INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

thunder dark clouds

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by SunshineyDay on Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 pm

What was the prize?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by Trailrunner on Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 pm

I dunno.
avatar
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6104
Join date : 2011-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CanuckBob on Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 pm

A year's subscription to Lake Chapala Reporter and dinner with Pedro (or Ned)...??

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14744
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 55
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by Trailrunner on Wed May 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Yay!!! Nedro! 

flag waver
avatar
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6104
Join date : 2011-04-18

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Jaja.......I'm in the middle of roofing job. I washed my car today too. Guess I'll put out a welcome mat for the mosquitos now......

The mosquitoes are here, trust me. I would post a pic of just one foot, but... I have received no less than 30 bites in 3 days! I went to Walmart and purchased Off, Citronella candle, and incense. I should have purchased Raid and a bug bomb too... I slept with the fan blowing on my body so they would have a hard time landing and the little blood suckers found my head! Easy decision about how often to have pest control, or if I need screens versus a blood transfusion.... hehehe. Texted hubby a pick of one foot so he would have an idea of what my legs and arms look like... I'll be polite and not repeat what he said. Needless to say I am half way through the can of Off in 1 day.

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by brigitte on Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 pm

well there is dengue in the area so yo should not let the mosquitoes get to you.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3468
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Wed May 02, 2018 10:47 pm

brigitte wrote:well there is dengue in the area so yo should not let the mosquitoes get to you.

LOL someone should tell the people at the 5 star hotel. I showed them all the bites and explained what I had done already. I was hoping they would say something like "oh we will spray your room". But... a rather ho-hum expression followed; another American complaining about mosquitoes.... So fumigating my 5 star hotel room wasn't on my list, but I added it. There are literally clouds of the little blood suckers as I walk from the car to the room.

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by caligirl108 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 pm

DEETis the only thing that really works, and trust me, having had Zika (probable, as platelet count didn't drop as w Dengue) you really don't want any mosquito borne illness. DEET is only available as brought down by our Canadian friends. But it is a life-saver. 103F fever for 5 days is really not fun.. Its the mosquitos with the striped legs to watch out for. If you use essential oils on your body instead of perfume, it helps.. can be any of your choice - lavender, cedar wood, orange, patchouli .. no matter, all work.

caligirl108
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 52
Join date : 2015-11-21

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by Smartalex on Wed May 02, 2018 11:49 pm

The Mexican weather service is predicting a better than 50 percent probability of tormentas for Chapala from Saturday through Tuesday.
avatar
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2397
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : Chapala

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CanuckBob on Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am

The site I looked at is calling for a 60% to 90% chance of rain everyday until May 12 (which is as far as their outlook goes). If that is the case I would say the "rainy season" is underway regardless of which direction the storms come from.

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14744
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 55
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by brigitte on Thu May 03, 2018 7:57 am

tbeck the people at the hotel d not care if you get dengue or zika but you should care , once you get it you are more at risk to get it again and under a more dangerous form. If you do not have one get a fan that can blow on you , that prevent the mosquitoes from landing .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 3468
Join date : 2011-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CanuckBob on Thu May 03, 2018 8:58 am

I don't think you can "fumigate" a building for mosquitos. More would come back the next day. The best solution is screens, repellent, citronella plants, etc.. Hopefully the muni does a widespread fumigation of the whole area this year. That hotel must have had some standing water somewhere for them to be that bad.

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14744
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 55
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 am

caligirl108 wrote:DEETis the only thing that really works, and trust me, having had Zika (probable, as platelet count didn't drop as w Dengue) you really don't want any mosquito borne illness. DEET is only available as brought down by our Canadian friends.  But it is a life-saver. 103F fever for 5 days is really not fun.. Its the mosquitos with the striped legs to watch out for.  If you use essential oils on your body instead of perfume, it helps.. can be any of your choice - lavender, cedar wood, orange, patchouli .. no matter, all work.

Thank you. I will try that

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 am

brigitte wrote:tbeck  the people at the hotel d not care if you get dengue or zika but you should care , once you get it you are more at risk to get it again and under a more dangerous form.  If you do not have one get a fan that can blow on you , that prevent the mosquitoes from landing .

Yes, I'm using a fan but they bit my head when they couldn't land on my body -- too funny.

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:10 am

CanuckBob wrote:I don't think you can "fumigate" a building for mosquitos. More would come back the next day. The best solution is screens, repellent, citronella plants, etc.. Hopefully the muni does a widespread fumigation of the whole area this year. That hotel must have had some standing water somewhere for them to be that bad.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I haven't seen any but there must be. It's a very big place so it could be anywhere. Little tornado clouds of the buggers.

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by gringal on Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am

tbeck3579 wrote:
brigitte wrote:tbeck  the people at the hotel d not care if you get dengue or zika but you should care , once you get it you are more at risk to get it again and under a more dangerous form.  If you do not have one get a fan that can blow on you , that prevent the mosquitoes from landing .

Yes, I'm using a fan but they bit my head when they couldn't land on my body -- too funny.  

There's a product I'll recommend that has worked for me and my husband, and we're both bug magnets. It doesn't contain all the nasty chemicals of Deet that I, for one, don't feel like having absorbed into my skin: Fly-Out. Sold at Walmart, or it was last year. Soriana in Chapala always has it. Don't know about Superlake.

The fan suggestion is a good one, too.
When you move into your new home, wherever it is, be sure to check any standing water and treat with bleach regularly. Those skeeters are rapid breeders.
When you are bit, I recommend an OTC cream: Andatol... to relieve the itching.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 10223
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CanuckBob on Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

There is also what we call "bobos" at this time of year. They can be seen at dusk as huge swarms. They are attracted to water, light and white clothing. They don't bite but will get in your nose and mouth and just about everywhere else.

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14744
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 55
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by gringal on Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 am

CanuckBob wrote:There is also what we call "bobos" at this time of year. They can be seen at dusk as huge swarms. They are attracted to water, light and white clothing. They don't bite but will get in your nose and mouth and just about everywhere else.

If you want to be a good bobo assassin, the tennis racquet shaped bug zapper makes short work of them, as well as the skeeters. I got mine at the "everything" store across from the Ajijic plaza, south side. The rechargeable ones are nice to have.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 10223
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by SunshineyDay on Thu May 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Seems to me it was a case of beer?

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 950
Join date : 2012-12-02

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by tbeck3579 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 pm

gringal wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:There is also what we call "bobos" at this time of year. They can be seen at dusk as huge swarms. They are attracted to water, light and white clothing. They don't bite but will get in your nose and mouth and just about everywhere else.

If you want to be a good bobo assassin, the tennis racquet shaped bug zapper makes short work of them, as well as the skeeters.  I got mine at the "everything" store across from the Ajijic plaza, south side.  The rechargeable ones are nice to have.

Thanks. If I get minute (haha impossible at the moment) I will definitely look at those. I'm curious.

tbeck3579
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 65
Join date : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by caligirl108 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:40 pm

Thats why having a MOSQUITO NET is really more than practical advice..

As Brigette says, if you get Dengue a second time, it causes internal hemorrhaging.. very serious, a cascading event. More than a few elderly died 2 years ago, a bad spring-summer. Somehow, the virus causes the platelet count of your RBCs to deplete.. no clotting u bleed to death internally. Of course there is good news - after 1 episode of dengue, u are cross-immunized to Yellow Fever, if u ever go to Asia, u are basically vaccinated..

caligirl108
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 52
Join date : 2015-11-21

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by DaveP on Fri May 04, 2018 7:16 am

CanuckBob wrote:The site I looked at is calling for a 60% to 90% chance of rain everyday until May 12 (which is as far as their outlook goes). If that is the case I would say the "rainy season" is underway regardless of which direction the storms come from.

Let's not get into this again. If you had gone to a good school (in England) you would have been taught about the trade winds and their effect on World Weather Patterns. I am sorry that you were never given this basic level of education but it is never too late to learn, if you are so willing.
avatar
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 678
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : La Canacinta
Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by gringal on Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 am

DaveP wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:The site I looked at is calling for a 60% to 90% chance of rain everyday until May 12 (which is as far as their outlook goes). If that is the case I would say the "rainy season" is underway regardless of which direction the storms come from.

Let's not get into this again. If you had gone to a good school (in England) you would have been taught about the trade winds and their effect on World Weather Patterns. I am sorry that you were never given this basic level of education but it is never too late to learn, if you are so willing.

The problem, Dave, is the gap that exists between theory and reality.  No, it's not "supposed" to be the rainy season as yet, but here we are with the heavens opening and dumping the wet stuff upon us.  If it doesn't cut it out soon, we may need a new definition of what constitutes "the rainy season".  We may even need to call in our roofers in April, lest we be caught with our leaks down.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 10223
Join date : 2010-04-09
Location : Lake Chapala (from CA)
Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CanuckBob on Fri May 04, 2018 8:32 am

DaveP wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:The site I looked at is calling for a 60% to 90% chance of rain everyday until May 12 (which is as far as their outlook goes). If that is the case I would say the "rainy season" is underway regardless of which direction the storms come from.

Let's not get into this again. If you had gone to a good school (in England) you would have been taught about the trade winds and their effect on World Weather Patterns. I am sorry that you were never given this basic level of education but it is never too late to learn, if you are so willing.

Good schools in England??? Sounds like you should join a certain "legal team"........they could use your help.

Beer

_________________
Vacation Rentals
www.casadecomo.webs.com
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14744
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 55
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by DaveP on Fri May 04, 2018 8:55 am

It is a known fact that we English graduated from secondary school at 18 with an education level of about 1-11\2 years of university compared to North American schools. Sorry Bob but we were taught things that were never taught in North American schools. In fact all European schools were way ahead of North American schools at that time.
One of the things I did on arriving in Canada in 1967 was to tutor a grade 13 student in chemistry. I was appalled to find that a grade 13 exam was multiple choice (1 hour), whereas my equivalent exam for the same subject in England was 3x3 hour written exams plus a 3 hour lab exam. A total of 12 hours of exams for the one subject. I did 3 subjects for a total of 36 hours of exams to graduate. The written exams were all essay not multiple choice.


Last edited by DaveP on Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 678
Join date : 2010-04-05
Location : La Canacinta
Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by CHILLIN on Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 am

We have found, which works the best for mosquitoes, is lemon eucalyptus oil, purchased from Mercado Libre. It is the only natural repellent recommended by the U.S. health authorities (sorry, think it is CDC). I ambitiously grew a tree - then I saw how much leaves I would need to make an oil. The oil is produced in Australia and India. It has a wonderful smell - lemon with a hint of eucalyptus - of course! It is sold in the U.S.A. as "Repel" - very popular, but cannot ship by air.
http://www.hebebotanicals.co.nz/mosquito-repellents/
avatar
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1178
Join date : 2011-08-10

Back to top Go down

Re: thunder dark clouds

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum