INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Old style VW bug

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old style VW bug

Post by RichD on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 pm

I would like to find an old style VW for purchase before June, 2017. I could not take possession before February as I am told I need more than a tourist visa to register it. Contact me via PM or email rfd@richdavis.net  All paperwork must pass muster at Spencer's office.
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Re: Old style VW bug

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:16 am

Be prepared to spend $$$ for a good one. They are quite popular and really hold their value. I have a 1987 which I customized. Get the newest model you can (they made them up to 2002) as the newer ones have fuel injection, electronic ignition and cleaner exhaust. I paid $1500 USD for mine. It had a trashed body and interior but the running gear and suspension was good which is what I needed for my project.

BEFORE

AFTER

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:00 am

Bob, I've seen you in traffic. You may have seen my white van with the middle finger salute on it. The van has been photographed from the border on down by Aduana, Transitos, and citizens alike, but it makes a political statement and I will leave it at that.

My desire for a bug is a bit nostalgia, but mostly a vehicle I can do no more harm to than already exists. I tend to desire the older kind with carbs and the need to adjust the valves often. As long as it can pass the smog test requirements, the rest can be fixed.
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:08 am

It won't pass the smog test. I don't even think the newer ones with FI and cats will pass. They have outlawed the use of them as taxi's in Mexico city because of this. I haven't been hassled for not having a smog sticker yet. Maybe they grandfathered them...jaja.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:57 am

Hey Bob...you still don't have the flames and horns on your little Diablita?

We drove our VW bug through many places in Mexico. Loved it but, after driving it around for nine years, we had to sell it when we moved to the coast. We needed air conditioning and it was going to cost 25,000 pesos to put it in. Since that was all it was worth in 2004, we sold it for that price and bought the Chevy C2 Hatchback. Shortly after that, a truck crossed the median in wildfire smoke and hit us head on. Seeing it was the Christmas Holidays, the rental, while it was being repaired, also ended up costing us $25,000 pesos. Wish we had just kept the VW as a back up. Great cars that anyone, anywhere in Mexico can fix. Hindsight is 20/20.
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I have held off on the flames as I'm not completely happy with the paintjob. I'll get it repainted then add the flames.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Beer

I can tell it's on a list and fighting hard to get to the top. It's only been three or four years and there's always manana. Trust me, I totally understand your priorities.
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:24 pm

ferret, from what you describe, you would not have survived that accident in a VW Bug.
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Now there's something I hadn't even thought of. I think, in any case, the driver of the truck was going no more than 20 km an hour because he was proceeding cautiously even if he did end up on the wrong side of the road...with no insurance. We were stopped completely but were more worried about being rear ended in the smoke than being hit head on. Unfortunately roads curve.
Yes, I think in hindsight that we were lucky or blessed or have really good angels. The car had to be hauled away on a flat bed and we didn't see it again for five weeks. A couple of scratches on the truck and he drove away.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:04 pm

Rich:
I am also looking for a Bug... You might look at mercadolibre or soloauto. There is a bunch of bugs from $25,000 pesos up...

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 pm

10/4 rvanparys, I will check it out, but I am now leaning to buy a new car, an ole fart Honda Fit. Please do not laugh at me. LOL
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rvanparys on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:31 pm

Rich:
I bought a Fit and found it ideal for Ajijic... Unfortunately, Our four legged daughter didn't fit in the Fit and we upsized to a CRV... Fit is a great buy... Suggest you see Spencer at S&S Auto... He makes the process painless... I was even able to buy both cars on my credit card which gave me a better exchange rate and megga air miles...

rvanparys
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks, but I have already been and met Spencer and Karen. They showed me a Fit. We discussed settlement and using a credit card costs 3% and I will do a wire transfer instead when I am ready. I have to get my permanente approved before I can even think of buying a car born in Mexico.

You child must be huge to not fit in a Fit.
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top