INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx?

+2
CanuckBob
Clueless
6 posters

Go down

What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx? Empty What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx?

Post by Clueless Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I saw a car on Mercado Libra in Guanajuato (and I was there about a month ago but didn't know about this) and I'm interested in it, but don't know how it would work to register it here.

Anyone know how that would work and what I would need?

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx? Empty Re: What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx?

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:18 pm

I was advised by Spencer to never buy an "out of state" vehicle. I can't remember why. Ask him.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx? Empty Re: What's involved in buying/registering a car from another state in Mx?

Post by Intercasa Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Too much fraud and you have to go to verification in Guadalajara to change plates and if something wasnt done right you get detained and car impounded.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Not worth it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Intercasa wrote:Too much fraud and you have to go to verification in Guadalajara to change plates and if something wasnt done right you get detained and car impounded.

Hmmmm, not just food, but a whole meal for thought.

Thanks.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:45 am

Yea best to listen to Spencer. He is usually right about such stuff. I can do the local DMV stuff not sure I would want to play the out of state game.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by WillieRae Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:54 am

When we moved here from Sinaloa, we went straight to Spencer for help in getting everything for the car transferred to Jalisco. And yes, it was a PITA but they got it done!

WillieRae
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks to everyone.

I value objective opinions, especially when either from personal experience or based on facts.

I'll stay local.

Looking at the vehicle I was considering (another Safari/Thing), I figure for half of what it would ultimately cost, I could to the same and better fwith the one I have.

I can't get carried away and do what I did NOB when I had 5 cars at onec.

Impulse buyer.

Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 am

Be aware the Thing uses an air cooled motor and probably would never pass a smog test here as they seem to be getting more serious about smog tests here. C.B. can't get his bug to pass. Don't get me wrong I always smile when a Thing passes me but not sure I want to own one because of smog issues in the future.

Enjoy the sun!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:48 am

I took it to the smog check and they said I couldn't do it until March due to my license plate #, but nothing about not needed or wouldn't pass, etc.

Maybe next time I see one around, I know there are 2-3 others Lakeside, I'll ask if I can get the chance.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:52 am

No, the old VW's won't pass however I'm not sure if classics are exempt or not. My vocho is 30 years old. There are thousands (and maybe tens of thousands) of them still on the roads in Mexico so not sure what they expect. I guess we will see if I get a fine next year.

Even the later models that have FI and catalytic converter's won't pass according to the mechanic, Ron Young in Chapala.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down