INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis?

+3
CHILLIN
Trailrunner
sm1mex
7 posters

Go down

Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis? Empty Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis?

Post by sm1mex Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:50 pm

If anyone knows of a crisis hotline number, please list it.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis? Empty Re: Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis?

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:16 pm

What kind of crisis?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis? Empty Re: Is there a crisis hot line if someone needs to call in a crisis?

Post by sm1mex Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:30 pm

Bi-polar Husband abusing wife and children.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:34 pm

That sounds like D.I.F. territory to me.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:39 pm

Psychiatric care is hard to find here. I know of no psychiatric hotline but there are psych units/hospitals in Guadalajara. You could ask Dr. Jim Jaramillo contact through Maskaras. Yeah, ask DIF too.

I think guys like this end up in jail more often than psych units.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Police have been called more than once and wouldn't do anything. I am just trying to get some resources for the family. I am not Mexican nor fluent in Spanish so cannot get personally involved in domestic things. I have found some numbers and sent to the person in need. I have also sent Spencers information for guidance.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

I have asked my Doctor who is an ER doctor in Guadalajara. She probably treats victims like this all the time. I also asked if there is a woman's shelter. I am also thinking the Seguro Popular Chapala Medical Clinic on Flavio has a Social Worker - I know because I have met her.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks. Any numbers I can pass on can help. The person will need to take steps to help her and her children. Not easy for a Mexican lady. She is going to need to get help at lakeside as going into Guadalajara isn't an option.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:04 pm

DIF in San Miguel de Allende had a legal department for situations like this and could issue restraining orders etc. Sometimes just the "paper threat" is enough to get the abuser to back off
I don't know if the one here does the same but it would be worth checking out.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:48 pm

In terms of helping *her*, what about Love in Action? Won't they take her and the kids?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by JayBear Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:11 pm

More info on Love in Action?

JayBear
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:59 am

I don't think Love in Action takes Adults, only children. Does anyone know more about LIA ?

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:42 am

Go talk to them! The information you get will be correct. They took a boy and his grandmother that I know in, but that was a long time ago. They've had a management change since then and I don't know what they're up to now.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:55 am

Years ago they only took children not adults. Like Trailrunner said, go talk to them. Some there speak English.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:49 pm

This is a Mexican lady and child, so no problem with language.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Best to help in the distance. You own personal safety may be at stake, and the ebbs and flows of a Mexican marriage, whether gay or straight, are very difficult for an outsider to understand. Spousal abuse is a big problem in this country and D.I.F. is very involved with this.

This link from U.S.A. Today shows how volatile this issue is, and quotes a Mexican news site that 44% of women in Mexico have experienced domestic violence.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/04/25/state-violence-against-women-mexico/83488114/

Last edited by CHILLIN on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Right. I am only sending her resource information and I have told her she will have to take the steps for help. I am not personally involved, just providing information. I have given her the DIF phone number and also a contact person at DIF, along with a lot of other resources to ask for help and guidance.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:38 pm

You have done your best - you are a good person! flag waver
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm

Well she is in a pretty pitiful situation. She is afraid for her child. Hopefully she will start to call resources Monday when they are available.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 pm

I kind of doubt whether a phone call would work. It is more likely the Mexican way, especially in this rural area, you have to show up to the D.I.F. office and wait in line for your turn, or schedule for another appointment. This is the same with Seguro Popular and the D.I.F. office I visited in Puerto Vallarta. There isn't a lot of  support staff about. You could tell though that they were all totally dedicated to this sort of work. Rare these days NOB.

If it gets really bad, there is an agency which will take in the child, sort of like protective custody, but nowhere near as formal as in the North. A time for the adults to sort themselves out.

Last edited by CHILLIN on Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:55 pm

How old is the child? I have seen this situation in Chiapas quite often as wife beating and abuse is a huge problem there. They have hotlines to denounce the husbands and abusers and of course they are pretty useless because putting the husband away or making him go to some seminars does not change anything and the women end up with the same guy but a little angrier when it is all over.
The only women who ave been successful at dealing with that problem are the women who have left the bum. In the indigenous societies usually the women move back with her family but not always.. I know several women who have gone through the process and it has been very difficult for them to leave and start from scratch with usually a young child and sometimes several.. but to the woman they are all happy they did it..This woman probably need s to move away from this man after the social services have recognized that she is being abused otherwise there could be a problem with the child..as the father has rights too..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:09 pm

The child is a male teen. I have gotten a lot of feedback and resources so I think this thread has answered my request for resources. The Mexican lady has all the information and will need to go with it. She speaks both English and Spanish so she should be able to speak to any of the resources whether they are gringo or Mexican. Thank you every one for the information. I think we can put this thread to bed.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down