INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Menaje de casa

3 posters

Go down

Menaje de casa  Empty Menaje de casa

Post by Peter Muritake Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:58 am

Hey there, I didn't know where else to post this. I'm planning on moving all my stuff myself, towing a small trailer. Books, video games, video game consoles,kitchen stuff, musical instruments, a couple of toys, clothes, etc no big items like fridge. Total used worth probably 5000 dollars? I have a few questions:

-Besides the Menaje, do I get the duty free items regular passengers have? I was thinking of having my Menaje in the trailer and my laptop, my most expensive musical instrument and personal luggage in the car. Is this ok or does everything have to go in the Menaje?

- Is getting a Menaje worth it? The fee for the paperwork is 100 dlls and the aduana broker 500 dlls. Would it be cheaper to pay the taxes? And if so, how do I go about it?

- Could you let me know if there are any recent Menaje experiences posted (especially the Laredo bridge)?

Thanks

Peter Muritake

Back to top Go down

Menaje de casa  Empty Re: Menaje de casa

Post by Trailrunner Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:20 am

My 2 cents worth: Put your laptop and expensive musical instrument in the car and make them so they can't be seen easily. The trailer may become a bit of a burden after you get here as it can only be parked or taken out of the country the same way it came in - attached to your (probably foreign plated car which will also become a burden). Also, I don't know why you need a broker??? I did the menaje 12 years ago all by myself, all loaded in one car, no broker, and no one at the border was the least bit interested in looking through my spread sheet or into my boxes. Nor did they care about the dog's papers. Things have changed a bit but. . .

Another good place to ask questions is FB - Mexpats Lake Chapala page. Welcome, and have fun packing!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 am

If you ask, or if they look, you might find that only one instrument and two pets are allowed per person. However, they are pretty loose on enforcement if you have a full car. The trailer may attract a slightly more intensive inspection.
Yes; whenever your car leaves Mexico, the trailer must be attached. If you have a tourist permit, both must leave within 180 days. If you have Residente Temporal visa, you must formally notify Aduana at renewal and may keep them in Mexico for up to 4 years, maximum. If you are Residente Permanente, they are not permitted at all.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down