INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico

+8
MexicoPete
cajunman
Hensley
Zedinmexico
gringal
Trailrunner
SunshineyDay
CanuckBob
12 posters

Go down

Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico Empty Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm shocked.......... Shocked

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/wal-mart-to-face-class-action-over-alleged-bribery-in-mexico/ar-BBwv2sb?li=AAgh0dA&ocid=iehp
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico Empty Re: Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico

Post by SunshineyDay Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:02 pm

jaja sure you are!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico Empty Re: Wal-Mart to face class-action over alleged bribery in Mexico

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:06 pm

heh
Mexico is teflon, nothing ever sticks.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
I'm shocked.......... Shocked

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/wal-mart-to-face-class-action-over-alleged-bribery-in-mexico/ar-BBwv2sb?li=AAgh0dA&ocid=iehp

...still waiting for those 125 trees? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:30 am

No I am still waiting for my change! Ahhh local problem.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 am

Had a friend working in the produce department lifting 40lb crates and working 8 hours a day for a total pay per day of $105p, unbelievable!!
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:46 am

Well if the labor rates were $1050 per day most of us wouldn't be living here as it would be too expensive.....
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 am

CB--Wally World would still make a profit

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:44 am

The point is that the cheap labor rates are what help to make the cost of living here so cheap. If the labor rates were 10 times higher than what they are then you would also have way higher prices for everything else.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cajunman Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:05 pm

CanuckBob - Shocked? Just a "Pay for Play scheme like the USA Gov't..

cajunman

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Tongue was firmly in cheek.......jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Wally World has always been known for low pay. But $105 for 8 hours is only $13.1 pesos per hour. That seems unbelievable. I hope that was a long time ago or that you made a mistake.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 am

Nope it was only a month ago that he quit.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:52 pm

what is the minimum wage in Jalisco?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:55 pm

I believe the minimum wage for a general worker is $73.04 MXN per day.

http://www.wageindicator.org/main/salary/minimum-wage/mexico
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Somewhere between slave wages and "10 times higher" is a decent rate of pay by a major corporation.  There are damn few (if any) expats that would be starved out if things cost a bit more.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by RicoSuave Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:52 pm

I rarely shop at the place, but it seems to me that their prices are not much cheaper than those NOB. IVA may be the reason, but I doubt it, as NOB (like in Texas) has a sales tax above 8% except on food and drugs.

RicoSuave
RicoSuave

Humor : Cerebral

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:07 am

With the low labor rates, taxes and overheads Wal-Mart is making a fortune here. I'm betting their profit margin is way higher than NOB.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Somewhere between slave wages and "10 times higher" is a decent rate of pay by a major corporation.  There are damn few (if any) expats that would be starved out if things cost a bit more.

Companies like Wal-Mart usually scale their wages based on comparisons to similar companies. I'm thinking that most of the other retailers in Jalisco are paying similar wages. I would imagine the employees get higher pay based on length of service and job responsibilities too. In Canada, Costco is one of the few national retailers (actually wholesaler) still paying a pretty good wage. I would be interested to see what Costco is paying in Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:11 am

And back to the Class Action; if the plaintiff prevails, and 99% of these settle, the investors may get some benefit, the attorneys make millions, and then it's business as usual.

As for W.M being Teflon, maybe in Mx (sort of like the GIL who I hear never paid $1.00), however this C.A. is in the U.S. and there are real procedures that are really followed, real judges and real courts.

As to the low wages, I was told the same thing by a ldy stocker in Home Depot about 10-years ago. I was floored.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:38 am

CanuckBob wrote:
Lady Otter Latté wrote:Somewhere between slave wages and "10 times higher" is a decent rate of pay by a major corporation.  There are damn few (if any) expats that would be starved out if things cost a bit more.

Companies like Wal-Mart usually scale their wages based on comparisons to similar companies. I'm thinking that most of the other retailers in Jalisco are paying similar wages. I would imagine the employees get higher pay based on length of service and job responsibilities too. In Canada, Costco is one of the few national retailers (actually wholesaler) still paying a pretty good wage. I would be interested to see what Costco is paying in Mexico.

FYI Costco average wage in USA is $22 per hour. About half and half full time and part time. Prices with a few exceptions are marked up 15% in USA.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:45 am

Clueless wrote:As for W.M being Teflon, maybe in Mx (sort of like the GIL who I hear never paid $1.00), however this C.A. is in the U.S. and there are real procedures that are really followed, real judges and real courts.

I did not say WalMart was teflon. Please read with comprehension. I said Mexico was teflon.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down