INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Salmonella at the lakeside?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Charliej on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:42 pm

The wife and I both came down with salmonella last week.  We are out of the hospital now, but I am trying to figure where we got it.  If there were no other cases, it stands to reason that it came form some food that we prepared.  If there are other cases, maybe not.  Does anyone know if there has been a salmonella out break at the lakeside?  We are going over our food preparation habits to try and assure that this does not happen again, but it would be nice to know if others have been affected.
avatar
Charliej
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 96
Join date : 2012-08-20
Age : 72

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Trailrunner on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Have a friend in Chapala who has just recovered from it too. She thought a soft boiled egg might have done it.
avatar
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5511
Join date : 2011-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by brigitte on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:49 pm

I have gotten salmonella several times and my husband got typhoid and we never figured out where it came from.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3338
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 pm

never had it here. did have too much tequila and cervaza yesterday and got glassy eyed. i had some clam too.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:46 pm

A friend had it about two weeks ago. She thinks it was an over-easy egg that might have been undercooked, but she really does not know.
avatar
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6094
Join date : 2011-07-26
Location : Chapala
Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by zenwoodle on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:54 am

NEVER under cook eggs  Beer 
avatar
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1487
Join date : 2012-07-17
Age : 68
Location : Ajijic, formerly from Ontario
Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by brigitte on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:05 am

You can if you disinfect them first. The salmonella comes from the outside...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3338
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by hickton on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:31 am

Pedro wrote:never had it here. did have too much tequila and cervaza yesterday and got glassy eyed. i had some clam too.
that kills most diseases !!

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 539
Join date : 2013-03-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by CHILLIN on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:14 pm

Here is an interesting read about Mexican eggs in the Yucatan Times
http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2014/01/how-to-store-eggs-in-mexico/

Also a warning about botulism spread by garlic infused olive oil. Google it. There was a big poisoning in Vancouver quite a few years ago in a popular restaurant chain (White Spot for you coasters). It took them a long time to find the source.
avatar
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1142
Join date : 2011-08-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by simpsca on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Typhoid is a form of salmonella. Do you know which kind you had - there are many types of salmonella? You can get it from chicken and many other sources. But typhoid, a type of human salmonella, is usually contracted by someone preparing food who has salmonella and does not wash their hands after gong to the bathroom. That's why the signs in bathrooms for the help to wash their hands. It's not the only disease communicated this way. I had shigella two years ago and probably picked it up in some restaurant I went to.
avatar
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Posts : 2487
Join date : 2010-04-16
Age : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 pm

hickton wrote:
Pedro wrote:never had it here. did have too much tequila and cervaza yesterday and got glassy eyed. i had some clam too.
that kills most diseases !!
tasting clams, indeed,when indulging in tequila and cerveza. my favourite is the bearded clam.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Axixic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:44 pm

The longer you live in Mexico the greater the likelihood of exposure to both typhoid and salmonella - according to my doctor. Take precautions, of course. But accept the inevitable: it's not IF it will happen but WHEN.
avatar
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 61
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Axixic wrote:The longer you live in Mexico the greater the likelihood of exposure to both typhoid and salmonella - according to my doctor. Take precautions, of course. But accept the inevitable: it's not IF it will happen but WHEN.
been coming to mexico since '78-how about never fer those 2,nor the revenge;did get an amoeba a coupla years ago though. that's what's really common.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Axixic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:38 pm

[quote="Pedro"]
Axixic wrote:been coming to mexico since '78-how about never fer those 2,nor the revenge;did get an amoeba a coupla years ago though. that's what's really common.

Yeah; of course - YOUr experience is the only one that counts; because it ALL about YOU; Pedro; we all know that;


Last edited by Axixic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 61
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Axixic wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Axixic wrote:been coming to mexico since '78-how about never fer those 2,nor the revenge;did get an amoeba a coupla years ago though. that's what's really common.

Yeah; of course - YOUr experience is the only one that counts; because it ALL about YOU; Pedro; we all know that;
not really.but it is my experience and we ain't all the same and we don't even all have the same doctor. have fun anticipating, in any event.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by lunateak on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:54 pm

So, three cases of salmonella reported on this board? Any commonalities?
avatar
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1110
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 62
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm

lunateak wrote:So, three cases of salmonella reported on this board?  Any commonalities?
if it's restaurant related,i wonder if it was the same one.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by CheenaGringo on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Has anyone stopped to consider just how many amoebas, worms, germs, etc we have subjected our bodies to through the years and our immune systems have dealt with them either without symptoms or very low grade symptoms that we wrote off as no big deal?  You can be fairly sure that had you been tested during such an active period that a pathologist or lab tech would have recommended treatment.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6699
Join date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Axixic on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Good point, Neil - and exactly what my doctor had to say.

Despite the experiences of narcissistic members of this forum (why, oh why were they permitted to return?) the fact remains - salmonella/typhoid (and, as a previous poster mentioned, they ARE related) are endemic to Mexico. The chances that one is exposed are directly related to the time spent here.

I make it a point to "dose" (if that is the right word) myself every six months with Vermox Plus (de-wormer, for lack of a better term) but it will do NOTHING for salmonella/typhoid. THAT condition is a fact of life in Mexico. Your body learns to tolerate it or it does not.
avatar
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 61
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:33 pm

Axixic wrote:Good point, Neil - and exactly what my doctor had to say.

Despite the experiences of narcissistic members of this forum (why, oh why were they permitted to return?) the fact remains - salmonella/typhoid (and, as a previous poster mentioned, they ARE related) are endemic to Mexico. The chances that one is exposed are directly related to the time spent here.

I make it a point to "dose" (if that is the right word) myself every six months with Vermox Plus (de-wormer, for lack of a better term) but it will do NOTHING for salmonella/typhoid. THAT condition is a fact of life in Mexico. Your body learns to tolerate it or it does not.
if your body learns to tolerate,then it's not a problem is it. it's called a good immune system and works well for some of us. enough crap in old age to worry about without worrying about something that probly ain't gonna happen.what me worry? happy de-worming to ya. very weird taking more meds jist on spec. who's the narcissist-eh!
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:37 pm

2 caesar salads in sma. who really knows what the culprit was? the affected are much better now i understand
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Axixic on Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 am

[quote="Pedro"]
Axixic wrote:...very weird taking more meds jist on spec. who's the narcissist-eh!

Acting on the advice of a physician. Ever hear of people taking aspirin when they don't have a headache? The world is so much larger than your personal experience of it.
avatar
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 61
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Trailrunner on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:06 am

Axixic wrote:The world is so much larger than your personal experience of it.

Oooh, great line, Axixic!
avatar
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5511
Join date : 2011-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Pedro on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:30 am

Axixic wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Axixic wrote:...very weird taking more meds jist on spec. who's the narcissist-eh!

Acting on the advice of a physician. Ever hear of people taking aspirin when they don't have a headache? The world is so much larger than your personal experience of it.
i suggest you have your doctor check your bile production. it seems rather excessive. and taking a worm pill is an entirely difernt matter than aspirin which in that case is not taken to prevent headaches for all of us heart failure patients. yes the world is much larger than my personal experience. never have indicated that it wasn't.
you have never blessed us with any of your personal experience of course.
our vet does give our dogs worm pills.if my physician did that with me,he would no longer be my physician.
avatar
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 4600
Join date : 2012-11-29
Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Axixic on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:46 am

You know, Pedro - you have achieved a significant status: only one person thus far has made it to my ignore list. Obviously the standards are quite high. Congratulations - you made it, kid.
avatar
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1529
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 61
Location : Axixic

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmonella at the lakeside?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum