INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

+15
Frijoles
Trailrunner
hockables
slainte39
joec
Phydgit
Dr. Sam Thelin
David
little italy
CanuckBob
johninajijic
E-raq
ferret
CheenaGringo
Jim W
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation Empty Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm

I met with Cruz Rojo six months ago, asking why, they spent so much time begging for $, and why they weren't addressing blood issues @ Lakeside. They said there was tooo much on their plate keeping Ambulance service running! I suggested that they should consider becomming a certified blood bank, as part of a 5 year plan! Once certified, their financial issue might be solved. I don't have clue about costs, however, I think this warrants investigation.

If any one wants to get envolved, please post em, or pm. One question I asked, since I am to old to donate for others, can I donate for myself.....no answer to date! According to my contacts, blood can't be imported.

I know this belongs under medical, however, I hope, everyone understands the risks/issues living in Mexico, medically speaking!

Lets get pro active!

Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation Empty Re: Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:12 pm

Jim:

While your concept appears to be a noble one, I think you have an overriding problem? Years of books, magazines, newspapers and resident Gringos all telling people to come on down because Mexico provides a cheap alternative to health insurance that people can leave behind in the US, Canada and other countries. As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that Mexico may have figured out that they have no business even thinking about covering Gringo's health issues? No matter how one views it, any Gringo collecting on IMSS or Seguro Popular is burdening a system not adequately designed for Mexican Citizens let alone the foreign community.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation Empty Re: Newbies in Mexico Medical expectation

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Jim:

While your concept appears to be a noble one, I think you have an overriding problem? Years of books, magazines, newspapers and resident Gringos all telling people to come on down because Mexico provides a cheap alternative to health insurance that people can leave behind in the US, Canada and other countries. As an outsider looking in, it appears to me that Mexico may have figured out that they have no business even thinking about covering Gringo's health issues? No matter how one views it, any Gringo collecting on IMSS or Seguro Popular is burdening a system not adequately designed for Mexican Citizens let alone the foreign community.

Neil, you are absolutely correct! My point is that Cruz Rojo appears to be supported by primarily,,,NOB .., @ Lakeside...! I am simply trying to provide info to newbies! I am hopeful people might get on the bandwagon, realizing, health care here is not a bargain! When they are in need of blood, they are screwed, unless they know where to go, amigo!

Many people move to Mexico, without a understanding of Mexico's IMSS system, cheap, yes, but they have no clue about the system!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:55 pm

To answer your question Jim...yes, you can donate for yourself if you are too old to donate otherwise. My hubby did this for the femoral arterial bypass in both legs over 10 years ago. He did have an excellent haemoglobin at that time. He was told he would need two units and he donated them three weeks apart...six weeks before the planned surgery. "Planned" being the operative word.
The catch 22 is that red cells only have a certain life span after which time they are useless. BUT, the unit of blood could be spun down and the plasma frozen to be used strictly for "blood volume" to prevent shock if needed. It takes a special freezer...i.e. you're not going to be keeping it in your own freezer (it kinda looks like chicken soup stock anyway).
Your idea is a noble one with the concept of funding the Red Cross...there's a lot of hurdles to jump through though.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 pm

ferret wrote:To answer your question Jim...yes, you can donate for yourself if you are too old to donate otherwise. My hubby did this for the femoral arterial bypass in both legs over 10 years ago. He did have an excellent haemoglobin at that time. He was told he would need two units and he donated them three weeks apart...six weeks before the planned surgery. "Planned" being the operative word.
The catch 22 is that red cells only have a certain life span after which time they are useless. BUT, the unit of blood could be spun down and the plasma frozen to be used strictly for "blood volume" to prevent shock if needed. It takes a special freezer...i.e. you're not going to be keeping it in your own freezer (it kinda looks like chicken soup stock anyway).
Your idea is a noble one with the concept of funding the Red Cross...there's a lot of hurdles to jump through though.

Thank You ferret, I am hopeful our input will help everyone....most have no clue about these issues! As far as Red Cross goes, I am willing to invest the time.......then I will have golf, fishing, and really important contribution to my friends.

Jim W
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I have never seen a "donor" rally in Mexico like they have in Canada. It's a little different in Canada 'cuz you don't get paid for your blood but then, you don't "pay" for the blood if you need it either. Big rallys that were set up with lots of cots and very organized and efficient. You gave, you got juice and a cookie and you left...all within 30 minutes.
I was used to donating every six months in Canada...and I donated twice in San Miguel and both times were a nightmare of organization. One donation took over THREE hours. If it's not efficient, nobody's gonna take the time and make the effort. Just MHO.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:53 pm

ferret wrote:I have never seen a "donor" rally in Mexico like they have in Canada. It's a little different in Canada 'cuz you don't get paid for your blood but then, you don't "pay" for the blood if you need it either. Big rallys that were set up with lots of cots and very organized and efficient. You gave, you got juice and a cookie and you left...all within 30 minutes.
I was used to donating every six months in Canada...and I donated twice in San Miguel and both times were a nightmare of organization. One donation took over THREE hours. If it's not efficient, nobody's gonna take the time and make the effort. Just MHO.

You are so right ferret.....pain in the ass here....but it is what it is.....we have to work thru the proverbial bull shit! My buddy, ONEG, walked in, he said take the blood, throw it away, if it is bad, as he was unwilling , to wait for test!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Let me address this issue. In Canada, as an example, we have immigrants from all over the world. Once they are in the health system, they cannot be denied care, period. You pay, you play, also period.
We, as gringo's, pay roughly 7.500 pesos every year for IMSS coverage, that means we are paying to play. When we arrived here, we had no intention of using it, but it seemed like a good idea to have it in case of a serious auto wreck.
Well, as we all know only too well, the best laid plans of mice and men.............
This means that we have had NO option over the past month, both for different reasons, to use the IMSS facilities, more or less for the first time in 13 years.
I'd say, that the services offered by IMSS are actually superior to those offered in Canada, in terms of the surgeons. There is no wait for emergency situations, also a major problem in Canada. You cannot be refused treatment at many hospitals here, unlike Canada where that is theoretically the case. We were charged over 2,000 CAD per day and are both Canadian citizens, however non-resident. So, we pay taxes, although they are minimal, and get zero services.
Canada has no private health care option, although a friend of mine, opted out and set up her practice as a private patient only group. You do pĂ y way over the odds. As far as I know, to this day she is the only one to have done it, but may be mistaken.
Here you can go private, IMSS, Seguro Popular, or a combination of all. Doesn't get a whole lot better than that IMO.

For those, like ourselves who also self-insure, service could NOT be better, nor could the private hospital options available.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Jim W wrote:

Neil, you are absolutely correct! My point is that Cruz Rojo appears to be supported by primarily,,,NOB .., @ Lakeside...! I am simply trying to provide info to newbies! I am hopeful people might get on the bandwagon, realizing, health care here is not a bargain! When they are in need of blood, they are screwed, unless they know where to go, amigo!

Many people move to Mexico, without a understanding of Mexico's IMSS system, cheap, yes, but they have no clue about the system!

And that my friend is where raq comes into the picture. I do have a pretty good understanding of how the system here works, although have no idea regarding the legal end of things, that's Spencer's bailiwick so to speak.
Knowledge, often learned the hard way, is invaluable. So, for that reason, will help anyone who is on their way to, or at the IMSS in Tlajomulco or a clinic here, with any information they may require.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:17 pm

E Raq quote - "I'd say, that the services offered by IMSS are actually superior to those offered in Canada, in terms of the surgeons. There is no wait for emergency situations, also a major problem in Canada. You cannot be refused treatment at many hospitals here, unlike Canada where that is theoretically the case."

What are you smoking? IMSS superior to Canada or the US? How do you figure that? You are operated on by "Residents" in the IMSS program. You may be lucky to get an actual surgeon.

Can you pick the surgeon you want? I highly doubt it. I can pick ANY surgeon that I want here. Why would any hospital here refuse you treatrment, they're only interested in your $$$. In Canada they must take you although there's a waiting period, sometimes ridiculous.

IMSS cannot compare to private hospitals in Guadalajara, like Puerto de Hierra, San Javier, Del Carmen, Mexico Americana, etc.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am

johninajijic wrote:E Raq quote - "I'd say, that the services offered by IMSS are actually superior to those offered in Canada, in terms of the surgeons. There is no wait for emergency situations, also a major problem in Canada. You cannot be refused treatment at many hospitals here, unlike Canada where that is theoretically the case."

What are you smoking? IMSS superior to Canada or the US? How do you figure that? You are operated on by "Residents" in the IMSS program. You may be lucky to get an actual surgeon.

Can you pick the surgeon you want? I highly doubt it. I can pick ANY surgeon that I want here. Why would any hospital here refuse you treatrment, they're only interested in your $$$. In Canada they must take you although there's a waiting period, sometimes ridiculous.

IMSS cannot compare to private hospitals in Guadalajara, like Puerto de Hierra, San Javier, Del Carmen, Mexico Americana, etc.

Not even worth replying to John as usual, however for the benefit of others will elaborate further.

1. Canada's health system DOES NOT ALLOW YOU to pick a surgeon.
2. My surgeon was not a resident, oh no he was on the advisory board for the entire country in Angiology.
3. If you do not follow correct procedures you may have to travel for hours, wait, get the correct paperwork then return. In the interim, you could expire.
4. I doubt that you, an American are qualified to make any commentary regarding the Canadian health system.
5. In future please refrain from doing so.

Final question, what do you call a doctor who graduates at the bottom of his class? DOCTOR.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 am

E-raq wrote:
johninajijic wrote:E Raq quote - "I'd say, that the services offered by IMSS are actually superior to those offered in Canada, in terms of the surgeons. There is no wait for emergency situations, also a major problem in Canada. You cannot be refused treatment at many hospitals here, unlike Canada where that is theoretically the case."

Not even worth replying to John as usual, however for the benefit of others will elaborate further.

2. My surgeon was not a resident, oh no he was on the advisory board for the entire country in Angiology.
3. If you do not follow correct procedures you may have to travel for hours, wait, get the correct paperwork then return. In the interim, you could expire.
4. I doubt that you, an American are qualified to make any commentary regarding the Canadian health system.

Final question, what do you call a doctor who graduates at the bottom of his class? DOCTOR.

You misconstrued my post. I was talking about IMSS here vs. private health insurance. I was not talking about Canada except to say you had to wait.

Did you purposely miss the part that at IMSS you have a resident operationg on you? Did you miss the part that with private insurance I can pick ANY surgeon to operate on me here.

Do you not think that I don't know about your Canadian system? I have 3 neighbors who are Canadian from Ontario. They wanted one woman to wait 6 months for a hip replacement. What a joke your system is. She flew to Finland and had immediate surgery at NO cost. Another person had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment with a Cardiologist. Your great Canadian system!!!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:21 am

John, did you know that each Canadian province has their own medical system? Perhaps there are waits in Ontario but that doesn't mean that all the provinces are run in the same manner. In BC I have never had to wait for any medical care other than one time when the MRI clinics were back logged. I ended up paying for a private MRI to speed things up.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 am

CanuckBob wrote:John, did you know that each Canadian province has their own medical system? Perhaps there are waits in Ontario but that doesn't mean that all the provinces are run in the same manner. In BC I have never had to wait for any medical care other than one time when the MRI clinics were back logged. I ended up paying for a private MRI to speed things up.

Just out curiosity Bob, What does an MRI cost in BC?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am

At the time (15 years ago) there were only two or three private MRI clinics in Vancouver and it was $900.00. There are quite a few of them now so the price may have come down a bit.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

Bob - I do know that each province has it's own system. I had one before that and I believe my HMO paid the MRI people $ 1,000. US.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 am

7 years ago my husband had 3 MRI'S and I beleive it was 600 a scan in Guadalahara. I remembering thinking wow that would have cost twice that in the states.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 am

FYI, a CAT scan cost 9,000 pesos in Guadalajara...July of this year.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by little italy Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am

I should clarify the scans were 600 U.S. as what appeared on my credit card.

little italy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 am

John:

Maybe you could answer a question? For years, you have made disparaging comments using a very broad brush about the Canadian Health Care apparently based upon what you have heard from your Ontario friends. If you have or had the knowledge that each Province has their own system, why use such a broad brush to generalize about Canadian Health Care?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 pm

I hade an MRI (knee) in April this year, and was 2500 pesos.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:11 pm

johninajijic wrote:
E-raq wrote:

You misconstrued my post. I was talking about IMSS here vs. private health insurance. I was not talking about Canada except to say you had to wait.

Did you purposely miss the part that at IMSS you have a resident operationg on you? Did you miss the part that with private insurance I can pick ANY surgeon to operate on me here.

Do you not think that I don't know about your Canadian system? I have 3 neighbors who are Canadian from Ontario. They wanted one woman to wait 6 months for a hip replacement. What a joke your system is. She flew to Finland and had immediate surgery at NO cost. Another person had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment with a Cardiologist. Your great Canadian system!!!

I was referring to Mexico about the angiologist, I have never had surgery in Canada.

In Ontario, to my knowledge there was NO private medical care available, other than my friend who is retired now, and before we left people had to go to the States to get any tests not provided. One year wait for an MRI.

John, you are not a Canadian, not even a wannabe Canadian, so just stop with the ridiculous commentary. You know nothing other than hearsay which is inadmissible.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey, Jim, we had a cat scan, a big time operation for me, expensive meds all courtesy of IMSS, totally free.

Having said that our experiences at private radiology clinics have varied widely from inexpensive, and poor quality, to pretty darned pricey, but great quality.

Dei has great equipment. My last MRI was roughly 4000 pesos, they gave me a discount. Don't know the regular price. It's the high priced spread. Don't bother with the cheapos, trust me, One time the big guy had a series of X-rays which were totally unreadable. Could have been an x-ray of a rat, or even a book, who could tell.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:05 pm

E-raq wrote:
johninajijic wrote:
E-raq wrote:

I was referring to Mexico about the angiologist, I have never had surgery in Canada.

In Ontario, to my knowledge there was NO private medical care available, other than my friend who is retired now, and before we left people had to go to the States to get any tests not provided. One year wait for an MRI.

John, you are not a Canadian, not even a wannabe Canadian, so just stop with the ridiculous commentary. You know nothing other than hearsay which is inadmissible.

E Raq - The ONLY thing I said about Canadian health care was that there was a waiting period, sometimes too long. According to you, I don't know anthing about Canadian healthcare. WRONG AGAIN!!! I know what my three Canadian friends tell me and they are more intelligent than you ANYDAY. Peole like you who think they're always right are USUALLY WRONG. Stop your ridiculous PERSONAL ATTACKS!

This discussion was about what Newbies expect from Mexican healthcare, but you hijacked it and turned it into a discussion about Canadian healthcare. I could give a rats patootey about Canadian healthcare.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:12 pm

John, for your information, and that of any moderators reading this I consider an attack on my intelligence a personal attack.

The comment that since you are not a Canadian, therefore have no direct knowledge was not, it was an observation, and a correct one I might add. Your friendship with 3 Canadians notwithstanding.

As to hijacking, I think you were at least partially to blame, as you are here.

Cease and desist or I will lodge a formal complaint, something which I have never done on any web board, especially this one. Consider yourself warned.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next