INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eat your yogurt!

+6
CheenaGringo
sparks
gringal
hockables
Chapalagringa
ferret
10 posters

Go down

Eat your yogurt! Empty Eat your yogurt!

Post by ferret Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:57 pm

http://www.healthzone.ca/health/mindmood/mentalhealth/article/1047680---good-bacteria-may-improve-mood-study-suggests

I've always hated the thought of taking antibiotics although I know they are sometimes necessary.

Antibiotics, besides killing the bad bacteria, also wipe out the good normal flora of the intestinal tract.

Since my hubby is on a 14 day regime of antibiotics post surgery, I've been making sure he is eating yogurt at least twice a day to counter the effects of the antibiotics and replenish the "good" bacteria.

Now, after reading the above article, there is another reason to eat yogurt regularly.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Eat your yogurt! Empty Re: Eat your yogurt!

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:32 pm

yup, it builds your good flora. We go through several containers a week. Several meaning 5-6 and sometimes more. The health food store across the street from Bugambilias Plaza/El Toritos store carries unsweetened homemade natural yogurt. I don't like preservatives. It's also easy to make. I should figure out how to make larger batches being that my little yogurt maker has a hard time keeping up with our demand.

If your blessed enough not to have to take meds, fresh crushed garlic is a healthy alternative to antibiotics and doesn't kill the goodins. Very Happy
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Twisted Evil plenty of bacteria in your average roadkill... and they're cheaper... probably taste the same though...

Rolling Eyes honey is natures antibiotic... garlic & vinegar are cleansers
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Hocks, roadkill would have the wrong kind of bacteria...looking for lactobacillus only.

........and the honey is on the toast or the cereal every morning...real honey...not pasteurized.

Chapalagringa...thanks for the tip about natural yogurt in the place opposite El Torito
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 pm

You can also buy it in SuperLake but I do like the health food store better.

Want to know how much raw honey we buy a year???????? GALLONS!!!! Now you're gonna get me started. I call honey, God food. It's marvelous!!! You can eat honey if your sick but not sugar. Sugar breaks down your immune system while honey boosts it. 1-2 TBS honey keeps allergies away as it acts as a vaccine! Honey is also a natural cough suppressant.

People get tummy bugs from what they eat down here. Eat 3 cloves of crushed raw garlic, only 1 if it's spicy. That'll wipe most of those babies out! Orrrrrr 15-25 drops of grapefruit seed extract.

We buy Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar at SuperLake(it's imported). Gotta great kidney/overall inners cleanse. 2 TBLS ACV + 1 TBS honey + 1 cup purified water room temp. Drink it down w/in a minute. I'm giving ACV & raw honey to one of my dogs that suffers w/bladder stones. ACV soothes nausea.

One of my favorite websites is World's Healthiest Foods: http://www.whfoods.com/ Love studying about whole foods and natural alternatives. Like how to make licorice root tea if you didn't knock that cold out at onset w/garlic.

Wish I could recall everything that I learn. I start incorporating, forget why and have to relearn why I was doing it. Even act surprised. lol This last week was looking up what foods have biotin in them. Then was like, duh, after I read the list of foods and remembered why I have swiss chard seeds to plant in my garden. :)

Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 am

Short and sweet: Be sure the honey you buy is local, untreated honey. What you want is the stuff the bees ingest from all the things to which we have allergic reactions....the local flora.
If you're been reduced to taking Allegra for allergies.........try the "spoonful of honey" daily. Takes about 6 months to get the effect, but it cheaper than the pills, so be patient. Works for everyone I know who's tried it.
Plus, no nasty side effects.
There's a fella at the farmers market selling it. Heard they have it at El Torito, but not sure it's the real deal. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 am

Might try Yakult for lactobacillus or a number of other brands. That's their sole purpose in life. Alpura is the best big store yogurt with no sugar and fewer additives

Back in the hippie days we made our own yogurt with powdered milk in a big pot. Bring it not quite to a boil and drop in your culture. Covered with a damp towel at room temp for how many hours. Our was always a little thin but after it's in the fridge awhile you can put it thru cheese cloth. We used Nancy's unsweetened from the Springfield Creamery as a starter.
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:52 am

We buy raw honey by the 5 gallon buckets. 6 buckets this year and I'm concerned there won't be enough to last through the holidays. January is the time my bee keeper harvests it, at least the good stuff. It took much less time than 6 months to work for us...maybe a month or so.

I know allot of people use Alpura and I can't figure out why they aren't buying it from the health food store?
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 pm

From Melaque the closest health food store is in Colima. Not even in Manzanillo unless you call that place in Walmart that sells "health" pills.

Down here the cure all is coco milk
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 pm

sparks wrote:From Melaque the closest health food store is in Colima. Not even in Manzanillo unless you call that place in Walmart that sells "health" pills.

Down here the cure all is coco milk

I'm referring to those that live here...you moved away! Now all you get is coco! LOTS of coco! How's your house? I never even met you while you were here. "health" pills? Evil or Very Mad put the lime in the coconut and shake it all about Beer
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Try tolerating that when your first drunk (5th grade) was drinking fermented coconut milk and you hugged the toilet for hours!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

ahahahaha!!! That's horrible!!! I think that's one reason getting drunk doesn't sound appealing to me. Besides that, a little bit goes a long why in my system. I'd take a nap after a few sips.
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by wilsonjohn Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Really horrible.

wilsonjohn

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:36 pm

A friend's husband suffered from kidney stones. She found out about Chanca Piedra (South American Stonebreaker) and Wa lah!! Gone like magic. Tried it on a cat who was peeing blood...cystitus...nuetered waaay to early by a shelter.... By the next day..no blood...by the day after...no sign of anything. My husband had been having horrible stomache pains already had his gall bladder out but the pain was similar. I let the docs give it a go for a couple of weeks with no progress whatsoever. Then I kicked that crap out of his diet and put him on yoghurt and Chanca Piedra. It was almost instant..pain gone and so far hasn't returned. Great stuff and not expensive.

I was just re-excited about Diamotaceous Earth. The sweetest hound dog (no not bubba) was dropped here. I found a rescue to take her if I fostered her till she had a family. No problem...she's adorable. I took her in for her shots, vaccine and spaying...turns out she has heart worms so the choice was put her down or I keep her for two months to kill the nasty critters ( oh yeah.like that's really a choice!)....so no spay for now. But the heart worms were the ONLY worms he found in her system. I'd put a teaspoon of DE in some canned dog food the day I took her in. Love it when I know for sure that something works. Of course I found something the vet didn't. When I walked in the door after being in the hospital for two days...Ladybelle met me at the door with her usual full tooth grin, followed by the Elvis lip curl which is absolutely hysterical..then showed me her tummy (pretty sure that was a ploy is her campaign to be allowed to sleep with us...she has her own futon!)...either that girl has swollowed a water melon or she's preggers. So now, no heart worm treatment till after the babies are born...of course I have to keep her till they're weaned...and then go after the heartworm. Now the big question is how am I going to give up this Southern Bell after having her for four or five months! I thought this was a one week thing and then she'd be off to her new home in Maryland.

Chapalagringa wrote:You can also buy it in SuperLake but I do like the health food store better.

Want to know how much raw honey we buy a year???????? GALLONS!!!! Now you're gonna get me started. I call honey, God food. It's marvelous!!! You can eat honey if your sick but not sugar. Sugar breaks down your immune system while honey boosts it. 1-2 TBS honey keeps allergies away as it acts as a vaccine! Honey is also a natural cough suppressant.

People get tummy bugs from what they eat down here. Eat 3 cloves of crushed raw garlic, only 1 if it's spicy. That'll wipe most of those babies out! Orrrrrr 15-25 drops of grapefruit seed extract.

We buy Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar at SuperLake(it's imported). Gotta great kidney/overall inners cleanse. 2 TBLS ACV + 1 TBS honey + 1 cup purified water room temp. Drink it down w/in a minute. I'm giving ACV & raw honey to one of my dogs that suffers w/bladder stones. ACV soothes nausea.

One of my favorite websites is World's Healthiest Foods: http://www.whfoods.com/ Love studying about whole foods and natural alternatives. Like how to make licorice root tea if you didn't knock that cold out at onset w/garlic.

Wish I could recall everything that I learn. I start incorporating, forget why and have to relearn why I was doing it. Even act surprised. lol This last week was looking up what foods have biotin in them. Then was like, duh, after I read the list of foods and remembered why I have swiss chard seeds to plant in my garden. :)

kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:20 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Try tolerating that when your first drunk (5th grade) was drinking fermented coconut milk and you hugged the toilet for hours!

Are you talking about “Tuba” (palm wine)? Mean stuff. Beer

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Parker wrote:

Maybe if you have some personal home brew method .... but the stuff they sell on the streets in Colima is just refreshing

Beer
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:08 pm

sparks wrote:
Parker wrote:

Maybe if you have some personal home brew method .... but the stuff they sell on the streets in Colima is just refreshing

Beer

Yes, where we’re from it’s all “Home brew”. Beer

P.S. It’s made from the sap of the palm, not the nut its self.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Chapalagringa wrote:We buy raw honey by the 5 gallon buckets. 6 buckets this year and I'm concerned there won't be enough to last through the holidays. January is the time my bee keeper harvests it, at least the good stuff. It took much less time than 6 months to work for us...maybe a month or so.

I know allot of people use Alpura and I can't figure out why they aren't buying it from the health food store?

C. Where do you buy your honey? I don't need as much as you are buying but I'd like to get the pure local stuff. Is the tianguis a good place or some local store in Chapala?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Some people we know are caretakers of land across the lake. The land is lent out to a bee keeper who also has bees on Mt Colima. In Jan he'll harvest the "good stuff" and we'll make a deposit into his account and our friends will bring it to my husband's work. Maybe this year we could buy an extra bucket, if my hubby will let me, and friends can bring me a quart jar and they can buy it off of me? There's a few others, like you, they like the raw but don't use as much as we do. In fact, I don't know anyone like us :) probably what makes me so sweet. XD
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:01 pm

I love raw honey - can't consume as much as you do, but if hubby lets you I would love to buy some when it's ready. My grandfather in the mountains in California raised his own bees and that's the best honey I've ever had in my life - we used to take it back to the east coast US where we lived and the neighborhood kids would line up to get a spoon full.

So when you go for a new harvest and hubby is willing I'll give you a new clean small plastic bucket to fill and will be happy to pay for your gas to go there.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 pm

We have to buy it by the 5 gallon bucket. It's delivered to us.
These are my notes:

Honey Cost: 5 gallons of raw honey w/bucket $1150 pesos(2 yrs ago)

1200 pesos 5 gallon buckets $100 each(last Jan we exchanged buckets)

The price has changed a little over the past couple of years. He sells by weight because the buckets aren't completely full.

I'll do my best to get some extra but I can't promise because it's our friends who are doing us a favor already and I don't want to push it. Hopefully we can!
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down