Fishing on the lake

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:40 pm

JimW, or anybody, does anybody except the locals fish this lake? I know you shouldn't eat it, I'm talking about catch and release. Is there anything worth catching and releasing?

There are fishing boats in front of my new house pretty regularly, and I have to believe they are catching something.

Merry


merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by RoofBob on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:05 pm

I've fished the lake quite a bit. The fish to go for are the carp as they plentiful, can get quite large and the locals love 'em.

The talipia are too small to mess with, the catfish are few and scrawny and the white fish are almost extinct.

The fishermen using nets are going for anything that swims and they are catching fish.

RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 825
Join date: 2012-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by CanuckBob on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:25 pm

There have been a few very sizable carp caught in the lake. I have caught fish off the Chapala pier.

CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts: 7483
Join date: 2010-04-04
Age: 50
Location: Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor: Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by Jim W on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:01 am

Merry, about 6 weeks ago, on a Sunday morning, I was @ the Chapala square, went upstairs to check out fish taken from Lake Chapala, and was shocked when one vendor had catfish/channel cats {still alive) I think to 2 KG taken from the Lake. If I understood him correctly, some of the local fishermen have constructed fish pens and are raising and selling them. This is probably the reason local pier fishermen are catching smaller cats.

Very Happy


Last edited by Jim W on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 4082
Join date: 2010-04-24
Age: 66
Location: Chapala
Humor: Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by RoofBob on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:16 am

Augstine, owner of the Viva Mexico restaurant in San Juan Cosala, has the whopper Lake Chapala fish tale of all time. I won't spoil it for you as he takes delight telling about the big one that didn't get away so you have to ask him. And while there try his Chiles en Nogada, a taste treat if ever there was one.

RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 825
Join date: 2012-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:37 pm

RoofBob wrote:Augstine, owner of the Viva Mexico restaurant in San Juan Cosala, has the whopper Lake Chapala fish tale of all time. I won't spoil it for you as he takes delight telling about the big one that didn't get away so you have to ask him. And while there try his Chiles en Nogada, a taste treat if ever there was one.

I will ask him sometime!

And I love love love his chiles en nogada, they are out of this world.

Merry

merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Jim W wrote:Merry, about 6 weeks ago, on a Sunday morning, I was @ the Chapala square, went upstairs to check out fish taken from Lake Chapala, and was shocked when one vendor had catfish/channel cats {still alive) I think to 2 KG taken from the Lake. If I understood him correctly, some of the local fishermen have constructed fish pens and are raising and selling them. This is probably the reason local pier fishermen are catching smaller cats.

Very Happy

Geez, I've never been able to deal with catfish. I think one slapped me in the face when I was a kid and they are so butt-ugly that it gave me nightmares. I can handle just about any other kind of fish. Plus as I recall from the ones I've accidentally caught... they are not exciting fish to catch. I do like to eat them though, and I'm glad they are raising them.

Merry


merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

RoofBob wrote:I've fished the lake quite a bit. The fish to go for are the carp as they plentiful, can get quite large and the locals love 'em.

The talipia are too small to mess with, the catfish are few and scrawny and the white fish are almost extinct.

The fishermen using nets are going for anything that swims and they are catching fish.

Carp are fun to fish! You mean the locals love eating them or just love them? I thought they were not an edible fish.

I've seen a lady selling small tilapias in San Luis Soyatlan. I heard that the lake was stocked with them a few years ago?

Merry

merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:44 pm

CanuckBob wrote:There have been a few very sizable carp caught in the lake. I have caught fish off the Chapala pier.

Cbob, that sounds fun. I've heard that you don't need a license to fish from shore (or a pier). Is this true? Only to fish in boats?

merry

merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by RoofBob on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:11 pm

merry wrote:
RoofBob wrote:I've fished the lake quite a bit. The fish to go for are the carp as they plentiful, can get quite large and the locals love 'em.

The talipia are too small to mess with, the catfish are few and scrawny and the white fish are almost extinct.

The fishermen using nets are going for anything that swims and they are catching fish.

Carp are fun to fish! You mean the locals love eating them or just love them? I thought they were not an edible fish.

I've seen a lady selling small tilapias in San Luis Soyatlan. I heard that the lake was stocked with them a few years ago?

Merry
The locals really enjoy eating the Lake Chapala carp, it seems they make muy nummie ceveche. If you really get into carp fishing shoot me a PM and I'll send ya a buncha tips on fishing them. Oh and they put up a really decent fight too, nice fish.

RoofBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 825
Join date: 2012-05-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by Jim W on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:14 pm

merry wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:There have been a few very sizable carp caught in the lake. I have caught fish off the Chapala pier.

Cbob, that sounds fun. I've heard that you don't need a license to fish from shore (or a pier). Is this true? Only to fish in boats?

merry


Merry, Semarnat enforces license requirement, and a fishing license is required, however seldom enforced for bank pier or boat @ the best fishing spots.....Lake Chapala is way off the map for enforcement....LOL

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 4082
Join date: 2010-04-24
Age: 66
Location: Chapala
Humor: Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by Jim W on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Merry, Great Recipe we used to cook Carp in the States.

Start a fire and put a flat rock on it.
When rock is white hot put carp on it.
Cook for 2 hours.
Throw the Carp away.
Eat the rock.

LMAO Beer

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 4082
Join date: 2010-04-24
Age: 66
Location: Chapala
Humor: Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Jim W wrote:Merry, Great Recipe we used to cook Carp in the States.

Start a fire and put a flat rock on it.
When rock is white hot put carp on it.
Cook for 2 hours.
Throw the Carp away.
Eat the rock.

LMAO Beer

OH that's about what I thought! I'll add it to my recipe box.

Merry

merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by merry on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:34 pm

Jim W wrote:
merry wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:There have been a few very sizable carp caught in the lake. I have caught fish off the Chapala pier.

Cbob, that sounds fun. I've heard that you don't need a license to fish from shore (or a pier). Is this true? Only to fish in boats?

merry

Merry, Semarnat enforces license requirement, and a fishing license is required, however seldom enforced for bank pier or boat @ the best fishing spots.....Lake Chapala is way off the map for enforcement....LOL

Hmm, just did some Googling and it looks like an annual sportfishing license is only about 44 pesos?

I usually buy an annual license in Texas for like $90 US and then fish only once a year on the gulf, so including all costs the fish costs me roughly $75.00 per pound. Luckily I can fillet my own fish! Otherwise they would be about $77.00 per pound.

Merry


merry
Moderator
Moderator

Posts: 789
Join date: 2011-11-03
Location: South Shore

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing on the lake

Post by Jim W on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:40 pm

merry wrote:
Jim W wrote:
merry wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:There have been a few very sizable carp caught in the lake. I have caught fish off the Chapala pier.

Cbob, that sounds fun. I've heard that you don't need a license to fish from shore (or a pier). Is this true? Only to fish in boats?

merry

Merry, Semarnat enforces license requirement, and a fishing license is required, however seldom enforced for bank pier or boat @ the best fishing spots.....Lake Chapala is way off the map for enforcement....LOL

Hmm, just did some Googling and it looks like an annual sportfishing license is only about 44 pesos?

I usually buy an annual license in Texas for like $90 US and then fish only once a year on the gulf, so including all costs the fish costs me roughly $75.00 per pound. Luckily I can fillet my own fish! Otherwise they would be about $77.00 per pound.

Merry


Merry, buying a fishing license here is approx. 550 pesos per year........buying fish is far cheaper than catching.

Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts: 4082
Join date: 2010-04-24
Age: 66
Location: Chapala
Humor: Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum