INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ... any problems

3 posters

Go down

road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ...  any problems Empty road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ... any problems

Post by Sherman Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:46 pm

In taking highway 101 from City of Victoria to McAllen, someone just mentioned to me safety issues because of being stopped, robbed, etc. Anyone know about this? and does it make any difference between a US plated vs a MX plated car. I don't anticipate driving at night; only during the day.

Comments or thoughts?

Thanks ....

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ...  any problems Empty Re: road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ... any problems

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Years ago that used to be my favorite route and when the narco violence started I started taking the ETN bus going Reynosa-CdVictoria. I started noticing that it was becoming more desolate. I used to see the ranchitos and people walking or on bikes along the way. That disappeared and the dark sections became longer and longer.
On another note two of the head narcos just got killed, one in Reynosa and one in CdVictoria.
I have been looking for ride to go back but I would want to cross at Mission and pass by Monterrey

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ...  any problems Empty Re: road from Ciudad Victoria on highway 101 north towards McAllen ... any problems

Post by kiko Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:04 pm

No scientific data to back this post, just a seat of the pants opinion. I cross the border quite a bit, about 4 or 5 times a year by land. I drive the speed limit and obey traffic laws. In the last year, I have been stopped more often than ever before in my wife's Texas plated vehicle. When I drove to Texas on Friday on Hwy 57 I noticed only 4 US plated vehicles in route and 2 Canadian plated vehicles. All of the Texas plated vehicles (4) were stopped by the Camino Federales. I never saw a Canadian vehicle stopped. When I was pulled over for no reason, I engaged in a long conversation with the officer (in Spanish.) Finally he said, the Americans seldom speak Spanish but you, well you are different, ,,,Que te vaya bien. Elections have consequences.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Jreboll wrote:Years ago that used to be my favorite route and when the narco violence started I started taking the ETN bus going Reynosa-CdVictoria. I started noticing that it was becoming more desolate. I used to see the ranchitos and people walking or on bikes along the way. That disappeared and the dark sections became longer and longer.
On another note two of the head narcos just got killed, one in Reynosa and one in CdVictoria.
I have been looking for ride to go back but I would want to cross at Mission and pass by Monterrey

So, it sounds like currently there are still safety issues from Victoria to the border? I don't mind a bit of risk, but I don't like chancing being in the wrong place at the wrong time .... and I'm traveling by myself. That leaves going north via Matahuela and Monterrey. I don't recognize the border crossing or border town of 'Mission' .... it is where?

Thanks

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 pm

kiko wrote:No scientific data to back this post, just a seat of the pants opinion.  I cross the border quite a bit, about 4 or 5 times a year by land.  I drive the speed limit and obey traffic laws.  In the last year, I have been stopped more often than ever before in my wife's Texas plated vehicle.  When I drove to Texas on Friday on Hwy 57 I noticed only 4 US plated vehicles in route and 2 Canadian plated vehicles.  All of the Texas plated vehicles (4) were stopped by the Camino Federales.  I never saw a Canadian vehicle stopped.  When I was pulled over for no reason, I engaged in a long conversation with the officer (in Spanish.)  Finally he said, the Americans seldom speak Spanish but you, well you are different, ,,,Que te vaya bien.  Elections have consequences.

Yes, elections and harrassment has consequences ..... however, I have a MX plated car and perhaps that helps. Since the election, I've traveled NOB twice without a problem, but stayed on the route Matahuela, Monterrey, Laredo .....

Thanks for your input .... "gut" responses are useful and often valid.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Just before you get to Reynosa there is a sign pointing to Anzalduas crossing. You can find it on Google maps

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jreboll Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 pm

As you probably know there is a new toll road Monterrey-Saltillo. Last year when I came through there the signs for the route to Reynosa were not erected yet so ask at the toll booths where the turns are.

Jreboll
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 pm

thanks ...

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down