INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

GPS use

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GPS use

Post by natbug on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 am

So, yesterday I took a friend to Guadalajara to a Dr visit since she doesn't drive in Guad. I knew basically where I was going but took my GPS for the little stuff (like which exit on the three glorietas I had to go through). I was of the understanding that you can no longer mount your GPS on the windshield like I have done for years so I had to look at it in my lap which is obviously EXTREMELY dangerous. In the past I kept it just under rear view mirror so I could glance at it without breaking my concentration on the road. So, here's my question. Are all GPS units prohibited by law, and what happens if I mount it like I always have and get stopped. It seems if they are banned a LOT of people will not be going to Guad, or for that matter anywhere in Mexico.

natbug
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Re: GPS use

Post by Grizzy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 am

I bought a GPS holder that hooks onto an air vent so it can be mounted below dashboard. I still use it on top of the dashboard however. So far I have not been stopped about it.
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 am

As far as I know, it is only Jalisco who had the wisdom to pass this law. Factory mounted (in dash) units are allowed. On a recent trip to Mexico, I kept ours on the center console and that was less than ideal. There are mounts available that attach to your A/C vents. A friend told us that he tucks the GPS into his speedometer hood/cutout area and he didn't even know about the new law in Jalisco. Garmin also has a new toy that projects your screen up on your windshield while the GPS is tucked out of sight.

As I view the law, it just provides the police another excuse to pull you over if they can spot the unit!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:10 am

I still use mine all the time and haven't been hassled for it. It seems every fourth car I pass has the driver talking on a cell phone so maybe they can start with that.
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by natbug on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 am

I may just ignore the law and take my chances on being stopped. It's better than the alternatives...an accident or being hopelessly lost in Guad. BTW, where might I find the clips for the air vents?

natbug
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:44 am

Best Buy maybe?

To get an idea what they will look like:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=garmin%20gps%20air%20vent%20mount&sprefix=Garmin+GPS+air+v%2Caps%2C667
As you will see, there are models made by Garmin and then some aftermarket models. I have seen some smartphone air vent mounts that have enough adjustment to handle the Garmin.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by natbug on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:50 am

Might they fit a Tomtom, Garmin drives me crazy and my Tomtom works great in Mexico.

natbug
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:02 pm

Here is the page for TomTom:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_89_6?rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Atomtom+gps+air+vent+mount%2Cp_89%3ATomTom&keywords=tomtom+gps+air+vent+mount&ie=UTF8&qid=1396630586&rnid=2528832011

If you look at the following page - the second and third ones will give you an idea of universal mounts that can accept a GPS or smartphone:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=tomtom+gps+air+vent+mount&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Atomtom+gps+air+vent+mount

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum