INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passport renewal questions

+3
Rosa Venus
Rolly
Luisa
7 posters

Go down

Passport renewal questions Empty Passport renewal questions

Post by Luisa Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:35 pm

I feel foolish but I need advice about my renewal application.

Do I use my Mexican address or my mailbox in Laredo?

Will I need to provide a delivery address or will the consulate bring me my new passport?

Is the new photograph size different from the old photograph size/

What else am I forgetting to ask?

Thank you,
Luisa

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Passport renewal questions Empty Re: Passport renewal questions

Post by Rolly Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Where did you apply? If you applied in the USA, use your USA address. If you applied in Mexico at a US consulate, use your Mexican address. The picture size has not changed.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

If you have a couple of months before it expires, you can go talk to the Consulate Officers that visit the American Legion in Chapala or the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic the one day each month they come from Guadalajara. They'll give you a renewal application and instructions on what you need to bring back. This includes how to have the check made out, which you can do at the CIBanco at Centro Laguna, across from Wings Army. At least that used to be how they wanted payment. (The basic info is also available on the US Consulate Guadalajara Website.)
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm

Rolly wrote:Where did you apply?  If you applied in the USA, use your USA address.  If you applied in Mexico at a US consulate, use your Mexican address.  The picture size has not changed.

I will apply for renewal this week--in Chapala. The photos are supposed to be 2" x 2". I guess I'll use my local address, but I don't get good mail service and, yes, I tip the mailman when I see him.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by dcampbell757 Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:43 am

You can pick up your new Passport at the next monthly visit to Chapala or Ajijic. All very easy.

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:56 am

dcampbell757 wrote:You can pick up your new Passport at the next monthly visit to Chapala or Ajijic. All very easy.

Thank you.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:57 am

As far as timing goes, you can renew up 2 to 3 years early but lose your years, your new passport is only good for 10 years. Some people do this due to car issues and other due to travel as some countries want 6 months left on passports.

If you lose 2 passports in a 10 year period then you only will be issued a passport good for 1 year, every year (paying full price) until you do not show 2 lost in a 10 year period.

The consulate can get renewals done in as little as 2 weeks but that would mean a trip to Guadalajara to apply or pick up.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am

The $50 (?) fee has to be paid in a certain way .... but I forget
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:14 am

Please note that the Chapala American Citizen Services Monthly Outreach will only accept U.S. traveler checks (American Express and Visa ONLY) or bank checks payable to “U.S. Disbursing Officer” in U.S. denominations. There are no cash/card transactions. Bank checks in U.S. dollars are available from CI Banco*, located in the Centro del Lago Shopping Plaza, across from Walmart. (*Banco CI is not affiliated with the US Consulate General Guadalajara.)
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:24 am

Intercasa wrote:Please note that the Chapala American Citizen Services Monthly Outreach will only accept U.S. traveler checks (American Express and Visa ONLY) or bank checks payable to “U.S. Disbursing Officer” in U.S. denominations.  There are no cash/card transactions.  Bank checks in U.S. dollars are available from CI Banco*, located in the Centro del Lago Shopping Plaza, across from Walmart.  (*Banco CI is not affiliated with the US Consulate General Guadalajara.)

Thank you--unfortunately that's the part I already understood. I am not sure whether the check should be for $110 or for $135. I think $110 is the standard renewal fee, and I think that $135 includes the consulate services. I wrote the consulate two weeks ago and they wrote back a week later--saying all their answers are on their webpage. My passport doesn't expire until January so no problem. My husband's expired last month while he was in the hospital and it's that one I really care about renewing ASAP.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Passport renewal questions Empty U.S. Consulate - passport payment

Post by Marrell Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Intercasa wrote:Please note that the Chapala American Citizen Services Monthly Outreach will only accept U.S. traveler checks (American Express and Visa ONLY) or bank checks payable to “U.S. Disbursing Officer” in U.S. denominations.  There are no cash/card transactions.  Bank checks in U.S. dollars are available from CI Banco*, located in the Centro del Lago Shopping Plaza, across from Walmart.  (*Banco CI is not affiliated with the US Consulate General Guadalajara.)

Please note: The U.S. Consulate website is incorrect regarding payment made for renewals
locally. At Lakeside, payment is ONLY acceptable with a check issued thru CIBanco.

Only at the consulate in Guadalajara is payment accepted in U.S. traveler or bank checks.
Hopefully the website will soon be corrected.

Marrell
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down