INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SP versus IMSS

+2
kiko
Trailrunner
6 posters

Go down

SP versus IMSS Empty SP versus IMSS

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:10 am

My IMSS is about to expire and I'm having a hard time wanting to re-up due to some very bad experiences by a couple of friends at Tlajomulco IMSS - which is where we have to go from this area. They all say the same thing; the hospital is new and fine, the docs and nurses are good, but the way it's run and the administration absolutely SUCKS! Missed appts, lost charts, right hand having no idea what the left hand is doing resulting in no continuity of care, and difficult to get to.

On the other hand, right here in Chante is a new very attractive and clean hospital with friendly and enthusiastically helpful staff just 20 minutes away with an emergency department and many other services. We went yesterday, for the second time, to check it out and this time I was able to ask a knowledgeable person all the medical questions I wanted to - and had them well-answered.

You don't have to extol the virtues of Puerta Hierro, Del Carmen, etc to me as I am well aware but am too old to buy private insurance that would cover me in those hospitals.

Of course I have all my own docs and pay out of pocket for all my medical care up to now but who knows what the future will bring. I would only use SP/IMSS for surgery or catastrophic/grave emergency care. What thinketh you?

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

SP versus IMSS Empty Re: SP versus IMSS

Post by kiko Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:28 am

Thanks for the report.  How is that hospital funded if not either SP or IMSS?
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:57 am

It's SP! And impressive. It is NOT a level one hospital but it's just behind that and apparently has a good amount of sophisticated ER equipment. There is also an 'admit' part of the hospital where pts that need to be admitted for a day or two go. Is there a cath lab to place stents in coronary arteries? No. But you would be stabalized and shipped via their waiting ambulance up to Civil where that would take place.

Disclaimer: I have not been 'backstage' yet to observe for myself the level of sophistication of the ER or evaluated the performances of the docs and nurses but my friends that have report very favorable impressions. Had a patient come to us for pre-op EKG etc for foot surgery that was to be done at there! They were thrilled with their care so far and loved their ortho who was going to do the surgery.

Have a friend who got her thumb accidentally partially amputated about a month ago and received all her care there as well as follow up. She raved about it. A couple of days ago THAT SAME PARTIAL THUMB got degloved by one of her dogs when she was trying to break up a fight and she returned to the hospital for that. Same results. The doc's parting comment to her was "So, what are you going to do to that thumb next month!" lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am

is this the new hospital just outside joco ?
if it is i remember reading on a web board that you cant arrive by cruz roja ambulance if you have a heart attack or something serious is this correct ??

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:58 am

That is correct. If you use the CR ambulance or the Joco muni ambulance you will end up at their clinics first. You may or may not be treated or diagnosed appropriately in those clinics. The hospital is not a receiving facility for either of those ambulances. Their ambulance only does transfers. I asked the woman if I wanted to come directly to their hospital I should have a taxi or friend drive me there and she said yes.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 am

thanks. important to know that me thinks.

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:59 pm

Coverage for more than catastrophic care is available by WEA insurance through Blue Angel agency. Yearly cost for $2500 deductible is around $1300US. Puerta de Hierro is not on their list of hospitals but del Carmen is.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Trailrunner, your descriptions of each make the decision to switch a no-brainer.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:52 pm

Gamina wrote:Coverage for more than catastrophic care is available by WEA insurance through Blue Angel agency.  Yearly cost for $2500 deductible is around $1300US.  Puerta de Hierro is not on their list of hospitals but del Carmen is.

What is their age cutoff? That's usually the problem for many expats in obtaining private insurance.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Jeeez, you're right, David.

One of the pros of IMSS though, is if you get in a crash and CR picks you up and the medics and clinic sfaff do a good job but you need emergent surgery at IMSS in Guad - you will get a bed and an ambulance authorization to take you there. In the same scenario, but with SP, you won't get an ambulance authorization.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Age cutoff for a new WEA insurance policy is 75 but if you have WEA when you turn 75 you will not be cancelled. Rates are based on the group, not on individual rates.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down