INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOSHA'S: NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT

+4
Carry Bean
slainte39
Canada_Mike
gringal
8 posters

Go down

GOSHA'S:  NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT Empty GOSHA'S: NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT

Post by gringal Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm

First time at Gosha's today:  had great lunches and want to pass the word to all:

Just a little east of Bruno's, with a big sign on the wall saying Jardin and a small one saying "Gosha's".  Parking solution (since there is hardly any on the Carreterra).  Go to the East corner (Galeana) and park on that street.  Usually plenty of parking.  It's a two way street, too.

In the garden:  tables with large umbrellas.  Equipale chairs.  We took a look at the sky and decided that "inside" might be a good idea; plus, it's quieter away from the street noise.  Inside:  a number of tables in a light and pleasant room with windows on the garden.  Again, comfy equipale chairs.

FOOD:  Home cooking with real food:  turkey slices from roasted turkey;  same with the other roasted meats in the sandwiches.  I had the turkey; spouse had roast pork.
"half sandwiches" on baguettes:  large enough to pass as full sandwich. Choice of cheese, meats and filled with additions such as avocado and tiny red onion slices.  Side of your choice of potato salads.  Full sandwiches:  a very hearty meal for the hungry.
Soups:  home made.  I had a cup of cream of  zucchini.  Very flavorful and a BIG "cup".  
There's a pictorial book containing photos of their various dishes as well as a regular menu and a "specials" board outside.

SERVICE:  the waiter was playing hooky, so we had a chance to chat a little with the co-owner, who was attentive.  She's promised some hearty Polish specialties during the winter. Polish breakfast crepes are already on the menu.  Lots of variety, but the humble burger is there, too.

PRICES:  Very, very reasonable.  

HOURS AND SUCH:  Breakfast and lunches only, served every day from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm

OPINION:  This place was a surprise;  way above and beyond the usual lunch fare available.  We'll be back.........often.  It's a new favorite.  GO !

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

GOSHA'S:  NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT Empty Re: GOSHA'S: NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT

Post by Canada_Mike Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:32 pm

I've eaten there several times for lunch. Good food, good prices, and nice people. Glad you mentioned it.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

GOSHA'S:  NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT Empty Re: GOSHA'S: NEW AND VERY GOOD RESTAURANT

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:51 am

My only complaint is the standard hamburger which is priced at 95 pesos as compared to my 3 favorite hamburger restaurants, Paninos, Gossips, and Bruno's where the prices are all in 70+ peso range. The meat patty is smaller at Gosha, less fries on  the side and  on a hard roll that doesn't work for someone with dentures.
They have a nice looking menu with other options I would like to try but the hamburger I had there was the last one there for me.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:54 am

I agree that it's pricey compared to a few other good ones.  I returned and tried the burger without being more thrilled than at other good places such as you mentioned, especially Gossips.  I'd be pleased and go more often if Gossips opened at a more accessible location.

The other sandwiches, not made with "lunch meat" but from real roasted beasts are the main reason I'd go to Gosha's.  Both the roast pork and the turkey sandwiches are very good.  Others have told me the chicken mole one is delicious.

I hadn't considered the difficulties with dentures since my teeth will last longer than I will and I like those chewy baguettes, but it wouldn't hurt to mention to the owner that it would be good if diners had a choice of sandwich breads, and why.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am

Gossips is almost as centrally located in Ajijic as possible, how could it be more accessible? Usually there is parking within a half block in any direction.
And if you are referring to parking, have you ever tried to find parking for Tango or Cocinart.
Maybe you are talking about accessible from your home location. Gosha is even less accessible if Gossips is the marker.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:36 am

slainte39 wrote:Gossips is almost as centrally located in Ajijic as possible, how could it be more accessible? Usually there is parking within a half block in any direction.
And if you are referring to parking, have you ever tried to find parking for Tango or Cocinart.
Maybe you are talking about accessible from your home location. Gosha is even less accessible if Gossips is the marker.

Cocinart is less than a block from my house. I have given up on Tango for various reasons, so only go when friends want to but it's still walking distance.
Gossips is well located for those who live nearer than I do, but it's the space that the restaurant occupies which makes it less appealing to me. Outside is too noisy and fume-y and inside feels too crowded. Personal preference. Rumor has it on TOB that Gossips may be opening a second location with some menu changes in the newly remodeled Hole in One spaces. I'd rather drive further out of Ajijic than hunt for parking.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Which makes Arileo attractive?...to me.
We just had a different definition of accessible. Yours is broader.
I avoid Tango strictly because of the parking as the rest of the operation suits me fine.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:36 pm

slainte39 wrote:Which makes Arileo attractive?...to me.
We just had a different definition of accessible. Yours is broader.
I avoid Tango strictly because of the parking as the rest of the operation suits me fine.

I like everthing about going to Arileo except those Evil or Very Mad TOPES! Just found out that the very good waiter, Louis, has moved over to Gossips.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:26 pm

I ate at Gosha's today. I had the turkey sandwich & really like the bread they use. However, they have no desserts but they said they're working on it & will have a little coffee area with capucchinos, etc. and sweets. Friend had the mole & really, really liked it. I'd go back but you fall off the earth to park nearby the way they pave the road but not the side portion. I rode with someone else but I bet my car would scrape.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I ate at Gosha's today.  I had the turkey sandwich & really like the bread they use.  However, they have no desserts but they said they're working on it & will have a little coffee area with capucchinos, etc. and sweets.  Friend had the mole & really, really liked it.  I'd go back but you fall off the earth to park nearby the way they pave the road but not the side portion.  I rode with someone else but I bet my car would scrape.

Parking in the pit out front not necessary. Go the corner and turn right on Galeana. Lots of parking there. We avoid the "pit parking" since our small car isn't up to it either.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Carry, what kind of bread do they use and what else besides turkey do they put on the sandwich?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 pm

It's a soft white bread like a baguette shape with sesame seeds on it & it was really fresh.  They put lettuce, tomato, bacon and mayo or cranberry chutney on the turkey sandwich.  It was messy but good. They also have a book with pictures of the food they offer.

Last edited by Carry Bean on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:22 pm

gringal wrote:
Carry Bean wrote:I ate at Gosha's today.  I had the turkey sandwich & really like the bread they use.  However, they have no desserts but they said they're working on it & will have a little coffee area with capucchinos, etc. and sweets.  Friend had the mole & really, really liked it.  I'd go back but you fall off the earth to park nearby the way they pave the road but not the side portion.  I rode with someone else but I bet my car would scrape.

Parking in the pit out front not necessary.  Go the corner and turn right on Galeana.  Lots of parking there.  We avoid the "pit parking" since our small car isn't up to it either.

I'll do that. I have a Fit & as you know, it's rather low-slung. Thanks.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks, Carry. That sounds really good! I am going to have to try this place.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by ldrews Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:31 am

I would like to second the vote of approval. My wife and I have had several meals there, all good. I particularly like the turkey sandwich, and the polish crepes for breakfast are to die for.

ldrews
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Puns, shaggy dog stories

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Returned today for lunch. Excellent large 1/2 roasted pork and chicken breast sandwich with tortilla soup and salad for 75 pesos. (Don't order the full sandwich unless you are a very hungry eater.) Nothing like a super soup on an overcast day. The owner said Wednesdays are the slowest due to the tiangus, so it's a good time to try it. Double yum rating.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by WDBarr Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 pm

gringal wrote:
slainte39 wrote:Gossips is almost as centrally located in Ajijic as possible, how could it be more accessible? Usually there is parking within a half block in any direction.

Cocinart is less than a block from my house.  I have given up on Tango for various reasons, so only go when friends want to but it's still walking distance.
Gossips is well located for those who live nearer than I do, but it's the space that the restaurant occupies which makes it less appealing to me.  Outside is too noisy and fume-y and inside feels too crowded.  Personal preference.   Rumor has it on TOB that Gossips may be opening a second location with some menu changes in the newly remodeled Hole in One spaces.  I'd rather drive further out of Ajijic than hunt for parking.  

About Tango. I really like their food and it is a nice atmosphere. However, the waiters are so pushy. They hover around your table waiting for you to put down your fork so they can grab it. If you have a little wine left in the bottom of your glass they will try to grab it off the table. My partner finally decided the best way to fend off their aggressive behavior is to stab at them with a fork when they reach for something on the table. This usually works, but it is stressful to always be on guard, defending your food from the waiters and figuring out which direction the next attack may come from. I would go there more often if the waiters would leave us alone while we eat. If you bring us the bill before we ask for it, I am less likely to return.

WDBarr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:06 pm

How did Tango weasel into this Gosha thread?

Tango probably wants you to eat, pay and run. Thus, the aggessive waiters.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:37 pm

I have eaten there twice this week. Greek salad first time and today half turkey sandwich with potato salad for 55 pesos, about $3.00 U.S.. Both owners came out several times to check on us. there was good parking in front of the restaurant. It is a keeper. We will be back.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down