INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad?

+12
slainte39
solajijic
gringal
RVGRINGO
mattoleriver
Lady Otter Latté
Bubba2shoes
Bill Phillips
Trailrunner
CanuckBob
Gamina
Rosa Venus
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I thought we were having fun with this. I am anyway!

It appears that some people's fun is another person's "crusty," which sounds vaguely disgusting. Sounds as though someone is projecting perhaps? Don't see how anyone could take this thread seriously.

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry. Double posted.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:34 pm

So, for some people bacon in a Caesar comes as no surprise, and for others, it's unexpected and borderline blasphemous. This is why i was wondering if maybe it's a regional thing?

I like bacon as much as anyone. I just don't expect it in a Caesar salad. It's not that it's bad, but it definitely takes the salad in a different direction. The Casear at the Brewhouse has bacon (and by association, presumably Adelita's does too). The one at Gossips also has it, thick cut chunks if bacon cubed. To each their own.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:44 pm

You are right, Rosa. The bacon takes it in a whole different direction. I doubt I ever got one that had bacon in it but it has been a very long time since I ordered one. They had been too disappointing too many times.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Wow. Just wow. Have fun!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:52 pm

I don't think you can get a bad Caesar in California, I never did anyway, and I ate them all the time. No bacon, never seen that in CA. Here??? BLEH! Had to stop ordering them, as LOL says, too disappointing.

However, the BEST Caesar I ever had in CA had fried calamari rings for croutons. omg That was so good.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Trailrunner wrote:I don't think you can get a bad Caesar in California, I never did anyway, and I ate them all the time. No bacon, never seen that in CA. Here??? BLEH! Had to stop ordering them, as LOL says, too disappointing.

However, the BEST Caesar I ever had in CA had fried calamari rings for croutons. omg That was so good.

My best ever Caesar salad was also in California, in a restaurant at the La Jolla Cove. It was made at the table and was totally classic, just perfect. Never expect to have another that good again. Sigh.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 pm

We just have to make our own! They're not hard to make.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:10 am

Rosa Venus wrote: The one at Gossips also has it, thick cut chunks if bacon cubed. To each their own.

The owner is a Muslim, so when his Mexican Christian wife isn't looking, he gets rid of his bacon on the salads.

Ceasar (Julio) who invented the salad was around during the time of JC, so like many other foods from that era, don't you think there would be some evolution over that long length of time.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rckrckr Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 am

The Caesar salad was invented by Caesar Cardini at his restaurant in Tijuana. No bacon in it, but if that blows your skirt up go for it. Wow.

rckrckr
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 am

Caesar had a restaurant in Tijuana?  Had to be before Brutus stabbed him in the gut.

Slow fishing day.....they just aren't biting.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:23 am

rckrckr wrote:The Caesar salad was invented by Caesar Cardini at his restaurant in Tijuana. No bacon in it, but if that blows your skirt up go for it. Wow.

No anchovies in it either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_salad

Wondering how other people are preparing the egg for the dressing? For the last twenty years, I've been soaking my egg (in the shell) in a solution of Microdyn because I have assumed that the danger of salmonella is on the outside of the egg. Haven't gotten sick from the raw egg yet but wondering if my logic is correct?

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 pm

I would send a caesar served with bacon back to the kitchen. I don't eat bacon and don't expect it to be in a caesar salad. If they want to serve it that way then they should advertise it that manner the same as is done for a "chicken caesar" (or shrimp).

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Why is there bacon in my Caesar Salad? - Page 2 Empty ng

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm

It seems to me that any restaurant serving "Caesar Salad" could offer proper variations to Cardini's original recipe as long as those variations are disclosed and therefore proffered. The next time I make what I consider a Caesar type salad, I plan to mix in some crumbled fried bacon in lieu of the traditional North American style salted, canned anchovies. That might be a pleasant variation.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Defarge Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Anchovies , garlic, Dijon, red wine vinegar, egg yolk ( raw) lemon juice, olive oil,salt , pepper. That's a traditional Caesar dressing. Romaine ,grated or shaved Parmesan.,croutons. That's it. Anything else is a modification.
Defarge
Defarge
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2