INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar?

+4
Irish Gal
gringal
hockables
drmike
8 posters

Go down

Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar? Empty Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar?

Post by drmike Wed May 09, 2012 12:13 pm

Splenda had become a well know substitute for sugar. It is advertised as made from sugar, so it is like sugar only without the dangers of sugar. What the don't tell you is it is unnatural and is made be adding chlorine to the mixture. It is no safer than aspartame. It comes with a list of side effects as noted in this article.

I still say the safest sugar substitute is saccharin (Sweet and Low). If you use Splenda and are interested in finding out more about it. please read this article:

drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar? Empty Re: Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar?

Post by hockables Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Someone told me Agave Syrup is used by Diabetics...

any truth to that?

As for the other stuff.... If it comes from a Test Tube... I'm not interested.... don't care if its been deemed safe or not!!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar? Empty Re: Is Splenda a safe substitute for sugar?

Post by drmike Wed May 09, 2012 12:36 pm

I had always thought that agave syrup was good for you, in fact I even used it, but I found a research paper which said it was mainly fructose which is not so good for you. My advice is if you like it, use it. It doesn't have added chemicals in it like aspartame and Splenda. Don't ever use Aspartame or Splenda, though.

email address for the article on Splenda:

http://naturalsociety.com/is-splenda-safe-examining-dangers-sugar-alternative/#ixzz1twpJc93l
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 09, 2012 2:15 pm

...and then there's the ultimate solution. Lose the taste for sugar in your java or tea.

Dr. Mike may disagree, but IMHO, if you cut down on the sweetener and just put a little real sugar in your cup.....and don't drink a lot of cups......it probably will do less harm than the substitutes.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 09, 2012 2:32 pm

gringal wrote:...and then there's the ultimate solution. Lose the taste for sugar in your java or tea.

Dr. Mike may disagree, but IMHO, if you cut down on the sweetener and just put a little real sugar in your cup.....and don't drink a lot of cups......it probably will do less harm than the substitutes.

With your Tea.... Try some Brandy... another form of Sugar... Coffee... Irish Creme...
Aaahhh..... lifes little pleasures...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

A touch 'a brandy in your tea would go well with an chilly Irish morning.
Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I use stevia. Any thoughts on that?

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Irish Gal wrote:I use stevia. Any thoughts on that?

scratch Uhhh Nope
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by itsme Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Yeah, I am interested in facts re stevia also.

itsme
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed May 09, 2012 5:17 pm

itsme wrote:Yeah, I am interested in facts re stevia also.

try GOOGLE
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 am

Stevia is a great alternative, I forgot to mention that. It is all natural, sweeter than sugar, does not raise your blood sugar and you can bake with it. In Medical School I would buy a large container of Stevia and use it. Now the ones I see in the store are not large containers but, I think, in packets.

Yes you can use Stevia without any concerns about side effects.

Thanks for the correction.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by frkshnwa Thu May 10, 2012 11:54 am

Stevia is available NOB in large containers at Walmart, Safeway & Fred Myers and health food stores. Sold under a couple of different brand names. We have not been able to find it in Ajijic or Guadalajara yet but we have found the individual serving packs.
frkshnwa
frkshnwa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Location : Ajijic, Jalisco & Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico (From Washington State)

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 am

How about honey?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri May 11, 2012 9:36 pm

I think honey is a great natural sweetener.
I would like Dr. Mike's opinion though...and also about "store brand" stevia which is white and not green. How did they make it white? Stevia (natural green powder) made into a paste helps to heal cuts and abrasions.
BTW, the Japanese have been using Stevia as a sweetener in their diet soft drinks for quite a while now...it is MUCH sweeter than sugar so they need less. The FDA has prohibited the use of Stevia for the same purpose because the producers of Aspartame hold their purse strings. (follow the money).
Most of the above info is available on google
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Mon May 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Honey has a higher amount of fructose than either sucrose or glucose. It is process through the liver. If you eat too much it can over whelm the liver which will then store it as triglycerides. That being said, I do not think honey is bad for you in small quantities. It is safer than sugar and aspartame and Splenda.

Go ahead and enjoy your honey. It has many vitamins and minerals in it that your body needs. Read the following article for more information:

Read the following article for more information:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/fructosedangers.htm

Natural Stevia is a green powder and has a slightly "herby" taste. The white Stevia has been processed to eliminate that. Since Stevia does not raise blood sugar and has many other attributes I think the white powder Stevia is fine.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down