INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Property Tax Increase

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Property Tax Increase

Post by tombo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Went to pay property tax for our modest downtown Ajijic house today and the tax had doubled from last year. From reading recent Guadalajara Reporter article I was expecting slightly higher than 5% increase. From what I could understand from the courteous cashier, because we purchased the house in the past year it was subject to much greater evaluation. I did not pay the tax, which totaled more than that of friends who also recently bought a much more expensive house a few blocks away.

Questions: Has anyone else in a similar situation had a similar increase? Does it make any sense to challenge it through a notary or lawyer?

Thanks for your informed and on-topic responses.
tombo

Back to top Go down

Re: Property Tax Increase

Post by Canmex 87 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 pm

tombo wrote:Went to pay property tax for our modest downtown Ajijic house today and the tax had doubled from last year. From reading recent Guadalajara Reporter article I was expecting slightly higher than 5% increase. From what I could understand from the courteous cashier, because we purchased the house in the past year it was subject to much greater evaluation. I did not pay the tax, which totaled more than that of friends who also recently bought a much more expensive house a few blocks away.

Questions: Has anyone else in a similar situation had a similar increase? Does it make any sense to challenge it through a notary or lawyer?

Thanks for your informed and on-topic responses.

We had a similar situation last year.
There is an office behind where you pay the taxes (towards the rear of the building).
They explained why our taxes had increased. We explained our case and they gave us a full credit as it appeared that they had made a mistake.

Canmex 87
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tombo on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks, Canmex. We'll follow your advice.
tombo

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:23 pm

My property tax was less than last year.

Go figure.

Had the house about 7 years.

But I just got f**ked for $50,000 pesos because my ex gave me a podar to transfer her half but without her here to show she has a permente and sign something, "she" had to pay $50K in capital gains, meaning I have to pay it.

Live, learn and - - - - -
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa on Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Sucks to have paid $50,000 probably could have been avoided. I can annul most property tax and water bills easily through a lawsuit but the catch is if it is worth it for the both of us considering time, a full blown suit, etc.
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless on Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

This wasn't a property tax, it was capital gains.

And I had a very good lesson a few years ago about getting involved in the civil law courts in Mx. The only winners are the attorneys.

Better to settle it outside of the civil courts, IMO
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top