INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New: La Terraza

+3
slainte39
gringal
Canada_Mike
7 posters

Go down

New: La Terraza Empty New: La Terraza

Post by Canada_Mike Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Anew place is opening soon. It's Bobby's La Terrazza. It's where El Serape used to be. Hope it's good since it's around the corner from me.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

New: La Terraza Empty Re: New: La Terraza

Post by gringal Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:Anew place is opening soon. It's Bobby's La Terrazza. It's where El Serape used to be. Hope it's good since it's around the corner from me.

Anyone know how soon? According to posters on TOB, it's to be a twist on Mexican food. If Bobby's supervising or doing the cooking, it's bound to be tasty.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Agree, he's been in the food business a long time and if he sets his mind to running it properly, it will be a winner.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 pm

“...if he sets his mind to running it properly,...” will be the big question. I recall all the years of high drama and inconsistent reviews of Roberto’s. It seemed that if Bobby was there and in a good mood and the stars were aligned it was a wonderful restaurant. Then if Bobby was not there or some drama was happening or he was in a bad mood it was not a good experience. He is lucky. The cult of Bobby members appear to remain hopeful. Hope he does not disappoint.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 pm

I am surprised the deal / sale contract with the new owners of Robertos did not include a note that Bobby would not be able to open a new business within a certain range/ location of the present business...
For some one who a few months back was serious ill , asking for funds for medical expenses, perhaps resting and recuperating is a better situation.

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:31 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:“...if he sets his mind to running it properly,...” will be the big question. I recall all the years of high drama and inconsistent reviews of Roberto’s. It seemed that if Bobby was there and in a good mood and the stars were aligned it was a wonderful restaurant. Then if Bobby was not there or some drama was happening or he was in a bad mood it was not a good experience. He is lucky. The cult of Bobby members appear to remain hopeful. Hope he does not disappoint.

I don't think we're talking about a "cult". That's insulting. The people who appreciate Bobby's ability to present a fine meal probably first became fans when he had the lakefront restaurant, did most of the cooking himself and when the present co-owner of Cocinart worked with him in the kitchen. I don't remember the exact time frame, but it was not long after he moved to the larger location that he got cancer and the restaurant problems began with his taking on a partner who, in Bobby's absence, lowered the quality of the meals. Illness and success don't go together often. I wish him good health, a manageable situation and the ability to recover the quality his supporters appreciated in the first place.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 am

Well said gringal!

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Gringal, many restaurants here have what I call cult followings. We love them despite their shortcomings and forgive them everything because they meet some sweet spot for us. Roberto’s was such a place. It just never did it for me. I too ate at the original Roberto’s on the lake and enjoyed it. I also ate several times at the “new” location. I just never fell in love with it. To my knowledge I have never met Bobby. So I guess I missed out on his culinary magic and charisma. I just know that for years I have been reading the ongoing reviews both good and bad, and I commented on it.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Yep, he even allowed smoking and dogs........go figure.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Gringal, many restaurants here have what I call cult followings. We love them despite their shortcomings and forgive them everything because they meet some sweet spot for us. Roberto’s was such a place. It just never did it for me. I too ate at the original Roberto’s on the lake and enjoyed it. I also ate several times at the “new” location. I just never fell in love with it. To my knowledge I have never met Bobby. So I guess I missed out on his culinary magic and charisma. I just know that for years I have been reading the ongoing reviews both good and bad, and I commented on it.

I respectfully disagree about your use of the term "cult" and of the concept of people forgiving "everything" or being "in love with it".  I don't, for one.  Roberto's and I parted company shortly after the partner came on board and the food quality went downhill.  
I gave it another chance after it changed hands and had a very disappointing lunch.  As for Roberto himself, I did get to know him over the years and I noted that he didn't "suffer fools lightly", but it took quite a bit to pish him off.  He had a good sense of humor in an irreverent way, which I appreciate in people. Attempting to put people down with insufficient evidence is another matter.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:00 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Yep, he even allowed smoking and dogs........go figure.

Yes he did, and that's why we normally dined inside, where he didn't. BTW, I go to several places where dogs are allowed, including Cocinart and Gosha's. The food has to be very good to overcome my prejudice re inconsiderate pet owners.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by gringal on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

gringal wrote:

I don't think we're talking about a "cult".  That's insulting.  

Just to mediate a little between two well spoken people.

I think "cult" can be interpreted broadly between a light hearted, free spirited group of people enjoying mundane daily life experiences to heavy handed Jim Jones, kool-ade drinking, members, or the KKK.

I appreciate an abuelito loving cult of nietas........ Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:16 pm

"I appreciate an abuelito loving cult of nietas".
Indeed, that's to be appreciated.

How about that gang of red-wearing guru followers up in Oregon who they made the Netflix movie about recently: that's what I'd call a real "cult". What a mess!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:20 pm

gringal wrote:"I appreciate an abuelito loving cult of nietas".  
Indeed, that's to be appreciated.

How about that gang of red-wearing guru followers up in Oregon who they made the Netflix movie about recently:  that's what I'd call a real "cult". What a mess!

Absolutely!!!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Gringal, I honestly don’t care that much about a former restaurant owner opening a new place and some of his former loyal followers being very excited about it. Thanks for all your sharing about the wonders of Bobby and his skills but I will now extricate myself from this thread and go out for lunch.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Gringal, I honestly don’t care that much about a former restaurant owner opening a new place and some of his former loyal followers being very excited about it. Thanks for all your sharing about the wonders of Bobby and his skills but I will now extricate myself from this thread and go out for lunch.

Nothing changes, does it? The put-downs roll on, "world without end, Amen."
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down