill and then again right at the old Ixtlahuacan junction. Many a night that it was like a slalom course getting back to Villas Lomas!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:00 am

We take all our visitors there to see the murals and enjoy Los Cinco Potrillos.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:25 am

Flamingo: You state, in part, " Agua Escondida has some serious water and electrical issues"

The electricity problems are an annoyance but do not rise to the level of serious, at least in my mind. Could you please elaborate on the water issues that you consider serious since I have not had any in over 3 years. Perhaps we could clear up this perception.

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am

Osoprehistorico:

Back in 2005/2006 when we were selling our house FSBO in Villas Lomas, people offering "helpful advice" to interested parties were warning about water problems. I was thrown for a loop because our development had a dedicated water supply from a very large well located up on the hill above Villas Lomas. In checking into this "rumor", I found out that it was in respect to some water issues being reported out of Agua Escondida. That said, I have absolutely zero verification that there were problems as being stated at that time.

As it turned out, because our well was producing so much water, the developer (before he passed away) agreed to deed over the excess water to the village of Ixtlahuacan to supply or at the very least augment the water supply for Ixtlahuacan.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:21 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Osoprehistorico:

Back in 2005/2006 when we were selling our house FSBO in Villas Lomas, people offering "helpful advice" to interested parties were warning about water problems.  I was thrown for a loop because our development had a dedicated water supply from a very large well located up on the hill above Villas Lomas.  In checking into this "rumor", I found out that it was in respect to some water issues being reported out of Agua Escondida.
Maybe that's why it's called Agua Escondida?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:05 pm

no doubt-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Living on the north side of the mountain is not the same as living in the communities along the lake. It is like wanting to live in lakeside towns in the US but settling for a place 8 miles inland in a farming community.

It works for some people.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Aguas Escondidas is just so uuuuugly...at least it was last time I was there. Lots of unfinished houses that have been unfinished for many years. Looks like a war zone.
I like Ixtlauacan, it's got a lot of Charm. Just a short drive and you are in the hub bub of it all.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:CB:

In the "old days", we would see horses on the Libremeinto, especially right near the junction with the Chapala highway.  And then cattle right in the first or second set of curves after you crest the hill and then again right at the old Ixtlahuacan junction.  Many a night that it was like a slalom course getting back to Villas Lomas!

Lo siento.......I thought we were talking about the conditions now a days in the 21st century.....jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Well, let me summarize and limit my observation to Agua Escondida at the present time.  Water comes twice per week and is potable.  In my case I have a cistern with a pump to my two roof tinacos.  The fracc pump was rebuilt last year and while it was down my cistern kept me supplied for those 2 weeks with a little self imposed rationing.  

I like it here because of the forest type atmosphere, the quiet, and distance between me and my neighbors.  Some may think it is ugly.  I do not.  The frac. fees are $2,500 pesos yearly and that includes water and two central garbage disposal sites.  Electricity for me runs around $350 per two months.

The lake doesn't mean much to me so being near what is left of it doesn't matter.  I know for many of you it does matter and that is a personal preference thing.  Agua Escondida is a very large fracc that has something for everyone's needs and wants.  It has received some bad raps, mostly either unjustified or dated.  I feel at home here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:Aguas Escondidas is just so uuuuugly...at least it was last time I was there. Lots of unfinished houses that have been unfinished for many years. Looks like a war zone.
I like Ixtlauacan, it's got a lot of Charm. Just a short drive and you are in the hub bub of it all.

Nothing like an honest opinion hehe

Come on the cemetery entrance is very inviting.

I've known people that live in there and they liked it. Different strokes for different folks.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Any place you choose to live is what you make of it.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:11 pm

That's true. I'm sure my neighborhood looks ugly to some people. Looks like home to me.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Any place you choose to live is what you make of it.

Bingo!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Ms.Thang wrote:That's true. I'm sure my neighborhood looks ugly to some people. Looks like home to me.

lol!  I was recently shocked at one opinion about my neighborhood...that it was a failed development...just made me laugh because passing by it the first time, not even coming in, my first thought was that this area would be easily targeted for break ins. The first time I came in here I thought it looked pretty dried up and dead/unkept. But I love it here, you figure out the ropes and make your own personal oasis inside the walls and love it! Have no desire to live anywhere else...it's home sweet home to me Very Happy

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:49 am

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't abandoned this thread, I've just been busy tying-up loose ends at work (2 weeks to go!). I will post a proper reply this evening.

Thanks again.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 am

I think it really depends if your are a "country" person or a "city" person. Most of the local activities, great restaurants and shopping are in Chapala & Ajijic so if you are into that you will do a lot of driving. If you are nervous driving through the mountains after dark then your times at the lake will be restricted. I would certainly do a short term rental there first to see if it works for you.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:48 am

More like a "suburban" person or a "very small town" person!
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:10 am

I am basing the water issue comment on a real estate sales person who lived there and our maid who lives there now. I was told some areas within the FRAAC have more issues than others.

I would agree with Mrs Thang - I much prefer Chapala Haciendas. Aguas Escondidas has very different vegetation and I don't find it especially attractive. But that is me.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next