retraining your rescue dog

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

retraining your rescue dog

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am

Any tips from people who have done this before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are the problems.

1. Peeing on the terrazza tiles.
2. Pooping on the flagstone around the fountain
3. Eating poop. ARGGGGHHHHH GAG BARF
4. Stealing my things, only mine, not my husband's. Some are dangerous like pill splitters and a shot glass.

That's about it for the moment.

I have tried vinegar on the tiles, it left white marks.
I put hot sauce on the poop
I try to put everything out of sight but kleenex ferchrissakes. I have a cold.
Thefts, I have absolutely no idea. It happens every single morning without fail.

HEELLLPPPPP. Xanax has only been partially successful for Mom.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Re: retraining your rescue dog

Post by viajero on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:05 am

Hot sauce on the poop....lol...maybe some cebolla picada and cilantro to top it off...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor: Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 am

I have always had luck with putting a couple of drop of Tabasco on my index finger and then dabbing the dog's tongue while enforcing my actions with a firm NO. An alternative to this is the application of bitter apple. Both of these training methods are accepted and don't cause the animal any harm. From my experience, no more than 4 to 6 applications get their attention and bad habits go away.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

viajero wrote:Hot sauce on the poop....lol...maybe some cebolla picada and cilantro to top it off...

Yes I know Chris, mexican dog and hot sauce, it's a risk. I've heard it before. Onions are bad for dogs.

C.G. where does one get bitter apple? I'm desperate and on xanax ferchrissakes.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:50 am

E, I am in the same boat, however your's is drawing more water than mine. Currently, anyhow.

I am battling #s 1 and 2 as well as submission peeing.

What is working for me is crate training, she even goes into her crate on command now and she likes it. (It's been a month and a half) Also tying her up every time in the area of the garden where I want her to pee and poop is working. She will 90% of the time now CHOOSE to go there as I have made it very clear I am soooo happy when she does and she is such a goooooood girl when she does. She's getting it. The submission peeing is getting better as long as I ignore it and don't react to it at all.

Good luck, I think it will take a lot of patience but it will work. I keep reminding myself she has had 6 months of peeing and pooping on tile floors and cocheras and zero training so I will probably have to deal with retraining for a few months to turn it all around. Good thing she's cute!!!!

I would say to confine your doggie ALL the time for now unless you can watch her like a hawk and intervene when you catch the dog doing the unwanted behavior.

Suerte!

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 pm

E-raq:

Amazon has quite a variety and I have read where people have had luck with them shipping to Mexico:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywords=bitter+apple&sprefix=bitter+a%2Caps%2C617

I thought that I had read on TOB where one of the vets carried it but as per usual their search function didn't help. I did see where one person used Aloe which is apparently quite bitter to dogs. Another poster said oil of grapefruit seed while other posters said the local vets have various alternatives that they use to keep dogs from licking wounds.

A google search for "bitter apple alternatives" pops up a great deal of info.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks C.G. think I'll have friends bring it down when they come next month.

Trailrunner, it's a devil of a problem. Our last dog was trained as a puppy, never abandoned or abused.

Today, she peed on top of a poop with hot sauce on it. VERY CUNNING!!!!!

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:51 pm

E-raq:

You might check out YouTube as there are plenty of dog training videos on there covering many differing issues. Never know when you might pick up a tip that works.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:22 pm

E-raq wrote:

Apparently she didn't like your choice of hot sauce,try the habenero...

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor: Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:45 pm

viajero wrote:
E-raq wrote:

Apparently she didn't like your choice of hot sauce,try the habenero...

Hahahahaha, all we can do now is laugh. She's pissed off at me and peed in the kitchen 10 minutes ago. She has been banished back to the terrazza.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

E, I would suggest picking up the poop as soon as it is gifted to you. Immediately, if not sooner. Forget the flavor enhancers, don't believe that will work well.

Again, confine, confine, confine. As training gets reinforced or they begin to get it, give them a bigger area little by little. Also you must watch them like a hawk so you can intervene and interrupt any pending bad behaviors and if or when you are not able put them in the crate or on the tether in the garden or wherever it is you want them to eliminate.

Also suggest watching Cesar Milan videos and reading his advice. He knows his stuff.

The thing is it is a big pita, no doubt, but if you do it and do it right it will work in a relatively short period of time and then you will have a well mannered dog for the life of the dog. If you don't dedicate yourself to the chore, you will have a crazed hooligan that nobody will want around. . .for the life of the dog.

Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm

I thought this link was interesting...lots of really good suggestions.
http://askville.amazon.com/dogs-eat-poop-stop/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5785114
The better quality the food, the less poop as well. We feed Royal Canin kibble (hypoallergenic for Zorra) and there's very little excreted. Good quality ingredients mean better absorption. The soft canned dog food will eventually rot their teeth and cause other problems.
IMO, she's testing you for alpha superiority and her place in the pack...especially if she doesn't steal your hubby's stuff. Since she has already placed your hubby above herself and respects him, HE has to be the one to do the disciplining and set her in her place.
Zorra pulled this on me when she was six months old...growled when I tried to climb onto the bed beside my hubby while she was already lying there. Hubby booted her off the bed, welcomed me on the bed and gave me a big hug while she watched. Message received.
Pooping is usually within a 1/2 hour of eating a meal...that's going to be a tough call when you are feeding her all the time to get some meat back on her bones.
Peeing is usually immediately after waking up or when finishing playing. On a lead (and with a LOT of patience), take her where you want her to pee and say nothing except "go pee" repeatedly until she goes, then praise her and give her a small treat and let her off the lead. This is worth the time and effort because if you're going in the car somewhere, it's a bonus that she will pee on command. She'll be comfortable travelling and you won't have to worry about car accidents.
You have a couple of beautiful pups there and your patience will be rewarded exponentially. Pop another xanax...it's only been a week or so.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks all. I am the alpha around here, after hubby. I just cleaned up the mess, wiped it down with vinegar, she was scared to come in, had to have a toy, which her brother promptly removed, and was forced to smell the vinegar. This put her in her place. Then she ran out to hubby for reassurance. We both told her she was NEVER to do this again. "Do you understand this KIKI????? She barked quite loudly, so let's hope this has put an end to the testing.

They both got treats AFTER the lecture and Henry got a big hug for helping out.

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 pm

E-raq:

I would guess that you have figured out that training two differing personalities at the same time can be a bit of a challenge! However, you might be able to make this work in your favor? As with people, jealousy exists in animals too. If Kiki were to get the message that her brother was getting rewards for better behavior, she may just attempt to emulate his behavior to earn similar rewards? Just a thought.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:05 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:E-raq:

I would guess that you have figured out that training two differing personalities at the same time can be a bit of a challenge! However, you might be able to make this work in your favor? As with people, jealousy exists in animals too. If Kiki were to get the message that her brother was getting rewards for better behavior, she may just attempt to emulate his behavior to earn similar rewards? Just a thought.

Already in hand, thanks. She gets put out the back door while Henry gets to stay in with us.

BTW we had to go out for a couple of hours, I was terrified of what we might find on our return. Nothing no pee, no poop nothing ripped apart. It was great. ;-) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum