INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forty Minutes

+12
goleafsgo
Rosa Venus
brigitte
CanuckBob
slainte39
suegarn
gringal
ferret
Gamina
coffeeguy
Lady Otter Latté
Trailrunner
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forty Minutes - Page 2 Empty Re: Forty Minutes

Post by ferret Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I took the backroad today from the 711 in Riberas and all I wanted to do was get to Handy Mail which is just east of Superlake. Unbelievably bad roads... as in, I wish I still had my Jeep with 4 wheel drive. Actually took me longer than if I had crawled along on the highway. Sigh.
Bicycle race will be continuing tomorrow as well so give yourself plenty of time to get where you're going even if it will be Sunday morning.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 pm

bad roads , garbage trucks, buses and people who take for ever to figure out where they are and where they are going.. you cannot win but I prefer the village route than the carretera, in the village at least you can see people you know ..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes, the traffic sucks, especially with the construction on the carretera right now in Ajijic. And the San Antonio bottleneck between Walmart and Chula Vista is god-awful. But when I feel like bitching about it I try to remind myself of this:

The only people who complain about excessive car traffic are people driving cars.

I'm the enemy! I'm part of the problem. Blah. (That said, I really could have done without the surprise bycicle race that closed the carretera in La Floresta this morning. Wasn't expecting that.) At least those of us who've been here a while know alternate routes.

And on the bright side, they HAVE TO finish the Ajijic carretera mess before the fiestas arrive at the end of November. Right? RIGHT???? Just imagine the vendors stalls here for a week without it being finished...

mariachi
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:25 am

ferret wrote:And my point and purpose was that there are good drivers and bad drivers... of both buses and cars.
I also didn't understand where your rant came from. BTW, I took buses, subways and trains for a good portion of my life. And my ex father-in-law was a bus driver so I'm more than familiar with the rants from all sides.
I do not appreciate any driver who doesn't adhere to the rules and regulations.

Amen!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:30 am

gringal wrote: so my question remains: Have the Powers That Be come up with a prospective permanent solution?  I heard some suggestions about going around the towns on the mountain side, but the problem there is land ownership and grade.  Anyone with more information?

No plans...no money.
No money...no plans.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:01 am

Exactly, Rosa! And I will remember the next time I am smugly sitting in a long line of traffic that I am most certainly the enemy and part of the problem. 

However, others that complain about the traffic are people who can't get across the street. By my observations though, most drivers are polite and generous in stopping to let people in or to cross the street. That's the best I can do too.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 am

I know a guy who will drive any and all individuals to the airport who are unhappy or have a complained about the way of life in a country that is not theirs to start with.

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:30 am

goleafsgo wrote:I know a guy who will drive any and all individuals to the airport who are unhappy or have a complained about the way of life in a country that is not theirs to start with.  

Really?  You mean the dense traffic happening in the Lakeside area is part of "Mexican culture" or "the way of life" here?... and here I thought it was something that has developed because of increased car ownership, lack of funds to fix the problems and lack of alternative routes?  Rolling Eyes

On pedestrians crossing the road: Not really a problem at the stop lights. Popping out in the middle of the road while traffic is moving? Problem. This takes flawless timing, a fatalistic outlook and fast feet.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:15 am

I am afraid that bad traffic is a Mexican way of life, try San Cristobal, Oaxaca, Puebla and may other places in the country .. many of the villages and cities are very od and were not built for cars.. Houses have no parking and there ae few parking areas which results in major traffic jams..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:39 am

RE: Really!!!
I believe you missed the gist of my comment.
To put it in words you may understand.
If you are not willing to underwrite the infrastructure of the Lake Chapala area.
Stop bitching and complaining about things that are out of your and our control.
However, a simple solution to your traffic concerns is that you can park your car and start walking.

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Really!!!
My friend states he/she is still willing to take you to the airport so that you will can enjoy your return back to where came from!!!!!!!

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:13 pm

brigitte wrote:I am afraid that bad traffic is a Mexican way of life, try San Cristobal, Oaxaca, Puebla and may other places in the country .. many of the villages and cities are very od and were not built for cars.. Houses have no parking and there ae few parking areas  which results in major traffic jams..  

The culture we're really talking about is the Car Culture that's developed fairly recently, probably due to increased general prosperity.  If everyone who could take the bus to go from here to there, did so, the traffic problem would decrease.  If you look at the cars on the road, the majority have no more than two people in them.  Many only one.  (My two person family is as guilty as the rest) However, complaining about traffic in a generally auto-clogged area is not a reason to self-deport, is it? The natural human response to annoyance is letting off steam by complaining; uselessly or not.

Speaking of old houses and little parking, my casa still has the old horse hitching loops on the outside walls.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:15 pm

goleafsgo wrote:Re: Really!!!
My friend states he/she is still willing to take you to the airport so that you will can enjoy your return back to where came from!!!!!!!

I thought that the only people who suggest others leave the country were all on TOB.  Looks like we have an original thinker here, now.  You're a welcome addition to the area since you're healthy enough to walk wherever you need to go. Keeps the traffic down.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Brigitte: My responses to trailrunner were and or made with a tongue in cheek viewpoint.
We also are a two person family and do not have a car.
We walk or take the bus and most times stand while allowing the locals to have the free seats.

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:39 pm

And we are all sooo glad that you are physically able to do that.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 pm

ferret wrote:And we are all sooo glad that you are physically able to do that.

ROFL. As I see the many people with canes, walking aids and obvious mobility problems here, I occasionally find myself wallowing in a little empathy as they struggle into their vehicles. A character weakness, I know. Suspect

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Only those who have experienced or are experiencing it will have any empathy for you gringal. Hang tough!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by goleafsgo Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Ferret:
I'm glad that you are sooooooooooooooo glad!!!!!
Hopefully, you are able to walk and use public transportation.
Any how thanks for the feedback.

goleafsgo

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:02 pm

goleafsgo wrote:Brigitte: My responses to trailrunner were and or made with a tongue in cheek viewpoint.
We also are a two person family and do not have a car.
We walk or take the bus and most times stand while allowing the locals to have the free seats.  

Feeling virtuous, eh?

BTW, Trailrunner has been in Mexico longer than most of the old timers posting on here, and is well known for being in the pro-Mexican cheerleading section. Some of the others posting in this thread have made the commitment of becoming Mexican citizens. They are entitled to complain about anything they want to.

Last edited by gringal on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

You forgot the people who pay taxes but don't get to say how the money is spent.
So, how long has goleafsgo been here? Permanent resident? If so, how many years? I would guess that such an opinionated person may be a newbie with a lot to learn.
I drive... hope that it's OK with you goleafsgo since I have a chronic back problem.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm

ferret wrote:You forgot the people who pay taxes but don't get to say how the money is spent.
So, how long has goleafsgo been here? Permanent resident? If so, how many years? I would guess that such an opinionated person may be a newbie with a lot to learn.
I drive... hope that it's OK with you goleafsgo since I have a chronic back problem.

Taxpayers having complaints? Where did that radical notion come from? 'Course, the taxes aren't much, but neither is the level of road maintenance.

I suspect the lamination on his/her temp visa is still warm. Very Happy

Last edited by gringal on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Car culture, is last 20 year culture, as is cell phones, computers, fast food, and a whole lot of other things in Mexico. Compared to how the Spanish changed the culture when they came, this is at least somewhat internally driven. Haven't those changes happened around the world from London to Shanghai?
Lazaro Cardenas is a traffic light free calzada from Gonzalez Gallo to Juan Palomar y Arias, with 6 lanes, in GDL and just like Ajijic, or worse, at certain  times of the day, it can be the longest parking lot in the city.
We all hear your complaints TR, (LOL), even falling on  deaf ears. (2xLOL),..... born here.
mariachi

PS.....catching a bus on the main thoroughfares in GDL during PM rush hour isn't exactly a "walk in the park" either, if you know what I mean. Water seeks it's own level, no matter how much you bitch or complain.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks for the confirmation slainte39. I was going to say 20 years for the car culture but I'm not sure exactly when credit for cars became available. That has certainly fuelled the boom.
BTW, in Toronto, the other name for the Don Valley Parkway is the Don Valley Parking Lot... at certain times of the day.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:32 pm

ferret wrote:Thanks for the confirmation slainte39. I was going to say 20 years for the car culture but I'm not sure exactly when credit for cars became available. That has certainly fuelled the boom.
BTW, in Toronto, the other name for the Don Valley Parkway is the Don Valley Parking Lot... at certain times of the day.

Blame it on Pancho Villa, as I, a long time ago, saw his bullet ridden automobile at his hacienda up in Chihuahua. I'm sure there were others before him.
Maybe, Carretera Chapala-Jocotopec connected by Ajijic Parking lot for through traffic with machines at the entrada  and salida to raise some revenue.  40 min, or up to one hour= minimum charge.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Hahaha good thread. I quit reading the first page after getting ranted on for attempting to create empathy for the Chapala bus drivers. Tough job, they see a lot, I have a lot of patience for them and I think they are courteous - far as bus drivers go. The ones is GDL will run your ass over and keep on going!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey, new guy! I know who you are. lolol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder