INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

San Miguel Real Estate Stats

+3
slainte39
gringal
Sideways
7 posters

Go down

San Miguel Real Estate Stats Empty San Miguel Real Estate Stats

Post by Sideways Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 am

The Trump Effect?  Anyone have stats for our area?  

http://sanmigueltimes.com/2017/02/growing-number-of-u-s-immigrants-take-refuge-in-san-miguel-de-allende/

from the article wrote: Mayor Ricardo Villareal declared that, despite to the decrease in the number of North American tourists, we see a significant rise on the purchase of real estate. In that sense, Villareal pointed out that, only in January 2017, at least 477 properties were bought in SMA, compared to a total of 192, during the same period last year.

“A boom in the real estate market has recently surged in San Miguel, and we are currently working on a tour to visit five cities in the United States, in order to invite American citizens to visit San Miguel de Allende, and take advantage of the current exchange rate”.

Finally, for Francoise Yohalem, the growing number of Americans applying for their permanent residence in Mexico, is great news. “Some American friends have already told me that they want to come, and others who have lived here for many years also mentioned that their relatives are currently thinking of moving down here.”  

And the original story in Spanish from El Financiero which is a Bloomberg publication.
http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/migrantes-eu-se-refugian-en-san-miguel-de-allende-por-temor-a-donald-trump.html

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

San Miguel Real Estate Stats Empty Re: San Miguel Real Estate Stats

Post by gringal Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:31 am

I very much doubt that the election of any U.S. president would be sufficient motivation for any significant number of people to make the decision to move to a foreign country.  Some may wish to think so.

A much more likely cause for the upsurge in real estate sales is the huge "boomer" generation reaching retirement age and finding that the cost of living in the U.S. at their usual lifestyle level is much higher in the States than it is in Mexico.  Add to that, the fact that the job market for those in their age group has shrunken drastically.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:19 am

gringal wrote:I very much doubt that the election of any U.S. president would be sufficient motivation for any significant number of people to make the decision to move to a foreign country.

Why do you doubt that?  There has been a strong surge in real estate purchases by Americans in the Lake Chapala area since the advent of  the Trump presidency.  I don't think those baby boomers all gelled about finding Mexico at the same time.
I think it is significant factor, but  of course not the only one or a majority one.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 am

How about this scenario: they were thinking about retiring to Mexico, but the election was the last straw?
I just can't wrap my head around moving to a foreign country, leaving friends and family and all that becoming an expat entails, because of an election result.
It's not like he was elected for life.........hmmm.
scratch

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by RichD Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 pm

gringal wrote:It's not like he was elected for life...

Possibly the life of The Republic.

Last edited by RichD on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RichD
RichD
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Hey Slainte, could you define "strong surge.... by Americans" for us?
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:18 pm

I agree, Gringal. No one who was happy with a life they could afford decides to suddenly move to another country because an insane person was s/elected the so-called president. People already unhappy and dissatisfied and/or struggling (and possibly failing) to afford the life they want who have been considering an expat adventure might be pushed over the edge by the political climate. Otherwise, no.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 pm

RickS wrote:Hey Slainte, could you define "strong surge.... by Americans" for us?  

More than usual, compared to over a 12 month or longer period. If the new American buyers are ardent Trump supporters, they are keeping it pretty well hidden.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Defarge Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 pm

When the notion of cutting social security benefits and pushing back eligibility ages are discussed, people get nervous. When it is proposed to either privatize Medicare or raise the monthly premium to those entering after 2022 0r 2024, to $1000 USD people get nervous. Repealing the ACA also frightened self insured people caught between an early retirement and Medicare. Elections have consequences or so I have heard. We applied for our permanente based on this and are continuing to build our Guanajuato City house while selling our Ajijic property. I won't allow medical expenses to wipe out what I have worked and saved for years to the benefit of the medical industrial complex in the US. Trump is a figurehead, I worry more about Congress and who they are indebted to.
Defarge
Defarge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down