INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator

3 posters

Go down

Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator Empty Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator

Post by Globe_Traveler Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am

Hello,

My wife and I just got back to our casa and we noticed that the electric motor of the under-sink garbage disposal (brand "In-Sink-erator") hums and then the breaker kicks out. I check for electricity and there is 110VAC. It had not been used a lot over the years by the previous owner.

Any recommendation where I can get an electric motor repaired/checked-out?

Thanks.

Globe_Traveler

Back to top Go down

Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator Empty Re: Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator

Post by ltollefs Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Is the motor actually spinning? If not, it is likely just jammed with something. Shut off the breaker and attempt to turn the blades of the device in the opposite direction to it's normal spin to try to dislodge whatever may be in there (a broom handle works well here). If the motor is spinning and popping the breaker, call The Home Doctor @ (387) 763-1200. The gentleman's name is Alberto Farias. We've availed ourselves of his services in the past and were always happy with the results and the price.

He speaks perfect English.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator Empty Re: Repair of under-sink garbage disposal/macerator

Post by Globe_Traveler Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Great feedback!

The motor was not spinning, just kept on blowing the fuse, so I disconnected it from the outlet.

Next I put together my sockets (13mm plus extensions) and turned the shaft this way and the other way to make sure nothing was binding. All was loose.

Plugged it in and turned it on!

Voila - it is working again.

THANK YOU.

mariachi

PS Just love Mondays when things start working again.

Globe_Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:53 pm

In sink erator disposals were designed to be freed with an allen wrench. The motor shaft at the bottom side of the disposal is designed to accept an allen wrench. So from underneath the In sink erator, you just need to pop in the right size allen wrench into the end of the motor shaft and give it a sharp jolt. That usually will free up the motor.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down