INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That Mind Set

+22
Kiri
ltollefs
Clete
slainte39
dcampbell757
juanrey
gvprod
Canada_Mike
Lady Otter Latté
kipissippi
ferret
gringal
jrm30655
CanuckBob
sampati
Gamina
brigitte
Clueless
Bubba2shoes
SunshineyDay
Defarge
Trailrunner
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

That Mind Set - Page 2 Empty Re: That Mind Set

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 pm

There's one ting people always have to remember: Es México. So, chill and have a tequila.

Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:00 pm

I went to the vivero today, and they didn't have what I wanted. The fellow there explained they had it at the other store. He'd go and be back in ten minutes. I said, "Diez minutos norte?" (10 north minutes.) "No," he answered, "Mexico." So I settled in and relaxed for half an hour.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:31 pm

flag waver flag waver flag waver
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Defarge Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:12 pm

Trailrunner wrote:She and her husband are in a motorhome with Ontario plates and are probably in their fifties. She said she teaches music and her husband is a musician.

No. I agree. In fact, I give them 6 months max.

Okay, let me get this straight: A woman living in a trailer park thinks she is going to get a city bus to change its route?

Introduce her to the gringo in the big house across the street from the restaurant that plays music too loud for him. And has been doing so for years. She can ask how that's worked out for him.

My money is on the bus.
Defarge
Defarge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 pm

hahaha Defarge. You are correct except for the fact that they and their motorhome are parked in a small garden house lot, without a house, that has been used for motorhomes in the past.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:There's one ting people always have to remember: Es México. So, chill and have a tequila.

Oh, as one who travelled about the world in the 1960s, I would advise caution on that chilling with a tequila solution.  In the 1960s, I made many seemingly sincere frinds in  a bar in Kampala, Uganda as I downed copious amots of the national drink, Uganda Waragi.  A fine and potent drink, I might attest. I awoke the next morning with a serious hangover and no wallet and never saw my new buddies again.  Fortunately. my dad was still on the planet at that time and sent me some rescue change.  Today, I´d be in a Kampala gutter  begging for change.   The food in Kampala is pretty good  but they want money in exchange.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Bubba, I said A tequila! Not a bottle!!!

Besides, it was too early to drink, so I got a bottle of water. :-)
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Defarge Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Trailrunner wrote:hahaha Defarge. You are correct except for the fact that they and their motorhome are parked in a small garden house lot, without a house, that has been used for motorhomes in the past.

Yeah, but my point was unless they own the lot, they really don't have skin in the game. Their investment in the community is less than our friend by the noisy restaurant. I doubt the municipality will do much listening to a newbie with the whole potential transient factor going on. Hell, they may make their front yard a bus stop.
Defarge
Defarge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:45 pm

hahahahaha Or put a tope in, just for her!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:38 pm

if you need clean, new car transportation call 333 105 3243 airport trip cost me $300.00 pesos
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:There's one ting people always have to remember: Es México. So, chill and have a tequila.

Which presumes Mexicans are lethargic drunkards generally speaking.  As an Alabama boy, I think of Canadians. and I worked with a number of them in the 1980s, as folks with an inferiority complex  because of their proximity to the insufferable United States.  I know this is an unfair presumption  but lay off of others you fail to understand.  For instance, it is presumed that I, as an Alabama white boy, am a racist pig.  i actually was a dedicated civil rights worker in the 1960s marching the Streets of Birmingham in dangerous territory.  Steriotypes exist in weak minds.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Nah.....not just a racist pig. Throw in cousin kissing, uneducated, moonshine swilling redneck. That's what we stereotype "bama" boys as. You can chuck Arkansas in that stereotype  too.....

Beer

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm

How did Arkansas get into the mix?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 pm

It starts with an A.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 pm

lol

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 am

Bubba, "Es Mexico" is a reminder to myself and others who are from NOB that we really are in a different culture, and cannot expect people in a different culture to follow the rules of ours. "Have a tequila" is directed just to those people who get upset because they have to change their expectations.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:51 am

When we first started researching Lakeside 7 years ago, there were internet articles, a few blogs and 3 web forums. Newbies could ask questions and get really good information about what living here was like.
In the last couple years there have been several new FB groups giving lots of info about Lakeside and the number of people joining these groups have really grown.
And that's a very good thing.
However, I am noticing a lot of questions and comments that seem to be indicating (at least to me) that people are coming down to look or just moving down without really thinking it through. It seems to me that quite a few are looking at the financial and the weather and saying "That's cool - let's pack up and go".
I'm thinking that there are going to be a lot of short-staying gringos coming down and realizing that "wow, this is a different county and I don't like it".
Curious as to whether it's just me reading into people's comments or what.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by dcampbell757 Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:21 pm

IMO people who leave their expectations and frame of reference at the border adapt easier to living in a different culture. Relax and enjoy, the journey is wonderful.

dcampbell757
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Couldn't agree more. I've learned so much being down here, and it's changed me very much for the better.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:40 pm

juanrey wrote:When we first started researching Lakeside 7 years ago, there were internet articles, a few blogs and 3 web forums.  Newbies could ask questions and get really good information about what living here was like.
In the last couple years there have been several new FB groups giving lots of info about Lakeside and the number of people joining these groups have really grown.
However, I am noticing a lot of questions and comments that seem to be indicating (at least to me) that people are coming down to look or just moving down without really thinking it through.  It seems to me that quite a few are looking at the financial and the weather and saying "That's cool - let's pack up and go".  
I'm thinking that there are going to be a lot of short-staying gringos coming down and realizing that "wow, this is a different county and I don't like it".

I totally agree, Juan, that is exactly what it looks like to me too. They are getting advice from others that got here last month and there is one after another post about moving here and being on the way. They are doing no research on their own about the country, I don't think they even have much interest in the country outside of Ajijic! They haven't traveled the country, for some they have never set foot inside this country before moving here, and they are exactly the ones that end up with the mindset like I described in the OP.

Their bad. And it will cost them plenty.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm

"They" should all be sent to La Yerbabuena, Colima, where I just returned from, for a week of indoctrination.
It would thin the ranks...... lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

slainte39 wrote:"They" should all be sent to La Yerbabuena, Colima, where I just returned from, for a week of indoctrination.

And Yerbabuena residents have been returning to live in the village since the attempt to get them to relocate has ended and the military has left.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Bubba, "Es Mexico" is a reminder to myself and others who are from NOB that we really are in a different culture, and cannot expect people in a different culture to follow the rules of ours. "Have a tequila" is directed just to those people who get upset because they have to change their expectations.

I think most read your post as it was intended. I'll join you for that tequila.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 pm

juanrey wrote:When we first started researching Lakeside 7 years ago, there were internet articles, a few blogs and 3 web forums. Newbies could ask questions and get really good information about what living here was like.
However, I am noticing a lot of questions and comments that seem to be indicating (at least to me) that people are coming down to look or just moving down without really thinking it through. It seems to me that quite a few are looking at the financial and the weather and saying "That's cool - let's pack up and go".

Agree totally. And as well as getting info from other newbies, those on the Facebook forum are getting info on a site that is very heavily censored. So the negative aspects are never revealed. Also, they seem to be running away from conditions they don't like, as opposed to being pulled to the new country they are considering. I think there will be a lot of short stays.
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:07 am

Clete wrote:
slainte39 wrote:"They" should all be sent to La Yerbabuena, Colima, where I just returned from, for a week of indoctrination.

And Yerbabuena residents have been returning to live in the village since the attempt to get them to relocate has ended and the military has left.

They (the residents) are much more resilient than these newbies arriving in Mexico from north of the border, if you know what I mean.  Besides, there is some income to be made taking tourists up the "hill" and renting jacalitos.  You can get quite a difference in the population even from the locals who live there that ranges from 30 up to 51.  
Hard to get them to stand still long enough for an accurate count.  Very Happy
The police are on guard down at the crossroads and count the cars going up.....more go up than come down.  lol!
I just took some Canadians up there who had wintered at Vidanta in Nuevo Vallarta to give them a "little contrast" of Mexico and something to remember that their neighbors at the Grand Luxxe hadn't done.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 am

Two pesos here:  Most "newbies" aren't youngsters.  Most of them have lived at least 50 years on the planet, which means they have long ago developed their basic attitudes toward living their lives. Some of those people are flexible; some feel "entitled" and others never change their minds about anything at all.  I've met the flexible ones: they know how to deal with change and alien landscapes.  They will stay.  They also know the difference between useful advice and b.s.

The ones who can't adapt to mayo with lemon in it have a problem that isn't going away.  They'll spend thousands to shop back in the states and they'll do all they can to try to change Mexico to be like back home.  Still others will stay and grouse for the rest of their lives. They would have groused if they had stayed where they were.  Nothing is ever going to be okay, anywhere.

I don't think we can't make assumptions about who will stick it out and who won't.
Maybe that lady with appointments every half hour has mellowed out and does one a day now.  Maybe she fled back to Boston. Maybe she's reading this and having a good laugh.
But yes, es Mexico and have some tequila is good advice when the topes appear.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next