INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars

+9
Flamingo
zenwoodle
viajero
Zedinmexico
Intercasa
gringal
camillenparadise
CheenaGringo
coffeeguy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

mexican plated - Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars Empty Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars

Post by coffeeguy Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm planning on buying a small (compact) used car (Jalisco-plated) and am not finding it easy to access info on MPG, reliability, etc. of the more commonly-available (in Guadalajara) choices. I'm looking for either a hatchback (preferred) or small sedan that'll be used primarily around Lakeside with perhaps one trip a year to the beach. Cars that seem to fit the bill and that are readily available used include Ford Fiesta and Ka, Nissan Platina, Dodge Atos, Chevy Pop, doubtless others.

Anyone had any experiences good or bad with particular models? I want to get something around 5 years old and well under 80,000 pesos.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

mexican plated - Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars Empty Re: Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Kevin:

Last I heard, Mark Turford has a vehicle locating service and I think he charges $300USD. Spencer at S & S Auto has a similar service for which he was charging $500USD. I believe that both take care of checking out the vehicle condition and take care of the paperwork?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

mexican plated - Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars Empty Re: Looking for experiences/recommendations with basic Mexican-plated cars

Post by camillenparadise Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Spencer charges 5000 pesos and handles everything, including insurance.

camillenparadise

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:59 pm

We bought a Honda FIT hatchback through S&S new in 2010; Great service, easy paperwork. Absolutely happy with the car. It has many features you'd expect on a more expensive vehicle. Worth checking out.

It has a slightly higher clearance than the models sold in the U.S., so it works with the topes around town, but be gentle. LOL. Very Happy

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone!

I'll probably have Mark Turford help us as we've rented cars from him and always had a good experience. The question is, which car?

Am using Spencer for our FM3s and knew he could check car paperwork but didn't think he actually sourced cars, negotiated with dealers, did the mechanical checks etc. as Mark T. does.

Gringal we love the Honda Fit but they hold their value so well that even a 5 year old one looks to be worth about $10,000 or so U.S. here in Mexico. You did well, but we need more of a "village beater" that we won't cry over too much when the dents, broken mirrors etc. happen.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi,

There are 2 Spencers lakeside. The other Spencer has S&S Auto. He is the car guy. The only car service we do besides getting import stickers and aduana notifications is to check the vehicles history and check the seller's paperwork to see if the seller paid the transfer taxes and that they have all the proper papers to transfer to you to avoid problems before you hand over the money.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:37 pm

coffeeguy wrote:I'm planning on buying a small (compact) used car (Jalisco-plated) and am not finding it easy to access info on MPG, reliability, etc. of the more commonly-available (in Guadalajara) choices. I'm looking for either a hatchback (preferred) or small sedan that'll be used primarily around Lakeside with perhaps one trip a year to the beach. Cars that seem to fit the bill and that are readily available used include Ford Fiesta and Ka, Nissan Platina, Dodge Atos, Chevy Pop, doubtless others.

Anyone had any experiences good or bad with particular models? I want to get something around 5 years old and well under 80,000 pesos.

Uhh you know the Nissan Platina is not a Nissan right. It is more of
a french Renault. Some Nissan Parts. I think if you are looking at Atos and Ka
you want to look at Nissan Micra. If you want ABS, airbags, and air conditioning
that will freeze you out try a Micra. Beware some of the other small cars are not
so safe in an accident. Make sure you understand how stripped many of these small
cars are. The Micra has everything you could want except for cruise control. I love
mine even if it looks like a clown car. I should put a giant red nose on the front and
play Circus music on the stereo. Only manual transmission. 3000RPM at 100km/hr or
62 mph. Very quiet for a small car. I like the Ka also but only came in two doors. Atos
is a hyundai with dodge trim on it. Never heard of cheby pop. I thought there small car
was called a comfort. Pontiac had a small car called the Matiz that cheby sells now. I
found the Atos and Matiz to be too small.

Good Luck We love our dinky car!!We can always find a space to park.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by coffeeguy Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks all - and Sorry Spencer (Intercasa).

Zedinmexico that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping for - thanks! We owned a Ka and it was fine for the villages but as you say no airbags and on the open highway it and others (e.g. the Chevy Pop and Atos) always seem like they're looking for an overdrive gear that doesn't exist. I will look for a used Nissan Micra or a Toyota Yaris (we owned one of the latter in New Mexico but foolishly sold it before moving down).

Thanks again to everyone.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:17 pm

While I am not a fan of small/smaller cars, when renting one doesn't have all that many choices at a reasonable price. In 2011, we rented a Toyota Yaris from S & S Auto. I was surprised at the comfort and the amount of cargo space inside. It had plenty of getup and go and I could easily cruise the cuotas in the 80 to 100 mph range. This year, we rented a Chevy Optra and while it appeared to be bigger, the cargo capacity was about equal with the Yaris. Not only did this vehicle fail to renew any faith in Chevy products, once I got over 90 mph I started feeling uncomfortable.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Of the Yaris and the Micra (new car is called March) actually almost everyone
says the Yaris is a better car. Just make sure you know a US Yaris may not be
the same as a SOB Yaris. Check for airbags and engine size. My Micra came with
a 1.4 while some in Europe came with a 1.6. Don't know the details on Yaris but
it is a little bigger than a Micra so we went with the Nissan. Toyota doesn't bring
there tiny cars here. I will be back lakeside in a couple of weeks PM me if you
want to come over and see the car and look. I am a Nissan guy as I have had
10th nissan and I am loyal. I think the Yaris is better on the road
and the Micra is better around town. I like the way the micra drives better than
the Yaris but it does do 3k rpm at 62mph. Nice 12.6 gallon tank you can drive
forever. Can't go wrong with a Yaris or Jazz (also called City and Fit) for a small
road car.

z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:45 pm

CheenaGringo wrote: once I got over 90 mph I started feeling uncomfortable.
As would any sane person.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:10 pm

viajero wrote:
CheenaGringo wrote: once I got over 90 mph I started feeling uncomfortable.
As would any sane person.

They drive 200MPH on the Autobahn and have a better safety record than the US.
They are sane. Driven the road through Senora before?? Roads go straight for miles.
You can see miles ahead. It depends on the car and person whether it is safe. I would
want to have very good tires to drive steady above 90 in the heat. I drive for MPG so
they will all pass me while I am listening to music in the right lane at 100kph/62mph.
I once drove 140mph for 50 miles on the Autobahn in a friends big mercedes. It felt
like 80 in a jetta. I admit mexico is not germany but the poster said uncomfortable
and 90 or 100 in the right car feels comfortable to me. My Micra, no 62mph is it but
its not designed for that.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Felt like 80 in a Jetta? Come ride with me at 120 in my Jetta, feels like 50 in a Ford!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Rented a March from S&S last winter. Loved it in the village.

Don't think I would do any long drives, but Guad and back is OK.

Liked it enuf we bought a new one and it is waiting for us to return next week.
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:34 pm

If you use Mark, do have Spenser the attorney look at the paperwork before you hand over the money. We didn't and regretted it.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:54 am

Intercasa wrote:Felt like 80 in a Jetta? Come ride with me at 120 in my Jetta, feels like 50 in a Ford!

Why do you say that? I seriously doubt that. And what Ford?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:29 am

zenwoodle wrote:Rented a March from S&S last winter. Loved it in the village.

Don't think I would do any long drives, but Guad and back is OK.

Liked it enuf we bought a new one and it is waiting for us to return next week.

The March has a 1.6 instead of the 1.4 in the Micra. I think the March is a better road
car than the Micra. If we wanted a new car we would have bought the March. Enjoy
your new March. I envy you!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:34 am

Intercasa wrote:Felt like 80 in a Jetta? Come ride with me at 120 in my Jetta, feels like 50 in a Ford!

LOL yea I have heard about your "ahem" trips to Guad LOL.

I do wish I could give you a ride in my departed 300HP Miata.
The passenger armrest had nail marks in it from my wife so
it went bye bye since I couldn't step on the gas no sense
owning it anymore. Sigh. Now I have 88HP. I guess I qualify
as a right lane bandit on the hills LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 am

Anyone who buys or owns one of those rinky dink pieces of crap like you're talking about must have a death wish. They're unsafe and you'll get seriously hurt or killed. Buy a decent sized vehicle that still is easy to park on the street like a Ford Escape, Toyota RAV 4 or Nissan. They are SUV's for better ground clearance and visibilty as well as comfort.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luisa Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:56 am

johninajijic wrote:Anyone who buys or owns one of those rinky dink pieces of crap like you're talking about must have a death wish. They're unsafe and you'll get seriously hurt or killed. Buy a decent sized vehicle that still is easy to park on the street like a Ford Escape, Toyota RAV 4 or Nissan. They are SUV's for better ground clearance and visibilty as well as comfort.

John, thank you. I really appreciate all the advice you give--I don't know how I would manage without it.

Luisa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:06 am

Luisa wrote:
johninajijic wrote:Anyone who buys or owns one of those rinky dink pieces of crap like you're talking about must have a death wish. They're unsafe and you'll get seriously hurt or killed. Buy a decent sized vehicle that still is easy to park on the street like a Ford Escape, Toyota RAV 4 or Nissan. They are SUV's for better ground clearance and visibilty as well as comfort.

John, thank you. I really appreciate all the advice you give--I don't know how I would manage without it.

Another sarcastic remark from you, but what else could I expect.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 am

John: Why can't you accept the fact that people have differing needs and requirements from their vehicle? After all, it is their choice and decision to make. Your badmouthing of other brands or types of vehicle has no place in the conversation!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:33 am

Flamingo wrote:If you use Mark, do have Spenser the attorney look at the paperwork before you hand over the money. We didn't and regretted it.

Can't help but get curious here: What went wrong? Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John: Why can't you accept the fact that people have differing needs and requirements from their vehicle? After all, it is their choice and decision to make. Your badmouthing of other brands or types of vehicle has no place in the conversation!

Agreed, CG. Sometimes the choice is dictated by the size of the garage, as is the case for some friends living in Villa Nova. Sometimes there's no need for an SUV and they just cost a lot more. The real safety issue in smaller cars is whether the car has the "cage" construction and air bags........but above all, a careful, aware driver at the wheel.
Another issue in the decision process is : Where am I going to be driving this vehicle? Long trips back to the states? Just around town? What kind of traffic? I'd sure pick a different vehicle for the L.A. freeway system than I would to tool around Lakeside. Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:59 am

gringal wrote:
Flamingo wrote:If you use Mark, do have Spenser the attorney look at the paperwork before you hand over the money. We didn't and regretted it.

Can't help but get curious here: What went wrong? Shocked
We weren't given the proper paperwork so we couldn't register in car in our names. Any insurance payments would have gone to the previous owners. Mark said we could go to a special office in Guad, but Spencer said he didn't see how that would work.

As luck would have it, I hit a rock in the road and cracked the oil pan. MDH drove the car a half mile or so and the car died. Problem solved.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next