INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

I don't know how to handle this situation and

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I don't know how to handle this situation and

Post by Clueless on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 am

maybe it's not my business, however being a dog lover, and I just can't stand by.

My auto mechanic, and also somewhat of a friend, has a "guard dog"(Rocky") that stays in his open air repair facility. Not sure the breed, but it's very large and I' sure well over 100#. The dog was there when I first arrived 12-years ago.

I would always bring him treats when I came in and we got along well.

A couple of years ago he got mange and it was never really treated. IMO, Mexicans for the most part view dogs differently than people in the U.S. Canada and a lot of the World where they are family members.

I hadn't seen Rocky for a while and when I did see him, he looked worse than bad. Large patches of hair gone, eyes running and clearly there was some bone/joint (probably arthritis) problems from the way he was walking.

My mechanic friend said that Rocky now sleeps most of the time. It is very clear to me that it's time for Rocky to be given a compassionate "final exit," from the book of the same name.

The problem is that I believe the "Mexican way" will be to just let Rocky die "naturally," having to go through a lot of pain and suffering. I think the problem is that to give Rocky a humane exit will cost money that either the mechanic doesn't have or just isn't available for that purpose.

I am going to talk to the mechanic today and give my opinion and offer to help. I think the mechanic will agree, I just don't know how to do it. I'm sure Rocky can not get into a car and I can't lift him. I also don't want to touch him since his skin now seems to have developed some "issue" that could be contagious.

I would really appreciate some thoughts since I want to help, I just don't know how.

Thanks.
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Re: I don't know how to handle this situation and

Post by CanuckBob on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am

Offer to pay for a vet to come to the shop and check him out. He can tell the mechanic if it is time to put Rocky down.......

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 am

CanuckBob wrote:Offer to pay for a vet to come to the shop and check him out. He can tell the mechanic if it is time to put Rocky down.......

I'd be more inclined to MYOB since the mechanic may have a different cultural attitude towards killing his old dog.
Unfortunately, you can't ask the dog what he wants done.

This also brings up a bit of a puzzle: NOB people are often inclined to think of their pets as "part of the family", but they don't have any other members of the family euthanized when they get old and sickly. Go figure? Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

Offering to pay for the vet would most likely offend the owner. The whole idea would need to be presented in the most diplomatic, face-saving manner.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by barbicheesecake on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 am

If I were in the position you are now in, I would take Bob's advice and have a vet come to to the facility. Unfortunately I've had to do this with several of my pet cats over the years. However they were finally put out of their misery. As Lady Otter says please be very diplomatic.
barbicheesecake
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : I shoulda been a comedian

http://barbiescheesecake.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 am

I haven't offended any Mexicans yet by giving them money or paying for something for them......

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 am

CanuckBob wrote:I haven't offended any Mexicans yet by giving them money or paying for something for them......

Ya know Bob.... If ya got a Few Extra Bucks yer not needing... I wouldn't be offended if ya offered it to me...... Beer

hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 am

Right back at ya Hocks.........offend me with as much as you can.......jaja.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

If the mange is treated...he would be much more comfortable. Dogs usually let you know when they are ready to go. If he's sleeping...who knows what wonderful dreams he's having.
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 pm

I spoke with my go-to guy and cultural interpreter about this situation. He said the best way to handle it is to talk casually to the owner about the dog. Ask how old he is. Mention he seems ill as old dogs often do. It is better to say you have a friend who knows a veterinarian who helps people with dogs. Maybe he is part of a group of people who help dogs with no charge. Offer to bring the vet over and he could help with the mange and will check the dog over to be sure he has no pain. The owner never needs to know you paid the vet. My guy says it is our custom to put dogs down when they are very old and/or in pain, but Mexicans generally do not do that.
My guy laughed when I told him about this discussion. He said all Mexicans will take money if it is offered to them. It is better to word it in ways that do not offend. He also said it is better to bring the dog to the vet yourself or have the vet come to the site. If you give money to the owner he may or may know how to arrange it and will spend the money on something else.
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top