INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon? My letter campaign is under way ;-)))

+5
Hensley
Chapalagringa
slainte39
viajero
MyrnaMinkoff
9 posters

Go down

Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon?  My letter campaign is under way ;-))) Empty Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon? My letter campaign is under way ;-)))

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi There!
I am thinking of the few things I will miss when we leave Oregon for our new home in Lake Chapala soon.  One such luxury service is ordering online from Amazon.  I use Amazon Prime for shipping at least once a week, as I don't really like going out shopping for staples, except for groceries.  I looked on Amazon's website and they do offer international shipping (not Prime) and I was wondering if Amazon's shipping to Lakeside is so costly, that it's not even worth it.  
I am a bit of a letter writer, and found success over the years (not taking all the credit of course), in suggesting that a fairly big commercial airline might offer a nonstop to Los Angeles, that was needed from our small city...  in getting a Trader Joe's to open in our small city, and in getting a gournet Bristol Farms Market to open near our old home in California.  I learned that major corporations do take suggestions seriously.  In my letter to Trader Joe's I put a link to a website for a new shopping center that was developing in Bend, and sure enough, that is where our very successful T J's now exists!  

So, I wrote to Amazon explaining what a large expat community resides in Lakeside, and if they ever wanted to test a version of Amazon Prime, that Lakeside would be the perfect testing ground.  If anyone agrees, it would be awesome if others wrote the same suggestion to Amazon Customer Service, and ask that it be forwarded to the proper departments including executives who make those kind of decisions.

Now the only other letter I have to write...   is to a small chain of organic fast food cafes called Laughing Planet, from Oregon!  Ha ha!!!   I know there are awesome cafes in Lakeside...  but I will miss LP's yummy organic Korean and Paleo Bowls!  Maybe I'll just have to mimic their recipes? Or can anyone suggest the best organic cafes in town? Thanks so much!!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon?  My letter campaign is under way ;-))) Empty Re: Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon? My letter campaign is under way ;-)))

Post by viajero Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Now you've got me thinking about writing a letter to In&Out Burger to see if they would be interested in opening up a location in Guadalajara.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon?  My letter campaign is under way ;-))) Empty Re: Does anyone have items shipped from Amazon? My letter campaign is under way ;-)))

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm

That's the spirit!!!
I figure if you put it out there... you just never know! Your effort might be happily rewarded, right?
;-)))
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

You're a good sport,Oregon 2,welcome to the forum.
Regarding:Amazon,I had some books shipped here from them and the shipping charges cost more than the books.
If you're a reader bring a Kindle or some other e-reader and open a library account in Oregon if you don't already have one.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome!!!
Yes, I agree that Kindle for books is perfect for living out of the USA.
Will catch you soon on the forum! I am loving being a member!!!
~Mary
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Oregon2LakeChapala wrote:Thanks for the welcome!!!  
Yes, I agree that Kindle for books is perfect for living out of the USA.  
Will catch you soon on the forum!  I am loving being a member!!!
~Mary

You're the best P.R. person CBob has ever had.  Very Happy
Welcome Mary, soon to be Maria.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:41 pm

Well thank you very much!
Uh... can you help me... what is CBob? I'm sure I will blush when I see I didn't know!
Yes... I will love going by Maria! And just can't wait for the new life in Lakeside!!!
My thought is... I will set up some kind of mixer to meet all of you kind folks... maybe a restaurant will help us have a lunch or cocktail event... our grand introduction to the folks who are helping us so much!!
Anyway... I hope I can focus on what I have to do to pack up as all I really want to do is stay on this forum!!!
~Nuevo Maria (as in Newbie)
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 pm

btw... just curious... is Slainte an Irish name?
Aye ta ti ta to ... not sure how to spell that ... although my roots are Irish: Delaney and Laverty
Cheers!
~Maria
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Oh... just did get it... Canuck Bob, right?
Just a little slow from the glitter of all the possibilities shining in my eyes!!!
Well... like I said a moment ago.. can't wait to meet all of you very interesting folks in Lakeside!!
~Maria
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Maria,
Yes, a grand welcome to you Maria!  

We can tell already we'll be awaiting for those descriptive posts from you :)  You may help us all to behave ourselves ;0)   (Right Pedro?)  So refreshing!  

Yes Canuck Bob, CBOB, Canuckleheadbob is what I originally nicknamed him before he started this forum.  He's our administrator.

You are arriving lakeside at a very good time regarding shipping services.  I have no idea if we are considered "prime" amazon shoppers but recently we had packages delivered through purchases on Amazon in the US which arrived through Estafeta in a timely manner:  http://www.estafeta.com/ They are very reliable here in Mexico and deliver to our home.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 am

Oregon2LakeChapala wrote:btw...  just curious... is Slainte an Irish name?
Aye ta ti ta to ...  not sure how to spell that ...  although my roots are Irish:  Delaney and Laverty
Cheers!
~Maria

First answer....I'll give you a clue...in Spanish it translates to "salud", but you translated it in your closing.
Second....are you trying to say?  conas ta tu?.....if so.....ta me go maith.
CBob?......he's the guy behind the curtain, sometimes known as "the wizard of........."
Delaney and Laverty.....sounds like a Dublin solicitor's office.   lol!
If you have Irish roots, the limbs will be the same.

go dte tu slan......both the 2 and 4 legged species.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:49 am

Thank you Slainte ...

and now a great old Irish saying for fun:

Dance as if no one were watching
Sing as if no one were listening
And Live every day
As if it were your last.

Great rules of life to aspire for!! Right?

But I guess I've wandered off the topic.... I'm still a newbie at the forum etiquette... so thanks all for letting me grow into this!

Cheers! Salud! Slainte!
~Maria
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:38 am

Are you bringing your 2 Mainecoon kitties? I have one also.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:36 am

Oregon2LakeChapala wrote:Thank you Slainte ...  

and now a great old Irish saying for fun:

Dance as if no one were watching
Sing as if no one were listening
And Live every day
As if it were your last.

Great rules of life to aspire for!!  Right?

But I guess I've wandered off the topic....  I'm still a newbie at the forum etiquette...  so thanks all for letting me grow into this!

Cheers!  Salud!  Slainte!
~Maria

Would you believe, I have a shirt with that printed on it....look for it when you get here and you will find me.  Beer

As we say in Irish and Spanish......

CAD MILE FAILTE!!!!.....a Mexico.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 am

Isn't that a great coincidence! Great... now I can find you when we arrive!!
And what is the last saying there? Maybe I'll study Spanish and Celtic?

;-)))
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Oregon2LakeChapala wrote:Isn't that a great coincidence!  Great...  now I can find you when we arrive!!
And what is the last saying there?  Maybe I'll study Spanish and Celtic?

;-)))

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND WELCOMES!!!!....a standard greeting in Ireland.

Send me a PM when you arrive Delaney & Laverty.....I'll take you to an Irish pub.  Beer Beer Beer

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MyrnaMinkoff Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Love that plan!!! Mucho gracias!!!
MyrnaMinkoff
MyrnaMinkoff

Back to top Go down

Post by wildharp Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Just got my first Amazon order today! Shipped on the 7th.  First said Nov 20, then 18th then came on 14th...not bad.  Just a small kitchen appliance for a test.  I clicked on Global Eligible over on the left and it listed whichever items could be shipped internationally.  Customs added around 20-30some percent. Worth it if it's something you really want or you can't get out easily.  Very Happy
wildharp
wildharp

Humor : no

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:27 am

I already tried getting a franchise from In and Out.....they are not interested in Mexico
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:59 am

Welcome newbie.  You'll enjoy it here.

About shipping:  My spouse and I have had myriad items shipped from the states during our over ten years here.  Some items, like computers, are so much more expensive here that it's worth the shipping and import costs. Our best bet has been Estafeta as the most reliable shipper.  Amazon has been a good supplier, and the kindle way will keep you in reading material.

I wrote Trader Joe's soon after arriving.  No response, but maybe you'll have better luck.  It's one of the top things we expats miss.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:25 am

How about Frys electronics but I would take a Trader Joes first. We tried to buy a traders joes 20 years ago. Privately held family owned german company and they run and own all stores.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down