INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lulabistro in Guad (A world class resturant in my opinion)

+10
Jerry00
CanuckBob
itsme
arbon
slainte39
hank chance
David
viajero
Pedro
Zedinmexico
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

lulabistro in Guad   (A world class resturant in my opinion) - Page 2 Empty Re: lulabistro in Guad (A world class resturant in my opinion)

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:59 pm

hank chance wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Philadelphia roll is nothing new. Guadalajara certainly wasn't the first to get it.

No but it was once considered by Guadalajara foodies as gourmet sushi.

Well I call it desert sushi and it is pretty damn good.....jaja!!!!

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

lulabistro in Guad   (A world class resturant in my opinion) - Page 2 Empty Re: lulabistro in Guad (A world class resturant in my opinion)

Post by Jerry00 Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Looks like Bubba is back.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:31 pm

What.....Moshi Moshi is not gourmet sushi?
How do I break that news to mis nietas tapatias?  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Jerry00 wrote:Looks like Bubba is back.

At his old location in Riberas del Pilar?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 pm

So very not nice. Moshi moshi is how a Japanese answers the telephone. Nothing to do with food. Sheesh.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:52 pm

David wrote:So very not nice.  Moshi moshi is how a Japanese answers the telephone.  Nothing to do with food.  Sheesh.

Sheesh yourself....I know what moshi moshi means, but you obviously don't know that Moshi Moshi is the most popular sushi establishment in Guadalajara.
That's what it has to do with food in the context of this thread.
....in fact....Double Sheesh

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm

When I want sushi I go to Suehiro. I think you don't know anything about Japan or the Japanese. Ano ne!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 pm

David wrote:When I want sushi I go to Suehiro.  I think you don't know anything about Japan or the Japanese.  Ano ne!

Never said I did, but I certainly know that Moshi Moshi is a popular sushi restaurant in Guadalajara, which makes it have something to do with food, which you didn't seem to know.
No argument about the quality of food at Suehiro....been eating there for over 30 years.  In fact my daughter's last birthday family dinner was at Suehiro.
I'll leave it up to you to fill us in on Japan and the Japanese, as I think you are chomping at the bit.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:09 pm

chomping at the bit-is that some other sort of means of eating japanese ?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hank chance Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Suehiro has been going downhill for years. The fare at Tinto y Blanco is a far cry from excellent and certainly not gourmet by any standard. We went twice and both times and to be nice, it was nondescript.

I would recommend Corazon de Alcachofa over any of the restaurants listed by David. The most memorable meal there was pan fried fresh trout with a pine nut crust and served with a drizzzle of bitter orange/achiote reduction that reminded me of cochinita pibil but sweeter.

hank chance

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Forget about Suehiro's as a sit down table kind of place. Just sit at the sushi bar and go nuts. Awesome, and they cut huge.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 am

Agreed!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:05 am

slainte39 wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote:
slainte39 wrote:Not Hank, but......
I'm a steak, potatoes, and salad kind of person, so I would rate La Vaca Argentina, La Matera, El Fogon del Pibe, Almecen del Bife, and a few other similar type restaurants ahead of Lula, but that's just a personal preference of the type of food I like.
Lula is great for an unique experience but not a regular go to place for me. He has named it "bistro", which usually indicates "modest" food and prices, which it has neither.  The only thing "bistro", is the location, in an old warehouse that has been optimized to the max (for a warehouse).
My favorite "food" there are the pints of Guinness, which taste better than the ones I buy at Paz Licoreria.
Maybe it's the Irish touch that makes that happen.
80% of what I eat there, I don't know what it is, and don't want to know Very Happy .  And as far as feeling full, I always liken it to the Pemex pump, where I watch the liters and the total pesos, and wonder which one I'll squirm on  first.

Is he bringing in his Guinness from Ireland?   It does taste different than the Carib Guinness in my experience.  I get the warehouse thang. Its about the color, design, taste, and layers of the food not the building.  Will check out the resturants you mentioned thanks that's what I was looking for.  More choices laugh out loud.

Z

Zed, there isn't any Guinness brewed in  Mexico, so it would have to be imported from Ireland or Nigeria.  Glad someone else thinks it tastes different and it's just not me. It almost tastes like draught, which I know it isn't.

According to Guinness they have 50 breweries including the US and the Carib.  I find Irish Guinness to taste different especially over Carib Guinness.
Actually prefer Minerva Imperial Stout which is more like a porter in my opinion and locally fresh and available.  I know this is a terrible thing to say but I will say it I actually prefer Murphys over Guinness. It is sweeter to my taste buds but I know I am the minority opinion on the irish stout issue.....  Bought a Minerva pale ale with the lula meal not noticing the Guinness available.  Probably should have done Guinness as the chef is Irish.  The Pale ale went very well with the six course.

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:21 am

itsme wrote:"Same meal in Napa, SF, Portland, Seattle would be twice as much."

Just curious as to how much it would cost in Spain, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Australia, etc.? Actually, as I am here in Mexico, what difference does it make how much as I am paying here. I live here and spend my money here, so why are you comparing prices to somewhere else? Unless it is some other restaurant in the area I cannot see what bearing it has. Beer

The relevancy is it is inexpensive compared to US.   I don't understand why you care about what we care about.  Others agree with my opinion.  I can afford the good food here monthly.  In US a good meal like Lula is a once a quarter thing.  That's relevant to me laugh out loud.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 am

Again, I agree!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:30 am

Zedinmexico wrote:
slainte39 wrote:

Zed, there isn't any Guinness brewed in  Mexico, so it would have to be imported from Ireland or Nigeria.  Glad someone else thinks it tastes different and it's just not me. It almost tastes like draught, which I know it isn't.

According to Guinness they have 50 breweries including the US and the Carib.  I find Irish Guinness to taste different especially over Carib Guinness.
Actually prefer Minerva Imperial Stout which is more like a porter in my opinion and locally fresh and available.  I know this is a terrible thing to say but I will say it I actually prefer Murphys over Guinness. It is sweeter to my taste buds but I know I am the minority opinion on the irish stout issue.....  Bought a Minerva pale ale with the lula meal not noticing the Guinness available.  Probably should have done Guinness as the chef is Irish.  The Pale ale went very well with the six course.

Z

Yep, it's just one of the many Diageo enterprises.
Don't apologize for your tastes as everyone is an individual.  Why, I even have cousins and friends in Ireland that prefer Budweiser over Guinness..... lulabistro in Guad   (A world class resturant in my opinion) - Page 2 374777
Down in County Cork, Murphy's outsells Guinness, as it is the local brew, and you see Corona everywhere in Ireland, as well as Heineken, which is very popular.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Viva! Victoria! Best beer period!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Zedinmexico wrote: ...It is sweeter to my taste buds but I know I am the minority opinion on the irish stout issue.....  
Zed, it sounds like you might like a milk stout. Milk stout contains some lactose (milk sugar) which is not fermented by the yeast. There aren't many milk stouts around but every once in awhile Widmers will put one out as a seasonal brew. If you ever find yourself in your old neighborhood in the middle of Winter you might look for one, or two, ... Beer
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 pm

I just had my 1st cerveza "Bohemia" today poured into a chilled glass. I liked it. It had some tasty character. I think I'll repeat the experience. "Modello". WTF is that shit. I guess it gets drunk 'cause there's some alcohol in it and you can't trust the local water. But hey, buy the stock, zilch in - gazzilions out.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lobita Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Back to the sushi part of the thread ... 1.5 years away from Seattle, and I am missing sushi something terrible. I know that El Barco advertises sushi but frankly, I am afraid to try it. o.O

Can someone give me an idea of the prices at Suehiro?
lobita
lobita
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:14 pm

Suehiro is affordable. Let's take the beer and sushi conversation to new threads. They have nothing to do with Lula Bistro. C'mon mods!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:39 pm

We spent our New years eve 2013/14 at Suehiro. We were staying at Hotel Morales for 2 nights - awesome - stay there. SO , says us, with zilch planning, it's New Years, let's party, this'll be easy. NOT. We got into Suehiro's on the premiss - in @ 1800, out @  2000. You'll be at the bar, our intended destination. Great. So, great seafood, cut large - that's the sashimi side. Sushi - OK. Our cutters were 2 Mexicans and a Turk. Nice guys, cut huge. The sushi  rice, barely OK - they just don't get it. SUSHI - IT'S ALL ABOUT THE RICE. The sushi rice apprenticeship takes 8 - 10 yrs. in Japan. In Vancouver, B.C. - "TOJO'S".
  Anyway, properly lubricated (+ 1 bottle of good sake), great seafood cuts and some sides, US$ 130.00 with a 15% tip. Tripy place. Go
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Get it. Got it. Approve. Sorry. Outta here.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:47 am

borderreiver wrote:I just had my 1st cerveza "Bohemia" today poured into a chilled glass. I liked it. It had some tasty character. I think I'll repeat the experience. "Modello". WTF is that shit. I guess it gets drunk 'cause there's some alcohol in it and you can't trust the local water. But hey, buy the stock, zilch in - gazzilions out.

Bohemia Clara is the best in my opinion Clara in Mexico. I agree it has character which the normal Modelo/Tecate Clara stuff lacks. Bohemia Clara is a very nice hot weather beer when my Normal Minerva Stout is just too much. In the obscura I think I like Negra Modelo better than Bohemia Obscura but I know many folks would disagree with me.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:51 am

mattoleriver wrote:
Zedinmexico wrote: ...It is sweeter to my taste buds but I know I am the minority opinion on the irish stout issue.....  
Zed, it sounds like you might like a milk stout. Milk stout contains some lactose (milk sugar) which is not fermented by the yeast. There aren't many milk stouts around but every once in awhile Widmers will put one out as a seasonal brew. If you ever find yourself in your old neighborhood in the middle of Winter you might look for one, or two, ... Beer

Thanks new term for me Milk Stout. Will investigate always fund to find something new!!  You are right I did miss many things from PNW like Twilight ale , Torpedo IPA and I like  Widmers Hefe.   You coming down???

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:04 am

Started beer string to talk about Mexican available beer.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2