INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

+12
sm1mex
Gamina
suegarn
doc holiday
ferret
ltollefs
CHILLIN
PoCo2012
Trailrunner
Carry Bean
Kiri
MexicoPete
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco Empty Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

Post by ferret Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Picked this up from San Pancho Life... Heads up! Too bad the four photos of animals in distress because of plastic didn't copy well.

Good news from Jalisco - Banning straws...

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico - Before the end of the current legislature, the State Congress intends to approve the bill to prohibit the use of straws, plastic bags and even Styrofoam throughout Jalisco, in order to stop the environmental damage caused by these products, especially to marine fauna.

With this measure, all municipalities must adapt their regulations before the end of the year to begin the ban from the first day of 2019, Citizen Movement Deputy Verónica Jiménez informed.

"What we are proposing is that the warnings and regulations be put into force as of January 1, 2019, and communicated throughout the year to make the public aware and socially conscientious, and beginning on January 1, 2020 violators will be fined."

The proposal arose from the initiative presented in Puerto Vallarta by city councilman Juan José Cuevas, based on the observations he had made about the indiscriminate use of straws in that tourist center.

The initiative will propose reforms to the State Law of Ecological Equilibrium and Protection of the Environment, as well as to the Law of Integral Waste Management.

This will generate some obligations for the State Government, such as promoting research and development of technologies and companies that replace plastic bags, straws and Styrofoam, said Jimenez. In addition, support programs should be created to promote the companies dedicated to the production of said products (provided they are biodegradable), to the recycling and reduction of these materials. They also have to generate awareness campaigns and create incentives for the general public to replace plastic bags, Styrofoam and straws with eco-friendly alternatives.

"This is very important because it is not just a question of prohibiting plastics, but also of generating incentives aimed at economic entities that substitute plastic bags, straw and Styrofoam for biodegradable products."

The responsibilities for the 125 municipalities are to regulate and sanction the use of these products, as well as to generate environmental education campaigns, agreements with companies that replace their plastics with biodegradable materials, monitor compliance with the prohibition and establish sanctions.

Jiménez explained that during 2019 stores will only be put on alert so that businessmen who have accumulated merchandise can use what is already stored in their warehouses during that time.

"We are going to issue warnings so that the use of these products is discouraged until the first of January of 2020, at which time whoever uses or sells them will be sanctioned and fined. What we want is for our municipalities to be free of these harmful contaminants."

Original article translated and edited by José Antonio Gonzalez for BanderasNews.com

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco Empty Re: Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

Post by MexicoPete Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 pm

That is great news. Several cities and/or counties are doing the same up North. They just became illegal in Seattle and Starbucks are starting a world wide effort to minimize the use of plastic.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco Empty Re: Banning Straws, Plastic Bags and Syrofoam Containers in Jalisco

Post by Kiri Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:32 pm

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/biodegradable-straws-from-avocado-seeds/
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Kiri wrote:https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/biodegradable-straws-from-avocado-seeds/

LOVE IT!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I already carry stainless steel straws in my purse and Panino’s has signs on the table saying you have to ask for a straw if you require one. I guess I will have to buy bags for the bathroom trash cans when this goes into effect.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Where can we buy paper bags for the trash cans?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:54 pm

I hope stores will start giving out paper instead of plastic and I would pay for them.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I refused a plastic bag at SL the other day and asked for paper, I had left my bags in the car, and the checker went to another cashier stand and took out a stack of paper bags and put my stuff in one.

Where can I buy them?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:26 pm

I would ask at Tony's Take Out because they've been using paper bags and non styrofoam containers for the chicken and ribs for a while now. I don't even mind taking in my own Rubbermaid containers for coleslaw etc.
If we're not part of the solution, we're part of the problem.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Might be a good business venture for somebody, being a distributor for eco-friendly disposables.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Could be. But I don't wanna be called a bag lady. ;)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by PoCo2012 Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:22 pm

ferret wrote:Could be. But I don't wanna be called a bag lady. ;)

lol! lol!
PoCo2012
PoCo2012
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:14 am

Trailrunner wrote:Might be a good business venture for somebody, being a distributor for eco-friendly disposables.

The money making opportunity is a waste paper molding. Inexpensive machinery from Taiwan. Many years ago I wanted to bring one in to make "pizza pods" round paper boxes, specially designed for pizza. Now I see paper molded packaging in a lot of high tech products. Short runs, fast custom mold making abilities - I know how do that. Too bad I am retired! Beer

http://eggtraymachines.net/paper-egg-carton-making-machine/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

As my wife does, just sew-up half a dozen cloth bags and throw them in the trunk. Why look to others for a simple fix to a simple problem, a little DIY goes a long way.

ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:20 am

@Itollefs. Does she use them to put garbage in and then throw them out?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by doc holiday Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm

I think it is great they had the guts to pass the law.

doc holiday
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 pm

We also need companies to get on board with this, and quit selling items in plastic, especially those things that don't need extra packaging. I absolutely hate buying batteries or other electronics that come in those indestructible plastic casings! That type of plastic has got to be the worst offender for not decomposing, and not having any other uses. At least plastic bags can be reused!

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Another interesting article on this topic.......https://mashable.com/2018/07/18/plastic-straw-ban-guide/#xFDDfIOpmaqs

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamina Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 pm

If we had plastic bags made out of material that would disintegrate over time, we could use it for waste paper and garbage liners.
Gamina
Gamina
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:00 am

Maybe with the new restrictions businesses and entrepreneurs will step up to the plate and start manufacturing biodegradable 'plastics'.  Meanwhile, I will continue to do my best to eliminate them from my life but I really need an alternative for garbage and fridge storage for produce.

If anyone finds one of those 'disposable' stores that sell paper products instead of plastic and Styrofoam, please post!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 am

We use cloth bags for all shopping and take our own Tupperware container for left overs in a restaurant. Every little bit helps. We also recycle in our designated bins for garbage pick up. Metal, plastic and paper. Help save the planet and animals in the lake and ocean.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:43 am

What do you put your household, non-recyclable, garbage in for pickup?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:39 am

Unfortunately plastic bags. Trying to use papers bags, the bottom would drop and and mess all in the trash can or on the floor or in the casita basura.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 am

In Canada, they sold large garden-size paper bags for people to put their raked leaves into. I wonder if there is somewhere down here that sells those same type of bags? You could put your non-recyclable garbage into them for pickup! The biggest problem with that, of course, would be if they got wet they'd just become a huge mess on the street.

There definitely is no easy solution for the plastic problem. The best we can do is to minimize purchasing or using anything in plastic, recycle, and reuse when possible.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sm1mex Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:54 am

Right. Paper garbage bags would get messy from left over food scrapes.

sm1mex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next