INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tech Talk Section

+8
Jim W
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
solajijic
ComputerGuy
joec
espíritu del lago
CanuckBob
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 Empty Re: New Tech Talk Section

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Great info, Oh, love the twit site.... Thanks all! Thumbs up

espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 am

HelperGuy wrote:They also can't determine where you are anyway, with any accuracy. You could be tracked maybe to a two-block radius; certainly not to your house.

DSL is a point to point technology like a landline phone. Cable is a shared resource in a neighborhood for example. I would think it easy to trace if you
were DSL technology. Am I missing something?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 am

espíritu del lago wrote:Great info, Oh, love the twit site.... Thanks all! Thumbs up

Isn't Leo Laporte a great guy for learning stuff and funny also? He also has a Chinese Degree if I remember correctly.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 am

Zedinmexico wrote:DSL is a point to point technology like a landline phone. Cable is a shared resource in a neighborhood for example. I would think it easy to trace if you were DSL technology. Am I missing something?Z
The ISP could pinpoint you, but the average person would have to hack into their records to get anything more than a generalization... and then that wouldn't be the average person, lol.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 am

O.K. bear with a techno dummy here for a moment please. Why would you want to hide your IP address here, where it changes every time you unplug your modem or there's a power outage?

If you live in an area like the U.S. or Canada, where you have a static IP, why would you want to use a hide my IP service? Does that in itself not look suspicious?
Just saying. Doesn't make any sense to me.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 am

I think generally speaking, people want to subscribe to NetFlix (and similar services, like watching TV shows on ABC.com), which you can't do if you are outside of the U.S.: the IP address tells NetFlix which country you are in, regardless of your modem resets. Canada has no NetFlix yet, and Mexico has Latin Netflix, so by hiding your IP address you can appear to be in the U.S., and therefore subscribe. Sort of like using Shaw Direct down here, by brushing aside the very grey area of satellite signal legalities.

And yes, hiding your IP is also common for folks downloading music and movies, in an effort to keep the recording association and others from tracking them.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 am

HelperGuy wrote:I think generally speaking, people want to subscribe to NetFlix (and similar services, like watching TV shows on ABC.com), which you can't do if you are outside of the U.S., because the IP address tells NetFlix that. Canada has no NetFlix yet, and Mexico has Latin Netflix, so by hiding your IP address you can appear to be in the U.S., and therefore subscribe. Sort of like using Shaw Direct down here, by brushing aside the very grey area of satellite signal legalities.

And yes, hiding your IP is also common for folks downloading music and movies, in an effort to keep the recording association and others from tracking them.

Thanks, easy way around that, get an apple T.V. awesome service for about $8 a month and an Itunes account, and legally buy your tunes at about $10 for a complete album or .99 for one.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 am

Graboid doesn't give a hoot where you are in the world. Still love it...just downloaded Argo. $20 a month for unlimited downloads.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 am

Hey, there are lots and lots of options. Just answering the question about "Why hide IP".

Graboid screwed up for me so much I finally quit. Plus, with Graboid you either watch on your computer or burn to disk, unless of course you are hooked up to your TV... but the quality suffers.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks, easy way around that, get an apple T.V. awesome service for about $8 a month and an Itunes account, and legally buy your tunes at about $10 for a complete album or .99 for one.

There's nothing at all wrong with being legal, that's for sure. But you would get an argument from those who pay under $10/month for NetFlix for just about any movie or TV show anytime, while Apple TV generally wants you to rent a single movie for $4.99 or buy for $20.

On the other hand, you can subscribe to NetFlix through Apple TV. And to watch on your TV, you must purchase an Apple TV box (not sure if the Apple stores here carry them?), whereas no hardware purchase is necessary for NetFlix if you have a SmartTV or a TV Internet connection.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:21 am

HelperGuy wrote:

There's nothing at all wrong with being legal, that's for sure. But you would get an argument from those who pay under $10/month for NetFlix for just about any movie or TV show anytime, while Apple TV generally wants you to rent a single movie for $4.99 or buy for $20.

On the other hand, you can subscribe to NetFlix through Apple TV. And to watch on your TV, you must purchase an Apple TV box (not sure if the Apple stores here carry them?), whereas no hardware purchase is necessary for NetFlix if you have a SmartTV or a TV Internet connection.

We have the Apple box, because the kids figure we're dinosaurs. What is aggravating is buying old movies such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which then is on regular T.V. two days later. $10 stinkin' bucks to Netflix down the drain. No more movie buying for us.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Hey, there are lots and lots of options. Just answering the question about "Why hide IP".

Graboid screwed up for me so much I finally quit. Plus, with Graboid you either watch on your computer or burn to disk, unless of course you are hooked up to your TV... but the quality suffers.

When was the last time you tried Graboid? The next time you're over here, I'll put up a show and you can tell me if the quality suffers.
A couple of things...I tweaked the resolution again to fill in the entire 50" screen and I only download the TV shows that are over 1000 mb (takes about 30 minutes). I did have a problem with Graboid and it went away when I cleared off the malware. It's been a dream for me.
At the present time, we are watching...
Alias, Covert Affairs, Deception, Falling Skies, Haven, Hawaii Five-0, Homeland, House of Cards, Hunted, Justified, Leverage, NCIS Los Angeles, Nikita, Person of Interest, Revolution, Silent Witness, The Following, The Mob Doctor, Unforgettable, Vegas, Wallander, White Collar, Utopia, Motive, Zero Hour and Touch....and movies. Some of those shows are in hiatus....and some of them, we never had the chance to watch before. Two shows a night or a movie.
I even made up our own TV guide chart and cross off the shows after we've watched them. Yeah, I know I'm anal.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 pm

I gave up on Graboid a couple of years ago. And these days I have a better way. The main difference between downloading from Graboid and downloading from torrent sites is that Graboid already has done the grabbing for you and put the programs on their servers, which are faster, because they are no longer torrent farms and come directly to you, for your money.

I get them from the torrents, put them on USB sticks, and plug them into my TV for a resolution that is usually much better than my HiDef channels. Including House of Cards, the NetFlix remake of a British series about political shenanigans at the highest levels. (NetFlix released all 13 of their first-ever produced TV series on the same night a few weeks ago.)

You might also get a laugh out of Season 3 of The Joe Schmo Show, a reality series about trying to become the next great bounty hunter... except all the contestants are actors, except one unsuspecting schmo...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Just finished watching Lincoln. FABULOUS movie! Anybody wanna bet? I say it's definitely Best Picture and Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor. I've been a fan of his for a long time...since I saw him in My Left Foot and Last of the Mohicans.
Reality TV shows are not my cup of tea.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Schmo is a parody of "reality" shows...
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:46 am

Ok... what I want to know is if below info will effect me: Will that have any consequences when I am in Mexico? If so what are Mexico's penaltys ?

Starting July 1, the nation’s largest Internet service providers (ISPs) have agreed to adopt a “Graduated Response” program intended to cut down on illegal file sharing. The program, colloquially known as the “six-strikes” system, is the brainchild of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) — the same industry groups that conjured up SOPA and PIPA. The system will affect millions of Internet users across the country. Whether you download your music and movies from the Internet or not, it is important for everyone to understand what the plan is, and how it could affect your life. Here is everything you need to know about “six-strikes.”

More:
Which ISPs are part of this plan?
The big ones. Those currently on board include AT&T, Cablevison, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon. Smaller, local ISPs are not yet included in the plan. But more may climb aboard by the time the plan sets sail this summer.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/six-strikes-and-youre-screwed-what-the-upcoming-piracy-crackdown-means-for-you/#ixzz2LoZd2jLb

I hope while in Mexico I will be free from these new regs and rules. I wish Spencer would keep us in touch with any legal news he hears or even gossip for that matter. I am sure if there is money to be made Slim will want some. By the way this is a must read article for everyone who travels abroad. What pisses me off is Verizon is going to reduce my speed if I am a repeat offender. Here ia another must read concerning just this:

From leaked AT&T training documents we learned that the company will block users’ access to popular websites until they complete a copyright education course. However, none of the participating Internet providers have publicly commented on the measures they plan to take, until now.

During a panel discussion hosted by the New York Chapter of the Internet Society, Verizon and Time Warner Cable unveiled details of their plans.

Link Hoewing, Vice President of Internet and Technology Issues for Verizon, said his company will employ a three stage process. The first two alerts will result in a simple notification email informing the users that their connection has been flagged for copyright infringements.

After the second warning comes the acknowledgment phase in which a popup is delivered users. Once received subscribers are required to read and confirm, a process designed to ensure that they are aware of the unauthorized sharing that’s taking place via their account.

If the infringements continue punishments become a reality on the fifth and the sixth alerts. Hoewing said that these repeated infringers will have their Internet connections throttled resulting in significantly slower download speeds. The throttling is temporary and will be lifted after two or three days.
http://torrentfreak.com/verizon-will-reduce-speeds-of-repeated-bittorrent-pirates-121115/

New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 968748
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 am

Based on past experience with Internet users, this plans seems unlikely to be successful, but who knows. And those are American companies; whether their Mexican counterparts will fall under the same umbrella, only time will tell, I guess.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 am

Yea, but are you saying I can do it while in MX, but not in New Zealand or wherever? scratch
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am

Sorry, no idea. You'd have to Google the regs for other countries.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

E-raq wrote:O.K. bear with a techno dummy here for a moment please. Why would you want to hide your IP address here, where it changes every time you unplug your modem or there's a power outage?

If you live in an area like the U.S. or Canada, where you have a static IP, why would you want to use a hide my IP service? Does that in itself not look suspicious?

When hiding your IP address is outlawed, only outlaws will hide their IP addresses. People want privacy for many reasons, for good or for nefarious reasons, and they have the right. Looking suspicious is hopefully not yet a crime. It doesn't have to make sense to you.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 am

merry wrote:
E-raq wrote:O.K. bear with a techno dummy here for a moment please. Why would you want to hide your IP address here, where it changes every time you unplug your modem or there's a power outage?

When hiding your IP address is outlawed, only outlaws will hide their IP addresses. People want privacy for many reasons, for good or for nefarious reasons, and they have the right. Looking suspicious is hopefully not yet a crime. It doesn't have to make sense to you.

merry

While I agree with what you said constitution and bill of rights scholars tend to think we have no right to privacy. Now since we have secret laws we have
no idea if we have any privacy or should we have any expectations with new terrorist laws that we can't even see cause they are secret laws. I know it is
a big chew to accept but what else are we to think if we have secret laws?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 am

Z, I didn't say we have an explicit right in the Constitution, that is a whole nother ball of wax and I'm not up for constitutional arguments right now.

I guess because this IS a really hot issue, people who want privacy need to protect it by whatever means they can. For example, I'm a writer and often research a long list of topics that could set off all the bells going at Langley. Authors would therefore be good candidates for hiding their IP address with no nefarious motive.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 am

merry wrote:Z, I didn't say we have an explicit right in the Constitution, that is a whole nother ball of wax and I'm not up for constitutional arguments right now.

I guess because this IS a really hot issue, people who want privacy need to protect it by whatever means they can. For example, I'm a writer and often research a long list of topics that could set off all the bells going at Langley. Authors would therefore be good candidates for hiding their IP address with no nefarious motive.

merry

This does make sense, and since I will be starting a book soon which will be highly controversial maybe I should consider it, even though I'm not an American.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:53 am

E-raq if your book involves any real people who might track you down and kill you, I'd definitely recommend hiding your IP address.

merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 am

Folks do you really think you can hop around and hide your IP against the US
NSA in North America?? Do your homework if you are serious about hiding but
getting a VPN in the US or Canada won't help you hide that much. Once again
you need to talk to a security person and they won't talk to you here on a
forum like this for obvious reasons. Yes it is an enormous amount of data out
there but the computers and data catching systems are very amazing. I
would suggest you do your touchy research on a system at the Library or
internet cafe that doesn't track folks. Simple but effective. Go to Guad and
disappear into the internet. I am assuming your subject matter is very touchy
as you said. Hiding from Netflix with a VPN is one thing....

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:18 am

Very good advice!! What amazes me is yes you are breaking the law acording to the new laws being passed and going into effect. We are so used to the way the net used to be when everything was free!

Folks pretty soon nothing will be free on the net, you will pay to watch movies and pay to download music. No more free rides. Sooner or later, sooner in some countries. The old saying if you wanna play you gotta pay!! Course there will always be freeloaders who want something for nothing! It's been that way since the beginning of time!!!
Thank You:
(RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) — the same industry groups that conjured up SOPA and PIPA.

Again I post this link, you might as well make yourself familiar with it, eventually it will effect you are someone you
know!!
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/six-strikes-and-youre-screwed-what-the-upcoming-piracy-crackdown-means-for-you/#ixzz2LoZd2jLb

So I will get off the New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 677358 and end my New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 87465

New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 633732 More coffee? Yep!! Surte New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 661816 New Tech Talk Section - Page 2 661816

Last edited by espíritu del lago on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link)
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next