INSIDE LAKESIDE
Log In or Register

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Legalizing Car in Mexico

Go down

Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Hendy Here on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Looking for a contact that someone has used satisfactorily to help me legalize my van in Mexico. It meets the basic requirements of being a North American car and is 12 years old.
avatar
Hendy Here
Junior Member
Junior Member

Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-11-08
Location : Ajijic

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Jim W on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Hendy, I would speak to Intercasa, AKA Spencer.....376-765-7553. My understanding is the cost to legalize can run 20,000 pesos or more. Your insurance premium will also increase.
avatar
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5153
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 70
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by CheenaGringo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Hendy:

It appears that there are numerous people and/or organizations willing to separate you from $2000 to $3500USD using processes of questionable legality. If it were me and I had to have a Mexican plated vehicle, I would drive the current one to the border and sell it and replace it with a vehicle located through either Mark Turford or Spencer at S&S.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 6699
Join date : 2010-04-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by CanuckBob on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Jim W wrote:Hendy, I would speak to Intercasa, AKA Spencer.....376-765-7553. My understanding is the cost to legalize can run 20,000 pesos or more. Your insurance premium will also increase.

Jim, the insurance on my Mexican plated van with absolute full coverage is $380.00 year. On my Mexican plated VW it is $280.00 per year. How much less could your US plated vehicle be than that?
avatar
CanuckBob
Humble Administrator
Humble Administrator

Posts : 14172
Join date : 2010-04-04
Age : 54
Location : Lake Chapala (from Vancouver)
Humor : Sick and twisted

http://Www.casadecomo.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by joec on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:03 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Jim W wrote:Hendy, I would speak to Intercasa, AKA Spencer.....376-765-7553. My understanding is the cost to legalize can run 20,000 pesos or more. Your insurance premium will also increase.

Jim, the insurance on my Mexican plated van with absolute full coverage is $380.00 year. On my Mexican plated VW it is $280.00 per year. How much less could your US plated vehicle be than that?

How much did they figure your van is worth in USD?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1217
Join date : 2012-11-01
Age : 73
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Hendy Here on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:44 pm

First off this is Canadian plated so going to the US and getting rid of the van is as complicated as nationalizing it here. It is worth no more than about $3000 US.
Insurance is not much more than what I already pay as a foreign plated car here.

I'll call Spencer and see what he is prepared to do.

Thanks all.
avatar
Hendy Here
Junior Member
Junior Member

Posts : 23
Join date : 2012-11-08
Location : Ajijic

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by seisdedos on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 am

Intercasa was offering that service until he got burnt. Then he changed his tune. To meet the letter of the law, vehicles must be legalized at the border and not within the country.
avatar
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1315
Join date : 2012-06-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Jim W on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:20 am

CanuckBob wrote:
Jim W wrote:Hendy, I would speak to Intercasa, AKA Spencer.....376-765-7553. My understanding is the cost to legalize can run 20,000 pesos or more. Your insurance premium will also increase.

Jim, the insurance on my Mexican plated van with absolute full coverage is $380.00 year. On my Mexican plated VW it is $280.00 per year. How much less could your US plated vehicle be than that?


Bob, my 2011 Escape premium with full coverage is $277.50. The 2001 F150 Super Crew is $233.00. $500.00 deductible.
avatar
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 5153
Join date : 2010-04-24
Age : 70
Location : Chapala
Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by joec on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:03 am

Jim W wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
Jim W wrote:Hendy, I would speak to Intercasa, AKA Spencer.....376-765-7553. My understanding is the cost to legalize can run 20,000 pesos or more. Your insurance premium will also increase.

Jim, the insurance on my Mexican plated van with absolute full coverage is $380.00 year. On my Mexican plated VW it is $280.00 per year. How much less could your US plated vehicle be than that?


Bob, my 2011 Escape premium with full coverage is $277.50. The 2001 F150 Super Crew is $233.00. $500.00 deductible.

JimW - Good prices. Who is your Agent and your Insurance company? Have you had experience with them on a claim?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1217
Join date : 2012-11-01
Age : 73
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Intercasa on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 am

Very expensive and too much fraud, not advisable unless your car is worth $6,000 or more or it is something you cannot live without, it isn´t a solution to get rid of a clunker.
avatar
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 2790
Join date : 2010-04-05
Age : 47
Location : Chapala / Zapopan
Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Grizzy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 am

Try Bella Flores auto who operate out of Cabo. They have a local person and if you search here you should find their contact info. They will transport your vehicle to the border, do the paperwork and deliver it back, are bonded and insured. I would trust the information they supply.
avatar
Grizzy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 505
Join date : 2010-12-23
Location : Ajijic
Humor : mandatory

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by wheels on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:38 am

we legalized our car several years ago and simply drove to the border. Found a broker in Nuevo Laredo and it was painless. Took 3 days and we stayed in a hotel in Laredo and did some shopping. Cost was 11,000 pesos or 12,000 pesos. You then drive locally here and register your car. Very simple to do. Do not let people tell you that the insurance is more expensive because it is not. There are agents out there that will tell you otherwise but stay away from them.
pm me is you have more questions

wheels
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by joec on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 am

wheels wrote:we legalized our car several years ago and simply drove to the border. Found a broker in Nuevo Laredo and it was painless. Took 3 days and we stayed in a hotel in Laredo and did some shopping. Cost was 11,000 pesos or 12,000 pesos. You then drive locally here and register your car. Very simple to do. Do not let people tell you that the insurance is more expensive because it is not. There are agents out there that will tell you otherwise but stay away from them.
pm me is you have more questions

What kind of car do you drive and what is your insurance premium?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Posts : 1217
Join date : 2012-11-01
Age : 73
Location : West Ajijic
Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

insurance

Post by wheels on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:12 pm

joec wrote:
wheels wrote:we legalized our car several years ago and simply drove to the border. Found a broker in Nuevo Laredo and it was painless. Took 3 days and we stayed in a hotel in Laredo and did some shopping. Cost was 11,000 pesos or 12,000 pesos. You then drive locally here and register your car. Very simple to do. Do not let people tell you that the insurance is more expensive because it is not. There are agents out there that will tell you otherwise but stay away from them.
pm me is you have more questions

What kind of car do you drive and what is your insurance premium?

I sent you a pm

wheels
Senior member
Senior member

Posts : 50
Join date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Legalizing Car in Mexico

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum