INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City Sandwich

+9
heidinrick
Canada_Mike
Lady Otter Latté
gobluejohn
kb9gzg
Rosa Venus
slainte39
Trailrunner
Bubba2shoes
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City Sandwich Empty City Sandwich

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:39 pm

This is a relatively new restaurant with their food truck/kitchen parked in front of the restaurant´s building located adjacent to La Casa del Waffle in West Ajijic. Excellent sándwiches and other ítems wih a pulled pork sándwich featuring a South Carolina-style vinegar based BBQ sauce and cole slaw on the sándwich just as one would expect of a fine BBQ house down south in the Carolinas in the U.S. The pulled pork sándwich is the best this Alabama boy and BBQ pork fiend has found at Lakeside by far. I highly recommend this sandwich perhaps accompanied by their very good baked beans as a side. I also love their green beans fried with bacon and onions which is also an excellent and unique rendition of green beans. They also serve Philadelphia Cheese Steak, Buffalo,N.Y style chicken and San Francisco-style portobello mushroom sandwiches and Mississippi-style catfish, the latter with their outstanding Mississippi Gulf Coast inspired tartar sauce - the best tartar sauce Bubba has tasted in Mexico. In addition, one may order their special Brand of "smashed" potatoes or cole slaw as separate dishes or accompaniments to one´s sándwich or other main dish order. The native Mississippi chef also serves homemade lemonade or iced tea along with other drinks.

These folks operated in Guadalajara before moving to Ajijic which move was our good fortune. If you like pulled pork sándwiches don´t miss their versión of this great southern U.S. treat. This is the only place I know of in Mexico that serves the unique style of South Carolina vinegar based BBQ sauce which is my favorite stye of BBQ sauce but they have the sweeter style sauce as you wish.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

City Sandwich Empty Re: City Sandwich

Post by Trailrunner Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Remember Smitty's BBQ? His sauce is South Carolina style, I think he's semi-retired but his wife is still cooking BBQ.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:This is a relatively new restaurant with their food truck/kitchen parked in front of the restaurant´s building located adjacent to La Casa del Waffle in West Ajijic. Excellent sándwiches and other ítems wih a pulled pork sándwich featuring a South Carolina-style vinegar based BBQ sauce and cole slaw on the sándwich just as one would expect of a fine BBQ house down south in the Carolinas  in the U.S.  The pulled pork sándwich is the best this Alabama boy and BBQ pork  fiend has found at Lakeside by far.  I highly recommend this sandwich perhaps accompanied by their very good  baked beans as a side.  I also love their green beans fried with bacon and onions which is also an excellent and unique rendition of green beans.  They also serve Philadelphia Cheese Steak, Buffalo,N.Y style chicken and San Francisco-style portobello mushroom sandwiches and Mississippi-style catfish, the latter with their outstanding Mississippi Gulf Coast inspired tartar sauce - the best tartar sauce Bubba has tasted in Mexico.  In addition, one may order their special Brand of "smashed" potatoes or cole slaw as separate dishes or accompaniments to one´s sándwich or other main dish order. The native Mississippi chef also serves homemade lemonade or iced tea along with other drinks.

These folks operated in Guadalajara before moving to Ajijic which move was our good fortune.  If you like pulled pork sándwiches don´t miss their versión of this great southern U.S. treat.  This is the only place I know of in Mexico that serves the unique style  of South Carolina vinegar based BBQ sauce which is my favorite stye of BBQ sauce but they have the sweeter style sauce as you wish.    

Don't usually comment on restaurant reviews, but everything Bubba says is true and more.  The food is really outstanding and as good as you are going find of that type anywhere, anywhere. He uses sirloin from Sonora on his Philly cheesesteak sandwiches and not arrechera, which is a big plus to me.
He (Bubba) didn't mention their pecan pie which is 150% better than any other I have tasted around here.
I'm surprised that Bubba didn't mention the fact that the owner (male contingent) speaks a dialect native to Mississippi which is very close to what they speak in Alabama, which probably makes it easy for them to communicate and feel a kindred spirit. The wife is a Tapatia.
He (Justin, the owner) is even tolerant of someone like me who spent his formative years up in Yankeeland in the US and supported Hillary. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:00 am

THEY HAVE GOOD PECAN PIE?!!??!!!

cheers

I've eaten my way through their entire menu and didn't know that. The only sandwich I haven't tried is the portebello veggie thing called the "San Francisco". That just seems ridiculous when you're talking to a young man from Mississippi (when I'm from California). All the sandwiches I've had have been well-prepared, so just depends on your personal tastes and preferences. My favorite is the pork, but am going to re-try a couple of others with my personal adjustments.

Good people, seriously good food. Nonetheless, I'm going to complain (bitch, really) to Justin about not mentioning the availability of that Pecan Pie! I had no idea...and I've probably been there ten times. Shocked
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:53 am

Bubba did not know about the pecan pie eiher but if it´s available, I will be taking a slice home with me on my next visit. For a Southern boy, pecan pie is an exquisite  concoction if done well and judging by the food I have savored there so far, I anticípate a fine treat.

While my intent here was to call attention to the delicious  pulled pork sándwiches with Carolina BBQ sauce, I must comment again on this restaurant´s unique and, in my opinión, outstanding  rendition of green beans fried up with bacon, onions and the chef´s "secret sauce". The chef told me he would share the récipe for the sauce with me but then he would have to kill me to guard the secret so I declined to pursue that idea.  What the hell, I can always enjoy this dish any day since I live in nearby Six Corners.  Southerners normally ruin green beans by boiling them to mush  but my French wife taught me how to make this dish I dreaded as a kid in South Alabama where they were known  as string beans in the 1950s before growers bred.out the detestable strings  She and I parboil the beans to al dente and then saute them in butter wih lots of garlic and, maybe, some slivered almonds - delightful.  I have never encountered green beans prepared the way City Sándwich prepares them but  I will definitely be back for more repeatedly.  

I am so fond of that pulled pork sándwich that I have yet to try some other ítems on their limited menú but on my next visit I must try the Buffalo Chicken Sándwich with a hot sace imported from New York emulating the Buffalo Sauce served at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo which made Buffalo Wings famous in the 60s.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:39 am

Pecan pie......
You must first join the secret society and withstand the horrible initiation ritual.
Qualifications....First test is driving through a white, red neck southern town with a Hillary bumper sticker and living to tell about it. Beer

Human votes don't count in the US (i.e., determining winners), so I guess land and cattle does.

BTW...I agree with Bubba....it's hard to get passed the pulled pork.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:53 pm

I liked their Philly better than any I've had in Philly.
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gobluejohn Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:31 pm

WOW, I lived in Philly for 5 years and some were out of this world, and you are saying better???
gobluejohn
gobluejohn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Don't get too excited, GoBlueJohn. That is just a personal opinion about the Philly sandwich. I would say not even close to as good as the Real Thing. But, perhaps I happened in on an off-day Philly wise.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:33 pm

Anyone know their hours. Planning on a kick back day of football tomorrow, and their sammies sound perfect.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

"better than any I've had in Philly" is the key phrase.
Phila., is a large metropolitan area with hundreds/thousands of cheese steak sandwich purveyors.  I think he just means he really likes it......so do I.
In the limited world of competition here, it is top dog, IMO.
Give it one more try Lady.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:43 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Anyone know their hours. Planning on a kick back day of football tomorrow, and their sammies sound perfect.

I think noon to 8PM, maybe 11 or 11:30.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by heidinrick Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:11 am

Heidi and I completely agree that their sandwiches are great. No body mentioned their outstanding baked beans...yum! Great kids and really great food.
heidinrick
heidinrick

Humor : Very, very sick

Back to top Go down

Post by Wide Sky Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:31 am

Here is their FB page https://www.facebook.com/citysandwichmx/
I thought they were closed on Sunday. FB page as at 8:30 am on Sunday says 'Open tomorrow'

Wide Sky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kb9gzg Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:47 am

gobluejohn wrote:WOW, I lived in Philly for 5 years and some were out of this world, and you are saying better???

What I said. Beer
kb9gzg
kb9gzg
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes, they are closed Sunday.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:41 am

Trailrunner wrote:Remember Smitty's BBQ? His sauce is South Carolina style, I think he's semi-retired but his wife is still cooking BBQ.

I´ve been patronizing Smitty´s BBQ for many years soon after moving to Ajijic in 2001.  His and his wife´s BBQ joint used to be the only real game in town when it came to BBQ.  Sincé moving part time to Chiapas I haven´t had an opportunity to go to his and her place which I believe is in Riberas Del Pilar.  I am pleased to  know he is still in business with  his wife doing not only the cooking but running the business in most aspects although I think that has been the case for some time Smitty´s semi-retirement or not.  I must go by there and say hello taking home some BBQ of course. At present, I can´t vouch for the food these days but I used to love their BBQ.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:44 am

I think Smitty left town quite a while ago. Didn't that Thor guy take over that location a few years back only to shut it down shortly after. I believe it is now a breakfast place if I'm thinking of the same location.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:09 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think Smitty left town quite a while ago. Didn't that Thor guy take over that location a few years back only to shut it down shortly after. I believe it is now a breakfast place if I'm thinking of the same location.

Oh, well.  I am not surprised to hear that but, thankfully, City Sammich has opened up in my Six Corners neighborhood for BBQ sammiches and I understand there are some new to fairly new BBQ rib places around Lakeside I must try since City does not sell BBQ ribs. By the way, I have now had an opportunity to try their "smashed" Potatoes which I found to be a delightful variation of mashed potatoes rich in butter with pieces of potato skin in the mix.  I highly recommend the potatoes.  The Buffalo Sandwich turned out to be not particularly to my taste but many will also find that concoction pleasing to dine upon as well.  Next I must try the Mississippi Catfish Sándwich with their house made tartar sauce. So far I have had really good food here.  I told the proprietor, a Mississippian, that in Bubba's native Alabama only po' folks ate catfish but they ate it in abundance and he responded that that was because the best catfish  and cornpone come from Mississippi and Alabama was only good for ´shine from the Appalachian región in the Northeast.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Last I saw Smitty was about 5 or 6 mos ago, his wife was still cooking then. I see them regularly.

Not sure the sign is still up but turn up at the Orma Auto Parts, it's in that block. Walk around into the back patio. She's really nice and I'm sure she can use the business.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think Smitty left town quite a while ago. Didn't that Thor guy take over that location a few years back only to shut it down shortly after. I believe it is now a breakfast place if I'm thinking of the same location.

Ed owned Bubba's Restaurant at that location next to Puritan Poultry. Smithy is on San Jorge up from Mom's.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Oh OK. Is he still open?

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:22 pm

You are definitely talking about two completely different places.
Ed (Bubba), who had the place next to Puritan Poultry, then Thor, then some one else whom I can't remember, and now Josey's is an all day restaurant.
Smitty is up the street, north of Orma Auto Parts and has the BBQ.
Repeating lunateak, but she is correct.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:31 pm

Repeating Trailrunner too! Sheesh. lolol write your own post next time. JUST KIDDING. lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:47 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Repeating Trailrunner too! Sheesh. lolol write your own post next time. JUST KIDDING. lol

Just being complementary.  What you say is worth repeating, plus I haven't any original thoughts of my own.
Just sue me for plagiarism....you might win HUGE!!!  lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next