INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17

5 posters

Go down

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Empty Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17

Post by sparks Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:36 pm

The fishing has been quite good for over 2 months now.. Today Konan came back with a Sailfish and 2 dorado. Rafa of the Mary Chuy came back with a Blue Marlin, 105 kilos, a Sailfish and a Dorado. Another boat came back with 3 Dorado..

Next week is the big tourney at the Grand Bay Marina.. 5pm is deadline for weighing fish. See you all there..

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 <a href=Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Fish-b10" />
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Empty Re: Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17

Post by sparks Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Gringos on Friday with Jerry Kosonoy.

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 <a href=Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Friday10" />
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Nice haul. I'm fishing Manzanillo the first week of March. Hope it holds up till then.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Quite a turn around.  I posted a foto of the big Marlin and asked if a tourney winner.  Here's the answer from someone that knows

This 92 kg marlin, the only one caught (which looked to me to be no more than 60 kilos) won big fish, but they were too cheap to pay the $500 pesos ($125 pesos per 4 anglers … less than 10 bucks each) to enter the jackpot, which was worth $25000 pesos. That went to the guys with the biggest sailfish which was tiny also. Only one dorado caught, maybe 7 kilos … but the team was disqualified because they were trolling 5 lines. No tuna either. Another traditional disastrous end to this tournament. Primarily a dorado tournament … 58 boats with no dorado caught, no tuna caught, only one marlin and I think 5 sailfish, all of which would be considered juveniles anywhere else in the fishing world .. oh sorry, one needlefish and one Chula … which is technically a tuna I suppose (juvenile dogtooth). Was it two or three years ago we had 68 boats entered and only one 3lb barillette was caught … so they rescheduled it again 3 months later with over 70 boats and only one boat caught a dorado, a whopping 5 pounder that won that? That's 140 boats with 4 lines over two days (three months apart) … almost 600 lines in the water … with one ___ing 5lb dorado to show for it! I am so disgusted with the rampant over commercial fishing here … it has wiped out everything. Shame on us … the people of this area, including the snowbirds with boats here and fishing interests, myself included, for having stood by and let this happen. I hardly ever fish here anymore and not sure why I keep entering these tourneys. I'll bet the half dozen fish caught today were the last of anything in our area for a while. I don't know what else to say, other than I hope we aren't advertising or posting anything about this tournament here, or fishing of any kind here for that matter (I certainly won't) anywhere .. this is beyond embarrassing.
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:54 am

Oh my gawd, that's the worst fish report I've ever read, it's almost end of the world bad. Having misspent my youth working on charter sport and commercial fishing boats for fun rather than money, just to fish, you can bet I followed fish reports with a passion. And lucky I was to have spent so many months fishing the area between Zihauatanejo and Manzanillo in the mid-70's. The entire region was a fish trap.

If you would Sparks, please PM me this posters e-mail address or direction and screen name to where he posts, it would be much appreciated.

Also, a couple of quick questions, a big indicator of the fish population will be the bird population. Does there seem to be more or less or about the same mount of seagulls and pelicans as in the past? If you look at old pictures of the boats and docs there will be lots of birds. What does it look like now? Another indicator will be the bait fish, have they also been fished out? I think I know the answer and that makes the above report catastrophic on so many levels.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:08 am

Here's a link to the thread but you can't read it unless you are logged in to TomZap
http://69.73.170.179/ph5/read.php?12,175552

Some people agree, others blame it on the weather and some say February is always bad

Sardines and birds are seasonal but we are not seeing as many as in the past .... but I really don't remember what time of year there are tons of them
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:45 am

I was in Manzanillo in early January and the surf in Manzanillo Bay was teaming with fish and Pelicans.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks for link Sparks and the bait/bird observation CBob, it's a good sign. Now the question is, where are the game fish? What freaked me out was the following catch report for their tournaments:

"58 boats with no dorado caught, no tuna caught, only one marlin and I think 5 sailfish, all of which would be considered juveniles anywhere else in the fishing world ... Was it two or three years ago we had 68 boats entered and only one 3lb barillette was caught … so they rescheduled it again 3 months later with over 70 boats and only one boat caught a dorado, a whopping 5 pounder that won that? That's 140 boats with 4 lines over two days (three months apart) … almost 600 lines in the water … with one ___ing 5lb dorado to show for it!"

I hope the OP is way off and half crazy but have a sickening feeling he isn't. We'll see.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 am

The salmon disappeared from the BC coast for several years. The fisheries were all shut down, etc., etc. Then one year they all re-appeared in record numbers. It was very strange. Hopefully the same phenomenon is at work here. I think it is climate change on the ocean currents.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:27 pm

i fished melaque about 11years ago ,paid a small fortune and caught about a 10 lb. fish of unknown species to me. not interested in doing that again. always caught my sails in zihuat.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:The salmon disappeared from the BC coast for several years. The fisheries were all shut down, etc., etc. Then one year they all re-appeared in record numbers. It was very strange. Hopefully the same phenomenon is at work here. I think it is climate change on the ocean currents.

Yeah, same with the striped bass off the eastern seaboard, 5+ year moratorium. The good news is the population recovered and it's been great fishing ever since they adopted the strict catch limits. I hope Mexico has what it takes to do the same. Of course if it's climate change all bets are off.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by gpbasap Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 am

Pedro wrote:i fished melaque about 11years ago ,paid a small fortune and caught about a 10 lb. fish of unknown species to me. not interested in doing that again. always caught my sails in zihuat.

I've always thought that sailfish were one of the most beautiful ocean fish. Zihuatanejo has/had some great sail fishing.
Would you post pictures of some of the sailfish you caught?
gpbasap
gpbasap
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 pm

gpbasap wrote:
Pedro wrote:i fished melaque about 11years ago ,paid a small fortune and caught about a 10 lb. fish of unknown species to me. not interested in doing that again. always caught my sails in zihuat.

I've always thought that sailfish were one of the most beautiful ocean fish. Zihuatanejo has/had some great sail fishing.
Would you post pictures of some of the sailfish you caught?
here's 2

Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Facebo10
Barra Fishing Report Jan. 17 Facebo11
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:04 am

I guess the following is good news regarding the game fish. Scientists are thinking they have left the coastal waters of California because of the rise in water temperature. I hope they are right as it may be the cause for the disappearance of 'our game fish'.

Starving Sea Lions Washing Ashore by the Hundreds in California

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/13/us/starving-sea-lions-washing-ashore-by-the-hundreds-in-california.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down