INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescriptions

+4
viajero
gringal
David
SunsetKid
8 posters

Go down

Prescriptions Empty Prescriptions

Post by SunsetKid Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Where is the cheapest place to get meds. Just paid 140 usd for meds that cost me 30 usd nob.
SunsetKid
SunsetKid
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Bill Maher/Chevy Chase/Life in general

Back to top Go down

Prescriptions Empty Re: Prescriptions

Post by David Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:08 pm

I like Farmacia Express II. East of SuperLake just before Hole in One. If they're branded drugs and not available in generic they'll be costly in MX.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

If you can get what you need, the Walmart Pharmacy in the back has better prices on many drugs.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:21 pm

True enough and I use Walmart for some generics. They have their own "house" brand. Problem is that they don't have everything in their own brand and the other generics they carry are more expensive than Farmacia Express II. I learned that the hard way. So you've got to shop and compare. It was so much easier when we took illicit drugs. There was no shopping, no generics, and so much intrigue!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:30 pm

I recently read that Costco has a company policy of providing meds at just a little over cost,I have'nt tried to verify it.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Chris:

While neither of us takes any prescription drugs here NOB, we have plenty of friends that have found your statement to be true and besides, they are very complimentary over the way that they are treated at the Costco Pharmacy as opposed to some of the alternatives. Not long ago, there was a survey conducted which compared Costco, Sam's, Sears, Macys, JCP, Bloomindales and all of the major retailers for both their physical stores and their online stores. Costco came out on top in both their physical stores and online store.

That said, it may be slightly different in Mexico since it is a joint ownership between Costco and a Mexican Corp?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 pm

From what I understand you don't need to be a member to use their pharmacy,I've been a Costco customer for over 20 years,they seem to have a pretty good company philosphy and I'm glad they're in here in GDL.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:24 pm

SunsetKid wrote:Where is the cheapest place to get meds. Just paid 140 usd for meds that cost me 30 usd nob.

First, there is NO cheapest place as the drug costs will vary from Pharmacy to Pharmacy. This has been my experience on my Epilepsy drugs, one of which is super expensive.

Costco is cheapest on my meds - 60 Depakene $ 421.90 -- Farmacia GDL & La Cristina $ 461.70. Doesn't seem like a lot, $ 40. pesos more than Costco, but when you take 6 boxes a month, it's $ 240. pesos more or $ 2,880. pesos a year difference between Costco and the other two Pharmacies. Walmart has to special order this med, don't know the price and Walmart is always out of meds.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:45 pm

One other bit of info, even if the med you take is not generic yet, there are sales on medicines where you can stock up. Right now Symbicort is on sale in Farmacia Guadalajara - almost 200 pesos cheaper than anywhere else and it's not available in generic. Earlier this year I got Celebrex 200 mg which is normally 1,200 pesos on sale at CARE farmacia - the new one in West Ajijic for 620 pesos. They have signs on the front of the farmacia with the sale prices listed and what is on sale changes from time to time.

Another bit of trivial medical info - tests like an MRI go on sale at various clinics. I needed one of the spine and called several clinics that were listed with my medical insurer and one said - we are having a special price now - and it was more than 1,000 pesos cheaper than the other clinics and my doctor said it is one of the best at MRIs.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:27 am

Since it is well documented that there are plenty of counterfeit drugs flowing into the Mexican marketplace, I have to question just how smart it is to be running from one pharmacy to another chasing the price? Maybe a poor assumption but purchasing meds from a known entity like Costco, Farmacia Guadalajara or one of the other big names would seem to be prudent?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:15 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Since it is well documented that there are plenty of counterfeit drugs flowing into the Mexican marketplace, I have to question just how smart it is to be running from one pharmacy to another chasing the price? Maybe a poor assumption but purchasing meds from a known entity like Costco, Farmacia Guadalajara or one of the other big names would seem to be prudent?

What an excellent question. One thing is to understand what a companies packaging looks like. Most fakes are not perfect this way. Many drug companies have information
on counterfits on there websites. I know for a fact that there are adulterated, out of date repackaged, fake, drugs down here. Do your homework, if you don't try Costco
or one of the other too big to cheap places like Guad Pharmacy but even than some fakes are very clever so check things out.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 am

CG - I totally agree about possible counterfeit drugs.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Since SunsetKid started exactly the same topic on TOB, I read all of the responses (17 at last count). Not a single person responding ever mentioned the possibility that counterfeit or adulterated drugs are out there in the marketplace. I guess the "head in the sand concept" works for prescription drugs too? According to an article I read today on one of the online Guadalajara newspapers, 6 out of 10 articles of brand name clothing sold in the Guadalajara markets were counterfeit - so what might one's conclusion be with respect to prescription drugs in the multitude of pharmacies that crop up everywhere? Any possibility that the cartels might be involved in this enterprise along with their other business ventures?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down