INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time?

+10
CanuckBob
Bandol
Rosa Venus
cypress
Carry Bean
Sherman
gringal
brigitte
MexicoPete
ferret
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time? Empty Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time?

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:59 pm

It seems Lakeside that there are brokers agents. Is it a conflict of interest to be a broker and an agent at the same time? And, in general, what is the role of the broker in a real estate firm?

Cheers, ...... inquiring minds.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time? Empty Re: Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time?

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm

There is no regulation of real estate agencies, brokers or salespeople in Mexico. Therefore, there is no licensing, and no requirement for continuing education, etc., as in the USA, for example.
So, their roles, in Mexico, are whatever they choose them to be. Caveat Emptor.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time? Empty Re: Lakeside, is is a conflict of interest for one person to be the broker in a real estate company and a sales person (agent) at the same time?

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 pm

BUYR BEWARE!

GOT IT.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:26 pm

So, is there any criterion or way to screen a real estate company, broker, or agent .....
for honesty, integrity, knowledge, experience (not just the # of years), effectiveness in working on behalf of their client (buyer or seller). If you just ask the agent or broker, they often lie ... so I already know that does not work. Other ideas?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:51 pm

You ask around for references of good experiences.
And, FYI, in Canada a broker can also be the sales agent. Been there, done that when I sold my mum's condo in 2002.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:55 pm

I thought that a broker who can have agents working for him, could work alone and also sell property in the US be he in business by himself or have multiple agents working for him.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:06 pm

It does not matter there are no rules so you can be an agent, a broker or whatever you chose to call yourself--

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:23 pm

So you can have an ignorant agent, then decide to become an 'ignorant' broker by just have the energy to change the letterhead? If that's the case, I have found such a person.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Just as there are no "rules" re the above issues and there are no mandatory "disclosures" required, just assume it's the Wild West and watch your back with real estate folks.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:57 pm

gringal wrote:Just as there are no "rules" re the above issues and there are no mandatory "disclosures" required, just assume it's the Wild West and watch your back with real estate folks.
Understatement ......

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:19 pm

I have a story to tell, but not tonight!

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:35 pm

In the meantime, I'm wondering if there are at least 3 brokers and 3 agents that people respect for their knowledge, integrity and working hard and honestly on behalf of their client - seller or purchaser and who they would be glad to recommend ..... ??

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Derek Trevethan at Ajijic Realty.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Most of the real estate companies here are just local, one branch operations that someone has thought up. The exception are Coldwell Banker and Century 21. They should be more professional and know how things should be done properly.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 pm

DISCLOSURE: I work in Real Estate.

FACT: Good real estate agents in our area "qualify" potential clients just like potential buyers and sellers need to "qualify" real estate agents. It works both ways.

Good luck, Sherman.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandol Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:00 am

Second Derek Trevethan at Ajijic Realty.

Bandol
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 am

Someone has mentioned to me Bettina at Coldwell Banker? I have forgotten if that's the first or last name.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by cypress Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 am

Sherman wrote:Someone has mentioned to me Bettina at Coldwell Banker?  I have forgotten if that's the first or last name.
First name.

cypress
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 am

Bettina Bering usually takes out around 5 pages in the local real estate mag. She used to work as a rep for a solar systems company and arranged our system installation. Very personable lady and a hard worker. She seems to specialize in higher end properties.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 am

Filing a complaint (I'm meaning, in general) or any recourse on inappropriate business practices?  I'm assuming there is no way to file a complaint... with a person or a particular place ... no head of the realty group? No membership organization? Nothing?  Correct?

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:16 am

gringal wrote:Bettina Bering usually takes out around 5 pages in the local real estate mag.  She used to work as a rep for a solar systems company and arranged our system installation.  Very personable lady and a hard worker.  She seems to specialize in higher end properties.

I don't know her .... but was aware of the solar company. Did not know it was the same person.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am

BTW, Bettina Bering does both... quotes on solar installation and real estate. She is incredibly efficient.

That said, absolutely no one (not even a home inspector) can see through concrete nor see salitre if the walls have been freshly scraped and painted.
There is a new house, just built, close by... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Very shoddily built... but it's pretty.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 am

Rosa Venus wrote:
DISCLOSURE: I work in Real Estate.

FACT: Good real estate agents in our area "qualify" potential clients just like potential buyers and sellers need to "qualify" real estate agents. It works both ways.

Good luck, Sherman.

I appreciate your post .... People lie, cheat and misrepresent on all sides. So, screening clients is appropriate as far as I'm concerned. Up north, clients are often screened for afordability of housing or ability to get a loan, etc. I had a consulting practice of my own for a long time .... and at times, I turned clients down because I did not want to represent them or referred them to someone else if that was appropriate.

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 am

There are also clients who want to list their property for way above what it is worth. The property sits on the market for years. This does not look good on the agent nor help the industry. I often wonder why agents take such listings.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:53 pm

[quote="CanuckBob"]There are also clients who want to list their property for way above what it is worth. The property sits on the market for years. This does not look good on the agent nor help the industry. I often wonder why agents take such listings.[/quote

When I first listed my house, there was a client at Ajijic Realty that had been -- for months and months -- asking to see houses that were way over the amount she wanted to pay. So, the agent keep taking her. And, in a few cases, she 'bid' on a house .... maybe out of 30 houses, she bid on 3 and would low-ball the amount so much that there was no chance the seller would even entertain the bid. I guess I should have been impressed that she liked my house so much to give one of these bids and 'wasted' my time and energy at a 'sit-down' meeting to present 'the offer'' I got up and left. In the US, the agent would have told the buyer that she was wasting everyone's time and the buyer would have found a way to graciously refer the client onto another 'lucky' agent.

Then to help matters along, the broker/agent I wound up with patted herself on the back because of 'how well' she did in getting above the offer mentioned above (about $70,000US lower than asking price) .... without knowing any of the circumstances.

Someone posted about watching their back ..... impossible here!

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next