INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

The American Legion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The American Legion

Post by RichD on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:07 pm

I have eaten there several times and I looked forward to today, Friday, for the fish lunch special. The fish was offered three ways, breaded, butter and garlic, or Veracruz style. I choose the later. When it arrived I found it smothered in a brown gravy that tasted exactly like the gravy the Poutine Place puts on their fries. My guess is that both use canned or a powder mix. Along with the gravy was sautéed bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, and green olives plus a side of tarter sauce (WTF?). It tasted dreadful. So if you like poutine, you might like it, but don't order it thinking it will be ala veracruzana.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:28 pm

Gravy does not belong on fish.......yuck!!

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 12084
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 53
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Actually, it does not belong on french fries either.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Maybe the chef at the legion whipped you up something special. I hear he reads this forum.......

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 12084
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 53
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Chef? All I see are women cooks, but they can really cook. I hope the "Chef" reads this and goes and tries Pescado Ala Veracruzana at somewhere that does it right to see what it actually is.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by suegarn on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:31 pm

RichD wrote:Chef? All I see are women cooks, but they can really cook. I hope the "Chef" reads this and goes and tries Pescado Ala Veracruzana at somewhere that does it right to see what it actually is.

The term 'Chef' can be used for male or female cooks.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 450
Join date : 2013-11-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:06 pm

I don't care if they are a cook or a chef, they sure don't know what veracruzana means. Surely by no stretch of the gastronomical definition would it include brown beef flavored gravy and tartar sauce.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by brigitte on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Sound like you got fusion cuisine, the gravy for the Canadians and the tartar sauce for the Americans and the name because after all we are in Mexico.. Very Happy

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Lesson learned. Next time mojo de ajo o empanizado. The place really does offer some tasty bites. I just wanted to inform others to avoid the fusion fish.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by hockables on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 pm

No Canadian puts Gravy on Fish... lol

No Chef... a couple of very capable women in the kitchen Beer

avatar
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3693
Join date : 2010-04-06

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by Bubba2shoes on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:21 pm

RichD wrote:I have eaten there several times and I looked forward to today, Friday, for the fish lunch special. The fish was offered three ways, breaded, butter and garlic, or Veracruz style. I choose the later. When it arrived I found it smothered in a brown gravy that tasted exactly like the gravy the Poutine Place puts on their fries. My guess is that both use canned or a powder mix. Along with the gravy was sautéed bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, and green olives plus a side of tarter sauce (WTF?). It tasted dreadful. So if you like poutine, you might like it, but don't order it thinking it will be ala veracruzana.

You know, Rich. I was beginning to respect you  but the fact that you bought and ate a hotdog on the shores of Lake Chapala indicates to me that you would be shot without mercy in Chicago.    That would be akin to ordering BBQ in Birmingham and requesting kétchup and mayo as sides.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2016-09-05
Age : 75
Location : San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:27 pm

Bubba, I do not eat hotdogs from a cart in Mexico and I can not imagine where you read that I did. The dogs are made from birds universally here and they really suck. That may be the reason they add so many condiments to mask the flavor of the chicken dogs.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by Bubba2shoes on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:47 pm

RichD wrote:Bubba, I do not eat hotdogs from a cart in Mexico and I can not imagine where you read that I did. The dogs are made from birds universally here and they really suck. That may be the reason they add so many condiments to mask the flavor of the chicken dogs.

I must taste this "poutine" crap.  It sounds like the reftried  grits my mama used to cook up on Thursday nights down in South Alabama when she ran out of okra.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 81
Join date : 2016-09-05
Age : 75
Location : San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by RichD on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:I must taste this "poutine" crap.  It sounds like the reftried  grits my mama used to cook up on Thursday nights down in South Alabama when she ran out of okra.

I would go with the grits. Actually they do not serve real poutine as that uses curds and here they use a mozzarella cheddar blend. Couple that with gravy obviously made from a mix and you have a different experience I am sure. Something that popular in Canada can not be all bad, just like real ole fashion grits are to the quick or instant types it is judged by. Grits folks take at least 30 minutes to cook and can be a real treat.
avatar
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 583
Join date : 2016-11-09
Age : 70
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: The American Legion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum