INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm a Believer

5 posters

Go down

I'm a Believer Empty I'm a Believer

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Ok, cooked Bernardo's frozen, 2", wild, salmon steak tonight and . . . it was soooooooo good. The color was not as red as I expected but that was because it had been frozen not because it was farm raised. The texture was outstanding, as was the flavor. Total salmon heaven. Think I'll make sushi out of the scraps. Yummmmm
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

I'm a Believer Empty Re: I'm a Believer

Post by casi nada Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:56 am

Trailrunner wrote:Ok, cooked Bernardo's frozen, 2", wild, salmon steak tonight and . . . it was soooooooo good. The color was not as red as I expected but that was because it had been frozen not because it was farm raised. The texture was outstanding, as was the flavor. Total salmon heaven. Think I'll make sushi out of the scraps. Yummmmm

Who is Bernardo?

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 am

If you like the steaks, dem bones and all, you'll love those filets.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am

Bernardo is the gentleman who owns Ajijic Meat Center in the plaza behind Pemex on the Libramiento. Really nice guy, good meat, fish, chicken, and prepared foods.

I love the steaks, Gringal! Pan searing and baking at 400 for 10 min per inch gives the most succulent salmon, or any fish steak, ever.

I had no bone problem, just lift the circle of bones out of the center after it is cooked, along with any strays, and you're good to go. Lifts out so easily and usually completely intact.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 am

Trailrunner wrote:Bernardo is the gentleman who owns Ajijic Meat Center in the plaza behind Pemex on the Libramiento. Really nice guy, good meat, fish, chicken, and prepared foods.

I love the steaks, Gringal! Pan searing and baking at 400 for 10 min per inch gives the most succulent salmon, or any fish steak, ever.

I had no bone problem, just lift the circle of bones out of the center after it is cooked, along with any strays, and you're good to go. Lifts out so easily and usually completely intact.

Not the steaks we had. Dozens of the little devils. I think it was just that particular cut, though. We'll be back for more.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am

Great news! Bernardo began receiving fresh whole fish from BC just a few days ago. I bought some filets today from a fish that arrived yesterday. I thought this was a bit early in the year but when I got home I checked the BC fishing regs: Salmon fishing season opened the 1st of April! He should have a steady supply for several months now. BTW, if you see only whole or half fish in the case he will cut some any way you wish.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for the news. Will check it out.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I was just there too and the filets look terrific, bright color, good texture, and they are now freezing and were just icy when I saw them. yum

He also has started making fresh chicken burgers.

He said he will call or email me next week when he is due to receive the fresh salmon so I can grab a couple of them before they get frozen. I'll post here when he does in case anyone else wants to get some in that short fresh window.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Gracias Trairunner!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder