INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IMSS

+15
Rolly
islandiver
CanuckBob
johninajijic
martygraw
hound dog
Intercasa
simpsca
Jim W
Lehrer
davinandkennard
cane
gringal
Sherman
Abrria
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IMSS Empty IMSS

Post by Abrria Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:59 pm

I am beginning to think that having IMSS as a backup is not a bad idea. Have any of you used any of the local "facilitators" to go through the application and if so whom do you recommend?
Gracias por su ayuda.

Abrria
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

IMSS Empty Re: IMSS

Post by Sherman Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 pm

If you use the people at LCS, doublecheck everything and have her take you to the Chapala IMSS to make sure you are in the computer.

There's lots of people that use IMSS as a backup. If you are traveling in Mexico and get into a car accident, IMSS is good to have as long as they see your card. Otherwise you are most likely to end up in Hospital Civil. Not everyone's first choice.

Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:13 am

My husband and I have IMSS as a backup, but haven't used it yet.

Someone on another forum wrote the immortal statement that an IMSS hospital was like "MASH without the incoming artillery".

However, it sounds like a better alternative than the Hospital Civil in the event of an unexpected disaster. I've heard both good and bad things about the experience. Sounds like you need to arrive with everything you'd need on a comping trip in the wilderness, including your own toilet paper and a 24/7 friend or relative for nursing duty.
Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by cane Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 pm

gringal wrote:My husband and I have IMSS as a backup, but haven't used it yet.

Someone on another forum wrote the immortal statement that an IMSS hospital was like "MASH without the incoming artillery". IMSS 521823

However, it sounds like a better alternative than the Hospital Civil in the event of an unexpected disaster. I've heard both good and bad things about the experience. Sounds like you need to arrive with everything you'd need on a comping trip in the wilderness, including your own toilet paper and a 24/7 friend or relative for nursing duty.
Shocked

That was said a few years ago! IMSS 521823

cane
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

IMSS Empty IMSS

Post by davinandkennard Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:43 pm

I am in my third year of IMSS and have 100% coverage. As someone who recently had a quadruple bypass at IMSS's Centro Medico in Guadalajara I can tell you that the hospital was spartan, but the care was excellent. There are certain things that we (as residents here) need to deal with......
Nurses are for medical care only. They do not change bed pans, walk you, etc. There are no "Candy Stripers." You are required to have a family member or friend with you at all times.
You are provided medical care, tests, bed, sheets, medications and meals. Pillows, paper products, etc should be brought with you.
If you have questions I will be happy to answer them from my experience. I cannot guarantee definitive answers.
Tony

davinandkennard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:38 am

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Lehrer wrote:
Abrria wrote:I am beginning to think that having IMSS as a backup is not a bad idea. Have any of you used any of the local "facilitators" to go through the application and if so whom do you recommend?
Gracias por su ayuda.
My wife & I used Mago in Chapala. They know what they're doing and they even provide transportation into Guadalajara for the paperwork.
IMSS Icon_biggrin

My wife and I dropped IMSS, after 3 years, never used it. We have Alliance for major medical. Also, created another thread regarding same...several months ago.....short version, he needed blood, was Imss subscriber for 15 years, never used it, IMSS could not provide his blood type, checked him out to another Hospital...Hospital Cival...GDL. They charge based on ability to pay. He was there for 13 days, they provided linen change and TP..sponge bath...daily...he received 5 units of blood...when he needed it...total bill was 3300 pesos.

Simpsca and Jim w, worked hard to get donars, for Tony, Blood etc., IMSS is not your only option, The same surgeons that assisted Tony, operate @ Hospital Cival..GDL.

My question is how do we get admitted to Hospital Civil, GDL?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:30 pm

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherman Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I mentioned Lucy at LCS. She's there certain days of the week (I don't remember which days, but you may be able to find it on the LCS website) and can answer questions about her service, for which charges. The fee used to be $500 a person and the process took a few weeks.

The pros of using her is that she's easy to find. She speaks some English, or her daughter is there with her who speaks more English (for those who struggle with Spanish).

She will process the form and get you enrolled with the Chapala (for Abbria...since she lives in the Chapala municipality). You need to make sure the paperwork is correct, when you get something returned...make sure again it is correct, and when completed, ask her to accompany you to the Chapala IMSS to make sure your name is in the computer. (There are stories about snags in all of the points I just mentioned.)

I have not used Mago, but many do. Perhaps the person who posted can list Mago's contact information and her charges.

Filoli

Sherman
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Great sense of Humor!! I live here!!

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:24 pm

We used the ladies who go to LCS. They walked us through the process and this year, when we needed to go to Guad, they met us there and all we needed to do was walk up to the counter and sign the forms. No waiting. Easy peasy all the way. IMO; worth their fees.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

IMSS Empty RE: IMSS

Post by Abrria Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:29 pm

I wasn't sure if I should have posted a new topic but here goes: has anyone made a NEW APPLICATION FOR IMSS AFTER 5/1? I have been told that there are some new requirements with new applications which include: blood test and X-ray results. If anyone has done a new application I would appreciate info on whether this in fact is a new requirement. Thanks in advance.

Abrria
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Jim W wrote:
Lehrer wrote:
Abrria wrote:I am beginning to think that having IMSS as a backup is not a bad idea. Have any of you used any of the local "facilitators" to go through the application and if so whom do you recommend?
Gracias por su ayuda.
My wife & I used Mago in Chapala. They know what they're doing and they even provide transportation into Guadalajara for the paperwork.
IMSS Icon_biggrin

My wife and I dropped IMSS, after 3 years, never used it. We have Alliance for major medical. Also, created another thread regarding same...several months ago.....short version, he needed blood, was Imss subscriber for 15 years, never used it, IMSS could not provide his blood type, checked him out to another Hospital...Hospital Cival...GDL. They charge based on ability to pay. He was there for 13 days, they provided linen change and TP..sponge bath...daily...he received 5 units of blood...when he needed it...total bill was 3300 pesos.

Simpsca and Jim w, worked hard to get donars, for Tony, Blood etc., IMSS is not your only option, The same surgeons that assisted Tony, operate @ Hospital Cival..GDL.

My question is how do we get admitted to Hospital Civil, GDL?

Jim,

When a friend of mine needed a pacemaker and IMSS gave him the run around until he almost died, one local doctor said "We can send you to Hospital Civil, and that will be really cheap, but the pacemaker alone costs $5,000 US and you need to pay a doctor but we can find a doctor who will take installment payments."

So I believe any doctor can admit you but possibly some don't want to. It would be best to ask a few doctors and see who is willing. The doctor who was willing to go that route was Dr. Lastra in Ajiic, I am sure there are many more.

I also took him to a private cardiologist who promised to do the same - do the surgery and take installment payments (he must trust his work:) But my friend insisted he had paid for IMSS for 14 years and he was going there. I jumped through more hoops than ever before in my life, had to hire all sorts of facilitators to get him in, private nurse because they wanted me to sit there 24 hours a day and be his nurse. It was the filthiest most disgusting place I've ever been in my life. Toilet doors did not close, no toilet seats, patients peed on the floor because they couldn't sit, a cardboard box filled with feces laden toilet paper in each stall, no soap, no towels... I told him no matter what I would never go there again, but I will help him with his medical issues if he saves his money for private care.
Basta
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm

I forgot to add I wouldn't even take my dog to an IMSS hospital!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:11 am

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 am

I have people at my office here in Chapala doing IMSS
renewals, fast and furious.

Our fees: 1 person $800 pesos / Married couple $1,500 pesos plus
IMSS fees as of 2010:
0-18 $1,265 pesos
19-40 $1,479 pesos
41-60 $2,210 pesos
60+ $3,326 pesos

Fees usually go up in February of each year

Address:
Hidalgo #230 Chapala
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:45 pm

xxx

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

"...my friend insisted he had paid for IMSS for 14 years and he was going there. I jumped through more hoops than ever before in my life, had to hire all sorts of facilitators to get him in, private nurse because they wanted me to sit there 24 hours a day and be his nurse. [i][b]It was the filthiest most disgusting place I've ever been in my life. Toilet doors did not close, no toilet seats, patients peed on the floor because they couldn't sit, a cardboard box filled with feces laden toilet paper in each stall, no soap, no towels... I told him no matter what I would never go there again, but I will help him with his medical issues if he saves his money for private care....."

We have lived in Mexico for some ten years and have considered every year since about 2002 of signing up for IMSS. What a creepy idea. Ain´t gone happen.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:28 pm

hound dog wrote:"...my friend insisted he had paid for IMSS for 14 years and he was going there. I jumped through more hoops than ever before in my life, had to hire all sorts of facilitators to get him in, private nurse because they wanted me to sit there 24 hours a day and be his nurse. [i][b]It was the filthiest most disgusting place I've ever been in my life. Toilet doors did not close, no toilet seats, patients peed on the floor because they couldn't sit, a cardboard box filled with feces laden toilet paper in each stall, no soap, no towels... I told him no matter what I would never go there again, but I will help him with his medical issues if he saves his money for private care....."

We have lived in Mexico for some ten years and have considered every year since about 2002 of signing up for IMSS. What a creepy idea. Ain´t gone happen.

I think for you the question is academic, there is no way you my fat friend are in any way insurable.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:51 am

simpsca wrote:I forgot to add I wouldn't even take my dog to an IMSS hospital!

I agree with you, there's no way I would take my pet to IMSS.

Some people on here who have IMSS don't value their lives much or are too cheap to buy private insurance. I have never met so many cheapos as I've met at Lakeside. What the hell are they saving their money for?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 am

It seems to me that someone is misleading the new comers into believing that IMSS is a viable medical service. Maybe the real estate agents? When I moved here 11 years ago everyone talked about where to buy private insurance which I did right away, only a few people joined IMSS. At the time IMSS in Chapala was a tiny one or two room clinic. If it's your only alternative, I can see why you would want it, but if you can afford an alternative, why not?

Now for some reason, almost everyone new who moves here is enrolling in IMSS. I wonder why?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 am

So what are the other insurance options and costs?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:02 am

Intercasa wrote:So what are the other insurance options and costs?

Good question, Spencer. Perhaps the answer to Simpsca's question (which has been extensively explored on TOB) is that some people are not eligible for private insurance, period. Anyone over the age of 70, to begin with. Some with unacceptable pre-existing conditions, for another

For those people, paying out of pocket is the ultimate alternative. Just like in the good old USA, where citizens get to either go bankrupt or die over uncovered health issues. Some of the assumptions voiced on here are just amazing. John's is a good example; suggesting that people don't value their lives enough to buy private insurance. HUH?

BTW, IMSS hospitals don't accept pets for treatment. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:08 am

There are a lot more options then there used to be - maybe just more agents/brokers servicing lakeside. The companies friends have are Alliance, Seguros Monterrey New York Life (me), Metlife, and AXA.

A friend who is 65 has Metlife and a high deductible (25,000 pesos) and premium is very reasonable. You (personally) are young and are likely to have a fairly low premium. A friend age 46 paid under 1,000 pesos for a fairly low deductible for a policy from Alliance. His agent is Tejeda (hope I spelled that right).

My friend with Metlife bought from an agent next to Angelicas in San Antonio - don't know his name.

And I use Edgar Cedena who comes to LCS on Tues. and Thurs from 11:30 to 2pm. Edgar can get you quotes from many insurers. I've used Seguros Monterrey NY Life four times - three surgeries - 2 major, and one week in the hospital with pneumonia and each time I only paid the deductible and co-insurance when I left the hospital. I hear Alliance is good from someone who has used their coverage there.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 am

Simpsca........that is good information, but you still haven't answered the question of what insurance is available to those over 70.
I have a good friend to whom this is the all important question, so please do not ignore it.

As my old mum used to say: "if you stand around long enough on the planet......and are lucky......you'll get old". We all will.
Having to return to the States for medical reasons alone is not a desirable option for those who have lived in Mexico and love it.
Insurance companies crunch the numbers and have no qualms about denying coverage to the senior seniors.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:55 pm

gringal wrote:Simpsca........that is good information, but you still haven't answered the question of what insurance is available to those over 70.
I have a good friend to whom this is the all important question, so please do not ignore it.

As my old mum used to say: "if you stand around long enough on the planet......and are lucky......you'll get old". We all will.
Having to return to the States for medical reasons alone is not a desirable option for those who have lived in Mexico and love it.
Insurance companies crunch the numbers and have no qualms about denying coverage to the senior seniors.

Gringal - Each Insurance company has it's own age limit and reason to refuse because of pre existing conditions. Their Insurance is similar, including International and Catastrophic Illness. Segurous Monterrey age limit is 69, but I believe AXA is 64 (not sure). I have Segurous Monterrey with Edgar Cedeno Cadenas which after my 2 experiences believe to be the best. The best thing about Segurous Monterrey is that it's a NO LIMIT policy, except for the $ 50,000. USD in the US. You're not over 70 so don't worry about it.

Everyone can take any deductible they want, thus lowering premiums. My deductible is $ 22,500. pesos. If someones premiums might be too high and they want to use the Policy for a Major Medical policy and can afford it, they could take a $ 50,000. or $ 100,000 pesos deductible.

Segurous Monterrey refused my cousin because he had a pacemaker. My pre existing Epilepsy is not covered, but so what, I can afford to pay out of pocket for one week in a GDL hospital, if I need a medication change.

Everyone who wants private insurance needs to read the fine print as to what/what is not covered, hospitals you can use and where the deductibles apply. And buy the policy from a qualified, trustworthy agent like Edgar Cedeno or Jesus Tejada.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next