INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure

+14
Parker
Irish Gal
Flamingo
ferret
E-raq
seisdedos
hockables
gringal
Grizzy
bobnliz
simpsca
espíritu del lago
Zedinmexico
drmike
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure - Page 2 Empty Re: Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure

Post by ferret Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Agua frescas really are the best solution. I also like iced tea...natural...properly made hot tea poured over ice cubes. The best iced tea I've had at a restaurant is served at Panino's...big glass with one envelope of Splenda and a slice of lime.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure - Page 2 Empty Re: Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure

Post by Flamingo Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I make Jamaica with a hand full of blossoms, 1/2 cinnamon stick and a sliced sweet orange in about 2 quarts of water . Cover and cook the whole mess for about 10 minutes. Strain and chill. Dilute as needed. For me this is sweet enough. Add a little miel de avave to sweeten if needed.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:19 pm

BTW the label on a can of Pepsi at OXXO had jarabe de maiz de alta fructosa (high fructose corn syrup) listed as an ingredient.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Gal Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 pm

I just did a google search which revealed that Pepsi uses High Fructose Corn Syrup; the amount in a 12 oz. can equivalent to 41 grams of sugar or 3 tablespoons. Yikes!!

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:58 pm

This reminds me of what happened when we first moved here. A couple came to visit and the next morning at breakfast they had coffee and the women asked for sugar and we just didn’t have any, Nada. Now we keep it on hand.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:39 am

I have not had sugar in my hiouse for many years.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:43 am

I have sugar but it's OLD...is in a well sealed container though.
I'm still using a small container of salt that I bought five years ago.
These are two things that we try and steer clear of.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks all for the agua fresca ideas. That Jamaica with orange and cinnamon sounds really good.

What is a real downer these days is the habit in Mexico of stating azucares without being specific. I mean I really want to know which sugar, or sweetener is being used. I suppose one could call the manufacturer but you may not get an appropriate answer. Well........we use whatever sweetener is available at the time.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:40 am

E-raq wrote:Thanks all for the agua fresca ideas. That Jamaica with orange and cinnamon sounds really good.

What is a real downer these days is the habit in Mexico of stating azucares without being specific. I mean I really want to know which sugar, or sweetener is being used. I suppose one could call the manufacturer but you may not get an appropriate answer. Well........we use whatever sweetener is available at the time.

Pepsi at least tells you that theirs contain HFCS. But I am pretty sure Coca Cola is doing the same in their line of soft drinks. The law says that azucares can be either monosacaridos or disacaridos. Fructose is a monosaccharide.

If you check the label on many sweetened products here you'll find azucares and my money says that means HFCS as an ingredient.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 am

Mexican Coca Cola has quite a cult following in the US (from WIKI):
"Mexican Coke (aka "Coca Cola de Mexico", "Coke de Mexico", or, informally, "MexiCoke") is Coca-Cola that is made and bottled in Mexico[1] in a thick glass bottle.[2] Although intended for consumption in Mexico, Mexican Coke has become very popular in the United States because of a flavor that Mexican Coke fans call "a lot more natural tasting".[1] This "more natural" taste can be partially attributed to the use of refined cane sugar in Mexican Coke, as opposed to the high-fructose corn syrup[2] found in nearly all soft drinks bottled in the United States because of a state subsidy for corn farmers.[3]"

A 24 pack of 12oz bottles runs $43.99 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mexican-Coca-Cola-Drink-12-Ounce/dp/B001SAWZOK
Costco sells the same for $20.21:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BD_115-EC20564-ProdID11036692&pos=0&whse=bd_115&topnav=bd&prodid=11234465&lang=en-US

[img]Foods with Fructose Linked to High Blood Pressure - Page 2 41irsl10[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:59 pm

seisdedos wrote:
E-raq wrote:Thanks all for the agua fresca ideas. That Jamaica with orange and cinnamon sounds really good.

Pepsi at least tells you that theirs contain HFCS. But I am pretty sure Coca Cola is doing the same in their line of soft drinks. The law says that azucares can be either monosacaridos or disacaridos. Fructose is a monosaccharide.

If you check the label on many sweetened products here you'll find azucares and my money says that means HFCS as an ingredient.

Yep, I agree 100% on that one. Truth in labeling is not a popular concept with the marketing people. I might add that up until Christmas I was using pineapple juice, which to the best of my knowledge was sweetened with actual sugar. Then.........I start looking at the labels and get this azucares business. Now, I'm really not confident about any sweetened food or drinks, unless I'm the one doing the sweetening with my very own mascabado sugar. Hence, will be starting to make my own aguas frescas asap. Plus, if you really look at labels and they use a different name for an additive, MSG being one of the most common, you're lost in a forest of gobbledegook. Here's a list of products which either do contain MSG, sneakily shuffled in under an alias, or possibly contain MSG. Brace yourselves people.

http://www.glutathionediseasecure.com/other-names-for-MSG.html
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46 pm

I think I better stop eating anything at all, unless it's in its natural form...and we know that even that might be questionable.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 pm

ferret wrote:I think I better stop eating anything at all, unless it's in its natural form...and we know that even that might be questionable.

Sadly yes, it's getting rough out there in foodlandia. On the other hand, how much time do we really have left....?
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Given all of these food factors that we are supposed to worry about, I really have to wonder just how we all managed to live as long as we have?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I think it's only in the last twenty or thirty years that it's been a problem. Too busy lives and buying the ready made lasagna (for example) because it just takes to long to prepare the real thing. We were already adults.
I worry about the effects on the grandkids who have been eating this stuff since day 1...what are their long term health worries. Frankenfood indeed.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:08 pm

I like the course Mexican sugar we buy at the corner market much more than the refined "C&H"sugar I was used to.We don't use much but we like the taste better.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 pm

We just finished our comida of fresh grilled robalo and the beverage was an agua fresca de piña completely unsweetened. They are harvesting pineapple on the Jalisco coast near Tomatlàn that are incredibly sweet and they make a wonderful agua fresca sin azùcar. Just water and crushed pineapple.

There wasn't one processed food product in the whole meal, everything was made from fresh ingredients. That is where IMO eating here in Mexico far excels the typical diet NOB.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 pm

I've changed to Stevia too. So far I haven't heard of any problems with it.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:32 pm

After reading E-Raq's list of deceptive names for stuff we don't want.....I'm appalled.
Meanwhile, I'll let Angelica's make my "home made" lasagna. Had some a few days ago and it was "heavenly". Bet she doesn't put any junk stuff in it, either.

A comment on the frozen foods we see in the freezer case: Some photographer takes a picture of food that never was, but looks delicious. It has almost nothing to do with the contents of the package.......but looks so tempting. Bummer.
There oughta be a law.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Oohhh!
Gringal, they do it on menus too. Pisses us off no end too when the item in the picture bears only a passing resemblance to what is on your plate.
When confronted with a menu replete with pictures, we have taken to asking the waitperson if THIS is what we will be getting ... or not? Lizzy

bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2