INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital

+3
Smartalex
CHILLIN
sm1mex
7 posters

Go down

Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital Empty Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital

Post by sm1mex Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Has anyone tried any of their meat there? If so how is it? I'm interested in finding a good steak I can grill.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital Empty Re: Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital

Post by CHILLIN Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Good beef steak has to be wet aged or dry aged. Wet aged for 14 days will improve the tenderness but not the flavor (bland). Likewise dry aging for 14 days will tenderize but no flavor. Dry age for 31 to 40 days the beef will be very tender and very tasty. The process also shrinks the meat by about 15%. The only wet aged meat I have seen here (maybe more clientele in Guadalajara though) is the Arrachera cut. 31 to 40 dry age steak costs about $45 U.S. per pound in the U.S.A. That is uncooked.

In the past two or three years they introduced a dry aging technology which is easy to follow at home, using your home refrigerator and special bags:
http://www.drybagsteak.com/
I have some of these, but you cannot dry age individual steaks, you must age the whole subprimal cut. In the case of rib eye "cowboy" steaks or standing rib roast - that is a 5 kilo cut.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital Empty Re: Mr. Bull Meat Market across from Ajijic Clinic Hospital

Post by Smartalex Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 pm

I have bought beef, pork and chicken from the Mr. Bull's in Chapala. Everything was clean and fresh...which is how I like my meat.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:09 pm

IMHO, the only good beef available here is at Costco.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:50 am

Smartalex: Was the beef tender. In other words could you chew it !!

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

sm1mex wrote:Smartalex:  Was the beef tender.  In other words could you chew it !!

Yeah...the bifstek was a lot more tender than what I have come to expect from Mexican beef. Haven't tried their filete because it's frozen and I can get very tender, unfrozen filete from the butcher just inside the main entrance to the Chapala mercado.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:04 pm

at the outside at the north corner is where i get it fresh off the pickup truck. fillet does not need aging as it is a different muscle than steak.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Ditto on the butcher just inside the main entrance, on the left, of the Chapala mercado publico. I am craving some of his smoked bacon, sliced thick.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Yep. Best bacon in the area.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:06 pm

all 3 of them sell good bacon[probably the same supplier] and his is the most costly. you know it's good because there is no, or very little nitrite as a preservative. we've had some go bad because we didn't consume it quickly enough.
never happened NOB.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down