INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call?

+3
RVGRINGO
CanuckBob
sm1mex
7 posters

Go down

Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call? Empty Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call?

Post by sm1mex Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:12 am

While it was cold recently we lit our gas log pilot light and then lit the flame. After about 10-15 minutes, the flame went out. Lit the pilot light again, same thing happened, flame went out. Lit the pilot light for the third time an did not light the flame, and 10-15 minutes the pilot light went out. We have 80% gas in our tank. Who should be call to possibly blow out the gas line. Perhaps it is partially clogged with something. We have never had this problem in the past.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call? Empty Re: Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call?

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:33 am

It sounds like maybe the thermal coupler is shot. You need a plumber/gas guy to look at it.

I use Jose Martinez for plumbing and plumbers usually do gas as well. You could call and ask.

376-765-3297
333-174-1282
331-152-1369

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call? Empty Re: Having trouble keeping our gas logs lit-who to call?

Post by sm1mex Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 am

Does Jose speak some English? I know a lot of Spanish, but not fluent.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 am

When it turns cold, it is not uncommon for the unused gas line contacts to contract. As such, the firs opening of a valve causes the line to suck in air. The result is a mix of air and gas in the line, which is not always combustible. So, you can light a pilot and then a bolus of air will cause it to go out. That can happen over and over again. It is frustrating, but you will eventually get the air out of the line and a steady supply of propane will keep the pilot light working. It could take constant attempts over as much as half an hour. Be patient and persistent. You will get there.
There is a quicker solution, but I am afraid that someone might blow themselves up.....so I will not suggest it here.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks. I am going to try to lite the pilot light several more times and see if I can get the air out of the line. I think that may be it as it runs great and the flame is great and full, but then kaput. It just goes out. It hasn't been used since last winter. Perhaps I should lite it every so often during the year.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:13 am

I am quite certain that the problem is air in the line; a seasonal, temperature related problem.
I always solved it by opening all the doors to the outside, then loosening the connection at the heater to release air and gas for a few seconds and tightening it again. Then, wait until there is no trace of gas odor. Then, wait some more. That allowed fresh gas to fill the entire line and the pilot to work normally. After all: The pilot uses so little, that it takes forever to clear the line via the pilot alone.
DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, OR HAVE IT DONE BY A PROFESSIONAL.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 pm

sm1mex wrote:Does Jose speak some English?  I know a lot of Spanish, but not fluent.

Yes, he speaks English.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:50 pm

OK. If I can't get it worked out by lighting the fire several times, I'll have someone come bleed the line. Gas is nothing to mess with by not even an amateur.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by newinajijic Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:30 pm

We Had the same problem, changed the regulator at the tank. solved the problem.

newinajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 pm

We use a guy who installed and services our gas logs: Carlos Ramirez Z, who was recommended by the people from whom we bought the gas logs. Speaks English. 765-5597 or 0(45) 333- 903-5891.

I've known Jose Martinez for almost 10 years--good guy, getting quite expensive IMO. I don't know whether he knows anything about gas logs but he is a "get it right the first time" kind of electrician/plumber. Never uses a paper clip to fix the handle on the toilet;)

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Wouldn't you think if there was a problem with the regulator at the gas tank we would have problems with the gas dryer, water heater and stove burners. They are fine and full of flame. Never go out.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by newinajijic Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 pm

Thought I had the problem fixed not so. Pilot will not stay lit turning to flame position. he odd time I can the flame will go out after an our or so. Talked to Sure heat's help line they tell me I must have pressure of 11 to 14. I require a tech that can do this measurement any suggestions. does Carlos or Jose work for Strom White.

newinajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Carlos does their installations.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Carlos also fixes other people's installations as well.

Critters (spiders/ants/etc.) love to crawl up the pipes and enjoy the euphoria of mercaptin (sp?)(that stinky stuff they put in propane). That was the problem that we encountered with a Bosch on demand water heater on the coast. Had to have a pile of little charred bodies cleaned out every six months or the pilot light simply would not stay light when we wanted hot water. I have no reason to think that this wouldn't be the case with a gas log set in the off season. Just another possibility for you.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down