INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering

+2
Lady Otter Latté
Clueless
6 posters

Go down

I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering Empty I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering

Post by Clueless Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:18 pm

I see that certified (I assume that means by a Notorio) vehicle papers are as valid as originals. I also found a while ago, it's the same for immigration papers and once used a certified copy a couple of years ago when returning to Mexico.

One thing I am wondering about.

I know the law says a permanent resident may not legally drive a NOB plated car; I also see in the laws that a police officer may not take your immigration papers (and many others). Again, this is from the laws I downloaded.

Maybe I'm being picky, but I'm wondering if a garden-variety traffic cop can ask/demand to see (as opposed to take) your immigration papers to see if you can drive a NOB plated car. The Devil is in the details.

And I totally agree about asking for free legal advice. An attorney's stock and trade is his/her time and knowledge, and it doesn't come for free to the attorney.

Thanks.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering Empty Re: I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:30 pm

My understanding is that only Federal police and immigration officials may ask what your immigration status is or ask to see your papers. That does not mean the transitos will not ask, just that they are not legally empowered to do so.
A friend who is permenente and still driving her foreign plated car was stopped for a traffic violation. The transito asked her if she was permenente. She said no. He DID NOT ask to see her card. After a friendly chit-chat he let her go, not even writing a ticket nor so much as hinting at mordita. It is the luck of the draw.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering Empty Re: I just downloaded a lot of Mexican laws (Thank you attorney Spencer) and am just wondering

Post by David Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:31 pm

A Residente Permanente cannot HAVE/OWN a temporarily imported car.  I'm pretty sure that one can DRIVE one provided it's not one's own.  Remember, the Policia Federal CAN ask to see your immigration document.  I think the Transitos cannot but they do anyway.  Most of them don't know anything about anything except red lights and no left turns.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:04 pm

David wrote:A Residente Permanente cannot HAVE/OWN a temporarily imported car.  I'm pretty sure that one can DRIVE one provided it's not one's own.  Remember, the Policia Federal CAN ask to see your immigration document.  I think the Transitos cannot but they do anyway.  Most of them don't know anything about anything except red lights and no left turns.

David, I started this thread, cause I didn't know the law. All is goood! Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:35 pm

A res perm cannot drive a foreign plated car (except spouses and direct family members) if the importer is not in the car and assuming the car is still legal. I believe that on traffic stops they can ask for immigration papers to validate an expired import permit.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 am

Clueless wrote:And I totally agree about asking for free legal advice. An attorney's stock and trade is his/her time and knowledge, and it doesn't come for free to the attorney.

Wouldn't you say that an attorney who joins and enters into discussions on this, or any other board, opens himself up to all kinds of questions, legal or otherwise. Especially when he leaves his credentials and contact info all over the place.
He is surely educated enough to say..."I can only answer that question or give you legal advice if make an appointment and come to my office"
There are hundreds of attorneys in Jalisco who are not members of this board, so Spencer has leg up with the members of this board in the competitive sense.  It's pretty simple, if you (in this case Spencer) don't want intercourse (verbal) with the membership, recuse yourself from the board.
I don't see Spencer complaining about this as much as other members.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down