INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trip To Puebla

+2
hound dog
Axixic
6 posters

Go down

Trip To Puebla Empty Trip To Puebla

Post by Axixic Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 am

I am planning a short trip to Puebla and I have read through Cheenagringo's various posts on this subject but I wonder if anyone has any further info.

Specifically, because I will be flying in and out, I wonder about the availability/costs of cabs there or should I consider renting a car? (Cheenagringo's posts suggest that driving there is problematic so... I dunno.) But any other info/insights will be most welcome.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Trip To Puebla Empty Re: Trip To Puebla

Post by hound dog Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

[quote="Axixic"]I am planning a short trip to Puebla and I have read through Cheenagringo's various posts on this subject but I wonder if anyone has any further info.

Specifically, because I will be flying in and out, I wonder about the availability/costs of cabs there or should I consider renting a car? (Cheenagringo's posts suggest that driving there is problematic so... I dunno.) But any other info/insights will be most welcome. [/quote]

I don´t think driving in Puebla is particularly problematic. It´s a big, spread out city but laid out on a grid and fairly easy to navigate. I don´t know about taxis as I have never taken a taxi there but because the city is so spread out, one has to know just what it is you plan to do there beforeegiving out advice. Just about everything a tourist would want to see or do there is within a short drive of the principal plaza so, if I were you i´d fly into town, or even Mexico City, and take a taxi to the principal plaza and plan from there. Great restaurants and hotels near the plaza. The rest of this huge city is a yawner. You probably want to visit Cholula but that´s done via taxi.

Come to think of it, unless you have some sort of excursions planned, forget the car rental.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

If you have an interest in the (ancient) history of Puebla Jim and Carole's Adventures blog is a must read.

http://www.cookjmex.blogspot.mx/search/label/Puebla
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Thank you both.

Where I am now is this: land at the airport, take a taxi to my hotel which is centro, hook up with a friend who lives there and has a car (if needed).

The airport is apparently about 45 mintues by car to centro - any idea what I can expect to pay for that?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

I haven't a clue but could you call/e-mail your friend or check their local boards if they have any?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Bob,
D'oh - sometimes I can be so dense.

Ask my friend, of course!
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm

oncesubtle wrote:If you have an interest in the (ancient) history of Puebla Jim and Carole's Adventures blog is a must read.

http://www.cookjmex.blogspot.mx/search/label/Puebla
Jim and Carole's Adventures blog is great,very informative and obviously a labor of love.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:52 pm

I am right now with people from Puebla and they are going home this week. They do not fly to Puebla but to Mexico and take a bus to Puebla. (2h) It is way cheaper to fly to Mexico than to Puebla so many people do not fly directly there. It is a 2 hour bus ride from the airport to Puebla.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:48 am

brigitte wrote:I am right now with people from Puebla and they are going home this week. They do not fly to Puebla but to Mexico and take a bus to Puebla. (2h) It is way cheaper to fly to Mexico than to Puebla so many people do not fly directly there. It is a 2 hour bus ride from the airport to Puebla.

I never looked at that option but Volaris has three flights from GDL per week and, depending on which ones you pick, they can be had for as little as US$60 each way.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 pm

I find this topic to be a revealing commentary on the activities or really lack of activity for many Gringos who live in Mexico. This forum with over 1200 members and only four members with Puebla experience. Or more closely defined, only four members willing to share their experiences. Now that Axixic has traveled there, we now have five.

How about some details on Puebla:
Capital of the State of Puebla
Recognized as one of the five most important Colonial Cities
Fourth largest city in Mexico
Deep roots in Mexican History

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 pm

I thought they closed the airport in Pubela so I guess the question is, is it still open?
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 am

It was on Wednesday when I left.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down