INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car insurance

+2
MexicoPete
DeborahM
6 posters

Go down

Car insurance Empty Car insurance

Post by DeborahM Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:58 am

I need to know if anybody has personal experience purchasing vehicle insurance WITH hit and run coverage. TWO recent hit and runs left me with 30,000 pesos worth of uninsured damage.

The damage has been expertly repaired (by Robert's Collision in Riberas), but I'm worried about future accidents. Hit-and-runs seem to be uninsurable here. :(

I had been advised by a couple of folks that O'Rourke's offered a hit and run add-on rider. I went in for a quote and was told that their ''rider'' costs 250 pesos, and if you sustain hit and run damage, they ''offer 250 pesos towards repair, as a courtesy to people who want it.'' Well, that's not ''coverage'' in any way that I interpret. I have visited several other vehicle insurance agencies as well, not a single one offers this insurance. :(

SO...disappointed... and back to the search.

Grateful for ANY leads. :)

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Car insurance Empty Re: Car insurance

Post by MexicoPete Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:04 am

Gosh, DeborahM, I sure hope you are wrong. I won't be back in Mexico for a few weeks, but the second I do, I will go to my auto insurance agent and ask her whether I am covered for hit and run.

I have never checked because I always assumed that there would be hit and run coverage, when you get what I thought was the full package.

Again, I sure hope you are wrong. :)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 am

Deb, when you say hit and run, do you mean being hit in an accident while driving and the other driver takes off or hit in a parking lot and broke a taillight kinda thing?

30,000 sounds like a lot of damage. I was recently hit while parked in front of my house by a neighbor and it displaced and disconnected the bumper. I had all that fixed and all the little dings that had accumulated plus some paint touch ups at the auto body across from Maskaras for a total of 2000 pesos.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiri Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:10 pm

In my case I was rear ended and shot 100 meters forward. I submitted the plate # to the police and insurance company. Not their problem. You pay the deductible... was the response! My medical bills too...
Kiri
Kiri
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Wouldn't that fall under "uninsured motorist"? Or is that a waste of money too?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DeborahM Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Trailrunner wrote:Deb, when you say hit and run, do you mean being hit in an accident while driving and the other driver takes off or hit in a parking lot and broke a taillight kinda thing?

30,000 sounds like a lot of damage. I was recently hit while parked in front of my house by a neighbor and it displaced and disconnected the bumper. I had all that fixed and all the little dings that had accumulated plus some paint touch ups at the auto body across from Maskaras for a total of 2000 pesos.

Both episodes involved being hit while my car was parked...once outside my house and once elsewhere. The damage from the first resulted in my rear passenger door having to be replaced. The second involved extensive damage to the OTHER side of my car, from the front quarter panel, all the way down the length of the car.

Four quotes from different auto body shops ranged from 26000 to 30000 pesos. I was actually able to get all the body work done...and done WELL...at half that cost, at Robert's in Riberas, near Orma Auto Parts.

This has been such a frustrating experience, as I have always paid full coverage with low deductible, and ''assumed'' that I was well covered for hit and run. It's a cautionary tale I suppose.

I have now visited four insurance agencies...still searching.

Truly folks, please verify your policy specifically for hit and run coverage. Don't assume that you ''automatically'' have it in your full service policy. :(

DeborahM

Back to top Go down

Post by lakeside7 Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 pm

It would be helpful for a local insurance broker to chime in and provide "accurate" information.

lakeside7
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm

And whom might that be?
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Trailrunner wrote:And whom might that be?

Which one?
Aren't they all members of this board.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:56 am

I'm sure they are! Or at least I'm certain they read and follow our every word!
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum