INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study

4 posters

Go down

Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study Empty Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study

Post by drmike Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:24 am

Most men will die with prostate cancer in their bodies. Prostate cancer often does not kill the person, rather they die of something else and upon autopsy the coroner finds the person also has prostate cancer. This article compares surgery for prostate cancer and simple observation of the cancer and cannot find a link between the two.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-07-18/lifestyle/sns-rt-us-cancer-deathsbre86h1ke-20120718_1_prostate-high-psa-levels-low-grade-cancer
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study Empty Re: Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 am

Interesting article but it fails to mention the age of the men studied. As an example, if prostate cancer is detected before the age of 50 and is left untreated a person will likely die from the cancer. If it is fully confined to the prostate, surgery is the only method that can ensure a "cure". Any other treatment can only slow or stop the growth and if the cancer returns surgery is no longer possible. I suspect that article is targeted at men who are 60 years or older when the cancer is detected.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study Empty Re: Prostate cancer surgery fails to cut deaths in study

Post by drmike Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 am

Good point CB, the study probably studied men over sixty and found their conclusion. I just remember from medical school that the professor stated that most men will die of something else, besides prostate cancer A friend of mine, age 58, found out he had prostate cancer and elected to go through robotic surgery. I left it totally up to him as it was his decision. He had the surgery, they autopsied the prostate and found a tumour growing inside the prostate that the doctors had totally missed with their biopsy. It was an excellent decision for him to have the surgery. He is doing quite well now.

It has to be a decision made by each individual. As everyone is different and have a different history.

When I post studies, it doesn't mean I necessarily agree or disagree with it, unless I specifically state so. I post it to give new information to the forum members so they will have better information in which to make their medical decisions.

Thanks CB.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 am

Are autopsies performed on people who die of natural causes under no suspicious circumstances? Like most deaths are?
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 am

This is one study. There must be hundreds more done around the world. They could have different results don'tcha think?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 am

I think the study is bang on for those diagnosed with stage 1 or 2 prostate cancer after the age of 60 as it is one of the slowest growing cancers there is. It is quite likely you would die of old age before the cancer gets you. The general consensus is that the younger you are when the cancer is detected the more extreme the treatment.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down