INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing vehicle importation rules

+11
Intercasa
Pedro
addtocart
Playaboy
solajijic
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
David
CanuckBob
Gamina
Rolly
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Changing vehicle importation rules Empty Changing vehicle importation rules

Post by Rolly Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Copied from Mexconnect from a reliable poster:

A good facilitator who permanently imports cars just sent a PM saying that their contacts at Aduana and contacts with the car importers union, are saying that no used cars older than 10 years will be allowed to be nationalized after Jan 1, 2015.

Further, the car importers union is working out deal to let non-nafta cars be nationalized.
... ???

People who were planning to import 2004 model year and older cars next year, may instead want to do their permanent imports before Jan. 1, 2015???
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Changing vehicle importation rules Empty Re: Changing vehicle importation rules

Post by Gamina Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:27 pm

First they tell us that if we want to live in Mexico permanently we have to import our vehicles or buy another one here.  Then they say that the vehicle can't be older than a 2007/8.  NOW they are saying that perhaps we can't import a vehicle that is older than 10 years!!!!!!  What the heck is going on?  Does Mexico want our money and volunteer support or do they want us to go elsewhere?  Before I embarked on this permanente thing I had an idea to go to Laredo and start over with a new temporal.  Maybe I should have followed that instinct.  This is so discouraging!!!!! Blackeye
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:04 am

The politicos in the DF probably never think once about permanent retirees and the money they spend as it is a drop in the bucket.  They would be more concerned about the free wheeling spenders that come for a week or two or maybe a month and  have a certain amount of money to get rid of in that time period, in places like PV, Costa Alegre, Cancun, BCS, and other tourist hot spots, where they can live it up. The budget minded retirees living on S.S. and other pensions are not a top priority. I would imagine even the 180 day snowbirds spend more per day for time spent here, than the permanentes, who avail themselves more to the services provided, such as they are, than the people who spend less time here.
How many hotel rooms are there in PV compared to Lake Chapala? Even  if there was only 50% occupancy there, it would swamp the revenue collected here for the same revenue source. The government wants dollars to come into the country and they really don't care how, but I'm sure they prefer tourist dollars and Mexican workers sending money home, as opposed to drug money....
......maybe, and probably not in all cases, as some of the people in power are full of greed up to their eyeballs.

s

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:31 am

Agreed Slainte. People coming down should just get rid of their NOB car and buy a Mexican one once they get here. I don't understand why anyone, coming to live here FT, would bring one down given all the hassles and ever changing regulations.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:11 am

CanuckBob wrote: I don't understand why anyone, coming to live here FT, would bring one down given all the hassles and ever changing regulations.

It's called, masochism.  Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 am

Vehicles made for the US or Canadian markets are different from the vehicles in Mexico. Better safety features is a big bonus in my book. As well as less polluting.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:50 am

Ha!  A total fallacy.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:00 pm

If I was moving down here now, there is no way I would bring a foreign plated car.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Please explain David. Safety standards for US cars are much higher than Mexican standards.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:07 pm

True, but most manufacturers who export make cars that meet US, Canada, and Mexico standards.  It's too costly to make 3 versions to ship from Korea, Japan, or even Canada.  Small vehicles made in Mexico specifically for the Mexican market do not meet USA or Canadian standards.  Some vehicles made in Mexico for all 3 markets are single version that meets all. e.g. Honda CRV.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:20 pm

OK, I'll go along with you. Interestingly, when I got insurance on my newly Mexican plated US car, the insurance company was insisting that the parts for my CRV were more expensive than Mexican CRV's and therefore were justified in charging me more for insurance than if the car was bought in Mexico.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:31 pm

An insurance company came up with a reason to charge more for coverage? Amazing!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Gamina wrote:OK, I'll go along with you.  Interestingly, when I got insurance on my newly Mexican plated US car, the insurance company was insisting that the parts for my CRV were more expensive than Mexican CRV's and therefore were justified in charging me more for insurance than if the car was bought in Mexico.  

That's just BS.  Maybe you need to shop around.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Higher insurance costs for nationalized cars is common. Some companies won't insure them at all.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:43 pm

I did shop around. I won't deal with Qualitas (so they were eliminated) because of two previous bad experiences. One of which was to take them before PROFECO to get them to pay what they owed. I ended up with the only ins. company that would insure me in the way I preferred.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Do you think all new cars sold in Mexico are Mexican manufactured.  My Chrysler product purchased at Dalton in Guad, new, says on the factura and referencia estatal..."hecho en USA".
As far as I am concerned personally, insurance, etc., it's treated as a domestic car and nothing to do with the nationalization process.

Last edited by slainte39 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by solajijic Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Our little MX-plated ATOS runs about $4000 pesos per year to insure and the MX-plated Honda Van is over $6000 pesos. The US-plated Jaguar is $6000 and the Jeep Wagoneer is $4000. This cluster of vehicles all at differing book value is informative. There haven't been any claims and we haven't jumped around companies. Both US-plated are also storage insured via a family policy in the US.

Even though the Grand Wagoneer is a 1990 it was quoted at $3500US to nationalize, the Jaguar is a bit higher cost. That is really too much money. We have opted to have me stay Temporal since I am unwilling to sell either vehicle.

I am sure I am not even a blip on the Mexican government policymakers radar. They are doing what they think is best and my situation does not enter into their considerations. I don't expect them to ever consider a US retiree need before the bigger picture.

solajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : "I a, a practical woman. Sentiment only takes one so far. At some point, practicality must enter the room."

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Rolly wrote:Higher insurance costs for nationalized cars is common.  Some companies won't insure them at all.

This is absolutely true.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:12 am

I have different contacts than you Rolly.

I have been told that non-nafta cars can be imported, have alway been able to import, to Mexico if you want to pay the IVA and IMPORT DUTIES. Any year, any model, any country of origin.

Nafta cars pay only IVA. That is what the NAFTA treaty is all about.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by addtocart Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 am

Playaboy wrote:I have different contacts than you Rolly.  

I have been told that non-nafta cars can be imported, have alway been able to import, to Mexico if you want to pay the IVA and IMPORT DUTIES.  Any year, any model, any country of origin.

Nafta cars pay only IVA.  That is what the NAFTA treaty is all about.
You are the first person, in nearly two years of this subject bouncing around, who has said that.  Everyone has "contacts".  Many of them have either run off with people's money or been hauled up on charges.
addtocart
addtocart
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:41 am

He didn't say "everyone has contacts."   Perhaps he should have said he'd heard something different.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:25 am

My understanding, and I won't say where I got this info, is that any car can be nationalized into Mexico. It's a matter of money owed being different with different circumstances and is legal nationalization.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:43 am

there are all kinds of foreign cars being driven around here-how did they get in. a mexican friend bought 2 japanese motos at auction in cali and brought them in.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:51 am

Any car can be nationalized. BUT... depends on the year, mileage, and how nationalized. Right now there have been many changes so little is getting done. Most people need to wait for the dust to settle and then look into it, people will gladly take your money but getting it back or getting papers that are not fake is another story.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:07 pm

David wrote:He didn't say "everyone has contacts."   Perhaps he should have said he'd heard something different.

I think the previous poster to yours, said that, not playaboy, as there is a period after "said that".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next