INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stinky Laptop

+4
jrm30655
Zedinmexico
ltollefs
mattoleriver
8 posters

Go down

Stinky Laptop Empty Stinky Laptop

Post by mattoleriver Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:44 pm

I just bought a used laptop via Ebay. When it arrived I was nearly knocked over by the horrible tobacco stench coming from the darn thing! It looked clean and I've wiped it down a few times but the stench remains. For now it is out in the garage airing out.Smokealot

I don't want to spray it with Febreze nor sprinkle baking soda all over it and I can't think of anything else to do. Does anybody know how to get tobacco smell out of a computer?

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Stinky Laptop Empty Re: Stinky Laptop

Post by ltollefs Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:39 am

mattoleriver wrote:I just bought a used laptop via Ebay. When it arrived I was nearly knocked over by the horrible tobacco stench coming from the darn thing! It looked clean and I've wiped it down a few times but the stench remains. For now it is out in the garage airing out.Smokealot

I don't want to spray it with Febreze nor sprinkle baking soda all over it and I can't think of anything else to do. Does anybody know how to get tobacco smell out of a computer?

George

Goodmorning mattoleriver,

If you have the tools, and the nerve, you could open the cases and clean the components with electronic switch cleaner, avoiding components that actuate in any way (drives, fans). There is a lot of surface area in there and anything you attempt externally will be second best. That being said, unless you have some experience working with laptops, I'd avoid it. Laptops come apart easily enough, but putting them back together can be a treat. One of life's true joys is spending an hour putting a laptop back together only to find an unidentifiable part sitting at your elbow. Keep all throwables out of easy grasp! Perhaps you could use a dryer sheet as a base pad for the laptop and the warmth from the system might activate the sheet sufficiently to mask some of the smell (just guessing here).
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:31 pm

See the fans have put the smell over every component inside the unit.  Can you take it back??  I think it has to be taken apart and cleaned using deionized water or some other voodoo material. Frankly when we found units like this when I worked for HP we would throw it away and not even try to clean it.  Ever clean the walls of a smokers house??? You will find the inside to be coated with a sticky brown substance which can be cut with  solvents only.  The sticky nature of this stuff allows the dust to settle and create a real mess.  I don't know how bad your problem is but if person held a smoke near the fan intake the unit may be covered on the inside.  Check it out and at least have the unit blown out by someone who knows how to take apart and put back after cleaning. Lets hope I am wrong and unit is clean inside and not brown coated if so the smell will go away in time.

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Go on youtube and see if you can find a repair video. If so you can take it apart and wipe the inside with alcohol. Regular IPA that you get at the drugstore will work.

Dampen a cotten swab with alcohol and wipe down the inside, being careful to not disturb stuff.

If you have a digital camera, use it to make pictures.

If you can get the fan out easily, clean the blades carefully.

After you wipe it down with a DAMP, not WET rag, put it in front of a fan for 30 minutes or so and reassemble. Make sure that everything is dry before reassembly.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Must have bought from the same guy that sold me a Sony camera years ago ...... yuck!
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:06 am

jrm30655 wrote:Go on youtube and see if you can find a repair video.  If so you can take it apart and wipe the inside with alcohol.  Regular IPA that you get at the drugstore will work.

Dampen a cotten swab with alcohol and wipe down the inside, being careful to not disturb stuff.

If you have a digital camera, use it to make pictures.

If you can get the fan out easily, clean the blades carefully.

After you wipe it down with a DAMP, not WET rag, put it in front of a fan for 30 minutes or so and reassemble.  Make sure that everything is dry before reassembly.

Be careful down here much IPA is contaminated. I use the stuff one buys at the liquor store next to Superlake labeled Alcohol Etilco sin desnaturalizar 96 G.L. DRX on front.
Much for sale is for use in massages and we would call it rubbing Alcohol. Do not use this stuff it will leave a coating on the inside of the laptop. Also use outside as this stuff stinks and is very much a fire danger. Purest stuff I have found down here but I bet a chemical house would have better. All the Alcohol at WalMart is junk. If you are still in PNW go to Fred Meyer and they have two types. Buy the 99% stuff. Anybody know who sells 99% lakeside?? Very handy stuff. It even takes nicotine off wall.

Z

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunyan Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:03 am

How 'bout taking it to Benno's & letting them clean it? I hear they're pretty good at what they do.

Bunyan

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions but I think that my comfort level hovers around letting time and fresh air do the bulk of the chore.

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:46 pm

i smoke purros. bring it here and i'll make it smell much better
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Try placing it open in a small enclosed space with a bowl of vinegar and use vinegar to wash it all over with a cloth
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down