INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New TELCEL internet anyone using it?

5 posters

Go down

New TELCEL internet anyone using it? Empty New TELCEL internet anyone using it?

Post by simpsca Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Is anyone using the new TELCEL internet modem? Looking for comments if you like it or not. I'm sick of Telex internet.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

New TELCEL internet anyone using it? Empty Re: New TELCEL internet anyone using it?

Post by merry Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:10 am

Yes, I got it a few weeks ago as a backup while my Telecable saga dragged on. 199 pesos a month, it's called Internet en Tu Casa. It's been reliable. Easy setup - just plug it in, open a browser and enter the password. Note the service is not portable; once you open it up and enter the password that is Tu Casa, you cannot move the modem to another cell tower without notifying them.

The contract is for two years and you pay a couple months up front, plus the cost of the modem about 2,000-ish pesos. There is also a 349 a month plan but I will wait to see if that's necessary.

I've seen no hiccups even streaming Netflix. I would recommend this as a backup system for anyone who works online and needs complete connectivity. It may even be good as a primary internet, I've not used it long enough to be sure.

Note Telcel vendors appear to compete against each other, they will not support a system you buy at another Telcel outlet. So you must buy from the one you want to use for service. The favorite among English-speaking expats is next to Plaza Bugambilias and a couple doors from Alex's Pasta. I think Maria is the name of the manager who speaks excellent English. She has a reputation for excellent support and service.

If you live in Chapala, her store is affiliated with the Telcel at Flavio Romero 443-2. I purchased from Maria in Ajijic, but picked it up and paid in Chapala. Adriana is the manager, she does not speak English but her Spanish is clear and easily understood.

I will pass along the local wisdom to avoid the huge Telcel office at Centro Laguna at all costs. I spent a couple of fruitless hours there at first attempting to get service before I gave up and found out about Maria.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New TELCEL internet anyone using it? Empty Re: New TELCEL internet anyone using it?

Post by Trailrunner Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:22 am

Her name is Ana Maria Romero and her # is 333 115 5518. She's very good at solving problems.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks so much. I went to the one next to Alex Pasta bar but she wasn't in that day. I'll try again.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by mexbound Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 am

Does the modem/device you get have ports to plug in a network cable? In other words, is the device just WI-FI or does it also have network ports. I'm asking because my desktop computer does not have wifi.

mexbound

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am

I’ll have to check when I get home - im almost positive it does.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Yes it looks like 2 LAN ports and a POTS port.

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mexbound Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for the info Merry!

mexbound

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Mexbound it does not sound like you need wifi for this device but in the future if you need wifi capabilities for your desktop, one can easily and inexpensively add a wifi card to most all of them.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down